mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

:)

Hi, now that I have U-POL Gravitex stonechip, i just need a bit of advice on exaclty where to apply it. I know that it should be applied to under the rear arches, rear valence closing plates, under wings etc, anywhere where stones and dirt will be flung up from the road. I also plan to apply it under the sills.

But what about to the whole floor? Is adding it to the width of the sills good enough in anyones experience, or is is better to cover the whole floor area up to the tunnel?

Thanks

#17 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

I applied it to the whole underside of the car - everything below the seam that runs round the bottom! On the bulkhead, I went up to the top of the toeboard. Also inside the wings, inner wings, etc. Depending on how you put it on you can achieve finishes between almost smooth to very textured. It can also be sanded if there are areas where you want the protection and not the textured finish (a good example would be the front panel under the bumper).

JR

#18 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

Bit of a hijack, but whats the rough type of underseal thats applied in the factory or whats the next best thing to buy now?

Paul.

You can buy the stuff used in the factory, it's much thicker than stonechip, but requires a special air fed applicator gun. It's called splatter sealant.

#19 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

I'd use it for under the arches, and the sills if you don't mind a textured finish, could do the floor if you like, for maximum protection. Bear in mind, it's quite thick, so mask off any areas where the fit of components is vital, subframe mounting points etc.

#20 CraigyBoy

CraigyBoy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

I used Gravitex on my bulkhead when i recently stripped and re-did it. I used Gravitex because it covers any little imperfections on the metal finish.

I used grey and then sprayed it matt black, looking back at it now I would have do it with the black Gravitex, but turned out well I think.

= )

Edited by CraigyBoy, 14 September 2009 - 10:08 AM.

#21 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

make sure that you mask up really well as gravitex goes everywhere.

gratiotex is good as you don't need to have a powerful compressor either

#22 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

to be honest stone chips ace and can be painted over ive used it on the interior floor, engine bay and all the underneath wheel arches sill ect

top stuff and when given a top coat of hammerite looks quite good :)

#23 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

I was looking into the Gravitex stuff and it says you can paint it on.

Has anyone tried it?

Any comments on painting vs spraying? (Im just thinking it will be easier for me to paint it)

#24 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:35 PM

If you brush it, you'll get brush marks and not the textured finish you get with a gun. Also might be difficult to get an even finish.

LOOKY ERE ME LOVER

#25 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

If you brush it, you'll get brush marks and not the textured finish you get with a gun. Also might be difficult to get an even finish.

LOOKY ERE ME LOVER

I have now applied Gravitex to the sills, rear arches, front wings, inner wings. Its got a really nice texture, and I left it for 24 hrs before painting over. It's top stuff as I have found, I would really recommend it to anything else. I have the Sealey underbody sealant gun and from a compressor it works a treat. I set it to 4.5 bar and this gives a nice orange peel texture.

#26 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

Can you get a clear stonechip which you can spray over paintwork?

Ive found with my sills the paint is chipping off showing the stonechip underneath.

#27 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:13 PM

LOOKY ERE ME LOVER

I have now applied Gravitex to the sills, rear arches, front wings, inner wings. Its got a really nice texture, and I left it for 24 hrs before painting over. It's top stuff as I have found, I would really recommend it to anything else. I have the Sealey underbody sealant gun and from a compressor it works a treat. I set it to 4.5 bar and this gives a nice orange peel texture.

Hi John

It comes in 1ltr tubs I understand. I am due to do mine soon, how much did you use?

Thanks

Steve

#28 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

Can you get a clear stonechip which you can spray over paintwork?

Ive found with my sills the paint is chipping off showing the stonechip underneath.

No.

#29 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

Bit of a hijack, but whats the rough type of underseal thats applied in the factory or whats the next best thing to buy now?

Paul.

You can buy the stuff used in the factory, it's much thicker than stonechip, but requires a special air fed applicator gun. It's called splatter sealant.

Hahaha I tried this stuff once and its absolute garbage, don't ever ever ever bother with it.

#30 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

LOOKY ERE ME LOVER

Hi John

It comes in 1ltr tubs I understand. I am due to do mine soon, how much did you use?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve
Well, yes, it comes in 1L platic bottle to be applied with a shultz type underseal gun. anyway, to answer your question, one bottle covered 1 sill, 1 complete under wing area (wing, and inner wing, inside front panel, inside 1 rear arch and valence closing panel.
So if my maths is right, to do the sills, rear arches, under wing areas you would likely use 2L. Probably around 3 or 4 litres if you did the entire floor as well.

Edited by mk=john, 16 September 2009 - 09:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users