#1 luiji89

luiji89

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

hey,

first of all my mini is a 1989 city E the paint on the rear in not good, (faded and stuff) atm i cant really afford a re spray because i have just bought the car and insurance etc etc, i was thinking maybe instead of the rally circle and numbers being on the doors have a pair on either side on therear seat panel...

what you rekon?
if it will loook good i will do the other rally features: spots etc etc

Edited by tobestarrr, 22 August 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#2 m1tch

m1tch

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:16 PM

hey,

first of all my mini is a 1989 city E the paint on the rear in not good, (faded and stuff) atm i cant really afford a re spray because i have just bought the car and insurance etc etc, i was thinking maybe instead of the rally circle and numbers being on the doors have a pair on either side on therear seat panel...

what you rekon?

Have you thought about t-cutting it or is it just bad paint? I found that I washed and waxed my roof and it went from white to a shiny cream it was ment to be lol :)

Rally numbers are cool though :D Ive just re-sprayed by bonnet with halfords paint and put a bonnet stripe on it :)

#3 luiji89

luiji89

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

hey,

what you rekon?

Have you thought about t-cutting it or is it just bad paint? I found that I washed and waxed my roof and it went from white to a shiny cream it was ment to be lol :)

Rally numbers are cool though :D Ive just re-sprayed by bonnet with halfords paint and put a bonnet stripe on it :)

thanks for the reply and it has like millions of cracks kinda thing... my uncle valets cars so he said he will try his best if not ill do the rally numbers.. it will make it unique because of the placement i thinks its a waste getting it re sprayed now because its rust free etc

#4 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

kinda like this?

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

Most high street insurers will charge you more for having numbers on your car. Check with yours first.

#6 m1tch

m1tch

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

Most high street insurers will charge you more for having numbers on your car. Check with yours first.

Any reason for that? lol it seems silly when you pay more for small changes like that, even though they aren't actually insured if they get damaged lol I guess it would be under 'non-standard exterior decal'

Edited by m1tch, 22 August 2009 - 09:54 PM.

#7 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:10 AM

Some insures will charge you for any mod, just because they want to rip you off. Ask your insurers before putting numers, and if someone will say 'they're illegal', well, he doesnt know what hes talking about. Driving a car with rally style numers on the doors is legal.
If the insurance will charge you for the mod, fit just the roundels without the number, then when insurance expires, change them. Simple.

#8 19rab82

19rab82

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Local Club: scottish mini

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

you can get away with it if the number is on another colour backround,ie gray

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,050 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

Real rally drivers, as opposed to 'poseurs', don't drive around with rally numbers on their doors. If they do the RACMSA (the sport's governing body in the UK) can and will remove their competition licence for a period of time, thus disqualifying them from any further competition. I always take mine off at the end of an event or after I take it off its trailer and go on the road with it.
So, anyone you see with rally numbers is not a real rally driver and, no, it doesn't look 'cool', just silly. It gets real rally drivers a bad name.

#10 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

Not all of us are so priviledged that we can afford to compete in motorsport. Some of us appriciate the sport and want to replicate it. Just like wearing your football team's shirt! You don't hear David Beckham calling people 'silly' for pulling on their team's colours.

Edited by Pooky, 25 August 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

You don't have to be priviledged to compete in motorsport. One club of which I am a member has all levels of motorsport from 50 mile evening rallies to full-on special stage events. If you want to do it, then you can do it and in a Mini if you wish.
Anyway, driving around posing with rally numbers on cars which are not rally cars and are not actually competing in an event is not like wearing a football shirt. It is not showing appreciation for a specific team by giving them extra profit by buying their branded goods. By all means buy and wear a Mini sweat-shirt or jacket. That equates to your Beckham analogy. I wear a sweat-shirt with a Cooper 'S' on it sometimes.
I started rallying when I was a hard-up 18-year old apprentice and went without other things to succeed. I used to work on other peoples cars to make enough extra cash to compete and we prepared the cars ourselves. Anyone with the dedication to motor sport can do the same.
Yes, I do object to 'boy-racers' and 'posers' driving around bringing the sport which I have loved and competed in for almost 50 years into disrepute.
No, it doesn't look 'cool'.
Yes, it does look very stupid.

#12 lindy119

lindy119

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Local Club: looking for one!!

