40 replies to this topic

#31 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

If you think it makes you and your car look good, then so be it. All I can tell you is that anyone who actually competes in motor sport will know that anyone driving around the roads with numbers on is most definately not an actual competitor in any sort of UK motorsport and will consider those with numbers on to be 'boy-racers' and 'posers'. It is just a 'look at me' syndrome which can only attract adverse attention, especially from the 'Old Bill'.
That is not 'elitism', it's just fact. When I was younger I used to own a share in a light aeroplane, but whilst I have the highest regard for combat aircraft and pilots, I didn't put RAF markings on it and swasticas under the canopy like the RAF boys did in WW2 in order to pose as a would-be fighter pilot, even though I was young then and 'didn't know what stupid was'.
If some in the Mini enthusiast fraternity have now become the sort who want to 'make believe' that they are rally drivers, whilst driving around in cars which don't even look like rally cars, then all I can say is that it's a shame for all of us true Mini enthusiasts.
The Ferrari and Porsche marques have as much or more sporting history than the Mini, but you don't see those cars driven around by make-believe racing drivers sporting stick-on numbers. I wonder why. Perhaps their owners have too much sense.

I dont think for one minute that a mini with numbers on would attract adverse attention form the "old bill"

Thought the numbers thing was about styling much the same as some motorcycle maunfactures (like all of the main ones) produce race replicas for road use.

Think you ought to define "true mini enthusiasts" as the original post was from a enthusisat just wantng to sort his car out.

#32 rendersonique

rendersonique

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.dcmoc.co.uk

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

I guess I'm too old these days. I have held an international competition licence since I was 23 and the thought of losing it through driving on the roads with numbers on the doors is something I could or would never risk. This approach applies to all competition drivers who have nothing to prove on the roads.
S'pose I just can't see the point of it.
One of my rally cars is a red Cooper 'S' with a white roof and big white door squares. However, it never has numbers on it except when competing on an event. Once when it had to go on show after an event, I covered the numbers up with tape whilst driving it on the road. That's how numbers on road cars is viewed by competitors.
OK, so that makes me a bit of an arse possibly, just as having door numbers makes others posers and 'boy-racers'.

I used to have numbers on my car (I am ashamed to say) but they lasted the best part of 2 weeks. I soon saw the error of my ways and now only have the black squares on the doors. I am in two minds wether or not to get rid of these aswell. However, what I will say is it's your car. If you belive that everybody that looks at your car when you drive past them is thinking that its cool, you may be sadly disapointed. It will make your car stand out, but may be for the wrong reasons.

Andy

#33 CooperMad93

CooperMad93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:58 AM

I used to have numbers on my car (I am ashamed to say) but they lasted the best part of 2 weeks. I soon saw the error of my ways and now only have the black squares on the doors. I am in two minds wether or not to get rid of these aswell. However, what I will say is it's your car. If you belive that everybody that looks at your car when you drive past them is thinking that its cool, you may be sadly disapointed. It will make your car stand out, but may be for the wrong reasons.

Andy
[/quote]

The most reasonable comment yet. I too had two minds whether or not to have rally numbers on the side of my car yes they do look attractive to ones self, but maybe not in the eyes of others... that aside i went ahead and got some rally stickers on the side of my windows, and you know what, it looked so much better with them and people knew my name :P sadly my thoughts got the better of me and i took them off paranoid that people thought i was just some D**k when in all respect i'm not. I just can't get enough of Minis compared to modern trash! hmm like most things nowadays haha. Do what ever makes you happy...

Attached Files

#34 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

EDIT Just noticed how old this thread is so I withdraw :P

Edited by Teapot, 31 December 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#35 minim@t

minim@t

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

Amits all the disscution for and against, were you thinking something along these lines?

#36 Bobby9779

Bobby9779

Two carb man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Local Club: H4H Mini's

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

Hey all,

Just to put another spin on this.

I have been thinking about it.

Is it legal to have a road car with a number on (as I am thinking of doing it) or does it need to have a cross through the number?

Anyone shed any light?

Regards,

Russ

#37 Bobby9779

Bobby9779

Two carb man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Local Club: H4H Mini's

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

Did some more searching.

Found the answer out, nevermind.

Cheers guys,

Russ

#38 BGB

BGB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Local Club: East Lothian Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

I looked into this last year.

More than one Police force confirmed with me that there is nothing illegal on how or what decals are on your car as long as they Do not obscure your vision in any way. (ie dont cover all your windows)

Alo my PC mate says they shouldnt distract other drivers. (ie dont have lifesize pictures of naked women) or conseal potentially dangerous defects in the car. (i presume it means dont use duct tape to hold your doors on)

and before anyone gets out the rule book about rally numbers being crossed out.

Those rules are set by the Rally organisers or Insurance companies NOT law enforcement.

http://www.theminifo...x...umbers&st=0

Edited by BGB, 10 January 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#39 spi-bwk

spi-bwk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Local Club: Scarborough Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Get a number '69' on the side.

Pure comedy value....and ultimately harmless. :thumbsup:

#40 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Also my PC mate says they shouldnt distract other drivers. (ie dont have lifesize pictures of naked women)

http://www.theminifo...x...umbers&st=0

Oh buGGer............. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#41 spi-bwk

spi-bwk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Local Club: Scarborough Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Just found a sudden interest in your bootlid if you have any pics? hahahaha