110 replies to this topic

#31 Calman

Calman

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

I havent read this apart from the OP, but i spoke too my dad about this as a future idea.

I was thinking about using Polycarb for the front two sliding windows on my Mk2 because mine generally are quite stiff to move and make hidious high pitch noises as if something is scraping, whereas Polycarb would be lighter - easier to move, and wouldnt make the noises.

But he said Polycarb is useless because it scratches very easily and after a while, it clouds up. (Not condensation the plastics itself)

I was just wondering if your stuff is any different.

Thanks (Again sorry if this has already been covered)

#32 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hi

Our polycarbonate is UV protected both sides, so will not cloud up/ go yellowy. Your Dad has probably seen this happen to older race/rally cars, where they have Perspex/Acrylic windows which deteriorate over time much worse than our Polycarbonate, as they were not UV protected.

Polycarbonate is a softer material hence why you cannot break it. It will scratch lightly over time, but not so badly you can't see out of it! We could buy an anti-scratch polycabonate, but at nearly 8x the price we don't see it a viable option.

To put it into perspective, a friend of mine has had his ones in his Mini Van for quite a while now, and there are only very very minimal scratches in a few areas, nothing really noticeable unless you looked closely at them. Just make sure the vertical draught excluder is always nice and clean between the windows and you shouldn't have a problem.

Cheers
Dan

#33 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:18 PM

Edited by mini-man-dan, 08 June 2021 - 09:26 AM.

#34 smoggy_clubman

smoggy_clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local Club: not yet!

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:21 PM

Im really interested but would like some sort of locking mech too even if the scum bags cant get there hand in dont mean they wont put other stuff in!! As for macie D's ill just open the door lol.
Ill be in touch when the funds arrive! lol

#35 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

Edited by mini-man-dan, 08 June 2021 - 09:26 AM.

#36 Calman

Calman

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

Hi

Our polycarbonate is UV protected both sides, so will not cloud up/ go yellowy. Your Dad has probably seen this happen to older race/rally cars, where they have Perspex/Acrylic windows which deteriorate over time much worse than our Polycarbonate, as they were not UV protected.

Polycarbonate is a softer material hence why you cannot break it. It will scratch lightly over time, but not so badly you can't see out of it! We could buy an anti-scratch polycabonate, but at nearly 8x the price we don't see it a viable option.

To put it into perspective, a friend of mine has had his ones in his Mini Van for quite a while now, and there are only very very minimal scratches in a few areas, nothing really noticeable unless you looked closely at them. Just make sure the vertical draught excluder is always nice and clean between the windows and you shouldn't have a problem.

Cheers
Dan

Ok thanks for clearing that up, i'll speak too him later, and who knows i could well be selling my glass :D

Edited by Calman, 23 October 2009 - 09:40 PM.

#37 Calman

Calman

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

Back agin just trwling through the site and relised the sliding windows on the site are piece in the middle and not like a Mk1/Mk2. Is it possible to get the early type or if not a larger standad slider?
Thanks

#38 Jack Jones

Jack Jones

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:39 AM

Hi Jack
We've just taken delivery of some professional windscreen/window fitting bond and bond kits. I'll have to talk to my Dad about the prices/ what is included in the kit.
The sliders are pretty water-tight. My brother had his white Mini on the road all the time with sliders in and, if it rained heavy, he only noticed a very slight weep of water coming through. There isn't a way of completely sealing them, but water will not pour through them!
Cheers
Dan

if you could pm me the details of the stuff please, i'll try and raise the fund for the next week or two
thanks
jack

#39 ad53ggz

ad53ggz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:38 AM

im having a nightmare off a time trying to fix your rear window the one that goes into the rubber in the car, done a front screen now and all the sides but for some reason the rubber keeps sliding off the car any tips?

may need to buy one that can just rivet on what is estimated time from order to deliery as this is all i need now cheers

Hi
The rear windows we supply do fit, but they are quite tight. This is to ensure it doesn't pop out if any pressure gets behind it.
I'll speak to my Dad this evening about the best way of fitting it.

Dan

any joy?

#40 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

Back agin just trwling through the site and relised the sliding windows on the site are piece in the middle and not like a Mk1/Mk2. Is it possible to get the early type or if not a larger standad slider?
Thanks

Yep, we have 2 the 2-piece early type. I just haven't had 5 minutes to update the website! :gimme:
They are normally £59.99 for all 4, but with discount they are £50.99 + P&P

im having a nightmare off a time trying to fix your rear window the one that goes into the rubber in the car, done a front screen now and all the sides but for some reason the rubber keeps sliding off the car any tips?

may need to buy one that can just rivet on what is estimated time from order to deliery as this is all i need now cheers

Hi
The rear windows we supply do fit, but they are quite tight. This is to ensure it doesn't pop out if any pressure gets behind it.
I'll speak to my Dad this evening about the best way of fitting it.

Dan

any joy?

Ok, just spoken to him now.
The best way to do it is as follows:
Put both bottom corners in, and lip in the whole of the bottom of the window. Then begin to lip in the sides, gradually going upwards. Once you are about half way up, place in the top 2 corners. Hold pressure onto these corners and lip in the rest of the sides. Making sure you still have pressure on the corners, work gradually into the middle at the top. It will be tight!
Cheers
Dan :P

#41 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

Hi Jack
We've just taken delivery of some professional windscreen/window fitting bond and bond kits. I'll have to talk to my Dad about the prices/ what is included in the kit.
The sliders are pretty water-tight. My brother had his white Mini on the road all the time with sliders in and, if it rained heavy, he only noticed a very slight weep of water coming through. There isn't a way of completely sealing them, but water will not pour through them!
Cheers
Dan

if you could pm me the details of the stuff please, i'll try and raise the fund for the next week or two
thanks
jack

The bond is a 310ml tube of professional windscreen bond, and is £10.99 per tube. P&P is added if you are just buying the bond, but with a set of windows we will put it in the same package, so no extra postage will be added.
Dan :gimme:

#42 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:00 PM

Bump! :D

#43 Calman

Calman

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

Thanks

Yep, we have 2 the 2-piece early type. I just haven't had 5 minutes to update the website! :D
They are normally £59.99 for all 4, but with discount they are £50.99 + P&P

Just noticed this topic back up, that sounds great cheers.

Do you know when the details will be up on th site?

Thanks

#44 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

I'll get something done up asap, quite busy at the moment. If you want to order them just PM me :D
Dan :)

Edited by mini-man-dan, 03 November 2009 - 04:41 PM.

#45 Calman

Calman

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

Ok cheers :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users