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

Well.......each to their own opinion....personally i really like the numbers look and i don't think it does give rallying a bad name....disrepute? why? how? And I think it is one way of paying homage to the great rallying mini, it may not be the same as buying a Paddy Hopkirk jumper but theres certainly nothing wrong with it.

Unless the person who is driving, is driving like a b*ll end then whats wrong with sticking a number on your door?

and its not just the monetary aspect of being able to rally. Most people probably are able to afford it but can't get the time because of jobs and families and other commitments etc etc..

#13 Fire_monkey

Fire_monkey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

You don't have to be priviledged to compete in motorsport. One club of which I am a member has all levels of motorsport from 50 mile evening rallies to full-on special stage events. If you want to do it, then you can do it and in a Mini if you wish.
Anyway, driving around posing with rally numbers on cars which are not rally cars and are not actually competing in an event is not like wearing a football shirt. It is not showing appreciation for a specific team by giving them extra profit by buying their branded goods. By all means buy and wear a Mini sweat-shirt or jacket. That equates to your Beckham analogy. I wear a sweat-shirt with a Cooper 'S' on it sometimes.
I started rallying when I was a hard-up 18-year old apprentice and went without other things to succeed. I used to work on other peoples cars to make enough extra cash to compete and we prepared the cars ourselves. Anyone with the dedication to motor sport can do the same.
Yes, I do object to 'boy-racers' and 'posers' driving around bringing the sport which I have loved and competed in for almost 50 years into disrepute.
No, it doesn't look 'cool'.
Yes, it does look very stupid.

now i don't want to argue... but you seem to be coming across as the sort of person that think "i do this so i am better than you"... i see it in every sport i do (from vollyball to scuba diving)

i have rally numbers and i don't rally... WHY? Because i love the look of retro rally/miglia cars

and to be honest going by what all my friends say rally numbers are cool! and i am young so i don't know what stupid is :D

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

If you think it makes you and your car look good, then so be it. All I can tell you is that anyone who actually competes in motor sport will know that anyone driving around the roads with numbers on is most definately not an actual competitor in any sort of UK motorsport and will consider those with numbers on to be 'boy-racers' and 'posers'. It is just a 'look at me' syndrome which can only attract adverse attention, especially from the 'Old Bill'.
That is not 'elitism', it's just fact. When I was younger I used to own a share in a light aeroplane, but whilst I have the highest regard for combat aircraft and pilots, I didn't put RAF markings on it and swasticas under the canopy like the RAF boys did in WW2 in order to pose as a would-be fighter pilot, even though I was young then and 'didn't know what stupid was'.
If some in the Mini enthusiast fraternity have now become the sort who want to 'make believe' that they are rally drivers, whilst driving around in cars which don't even look like rally cars, then all I can say is that it's a shame for all of us true Mini enthusiasts.
The Ferrari and Porsche marques have as much or more sporting history than the Mini, but you don't see those cars driven around by make-believe racing drivers sporting stick-on numbers. I wonder why. Perhaps their owners have too much sense.

#15 Fire_monkey

Fire_monkey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

If you think it makes you and your car look good, then so be it. All I can tell you is that anyone who actually competes in motor sport will know that anyone driving around the roads with numbers on is most definately not an actual competitor in any sort of UK motorsport and will consider those with numbers on to be 'boy-racers' and 'posers'. It is just a 'look at me' syndrome which can only attract adverse attention, especially from the 'Old Bill'.
That is not 'elitism', it's just fact. When I was younger I used to own a share in a light aeroplane, but whilst I have the highest regard for combat aircraft and pilots, I didn't put RAF markings on it and swasticas under the canopy like the RAF boys did in WW2 in order to pose as a would-be fighter pilot, even though I was young then and 'didn't know what stupid was'.
If some in the Mini enthusiast fraternity have now become the sort who want to 'make believe' that they are rally drivers, whilst driving around in cars which don't even look like rally cars, then all I can say is that it's a shame for all of us true Mini enthusiasts.
The Ferrari and Porsche marques have as much or more sporting history than the Mini, but you don't see those cars driven around by make-believe racing drivers sporting stick-on numbers. I wonder why. Perhaps their owners have too much sense.

Fair points, and i respect your opinions.

But there is no-way in hell you can compare driving a car in a rally to putting ones life on the line for one's country!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users