#16 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

Start the engine from cold and then check for drips of water around the back box and joints. The hole doesnt need to be big to cause problems, but readings of 1.2 and 1.4 mean its a fair size.

If the actual engine lambda was 1.4, I doubt very much it would run at idle and severe hesitation would be experienced if it did. At 1.2 lambda, the engine will run quite happily, It will run, of sorts at idle, but idle quality would be poor. Sudden accelerator pedal movements could even stall the engine.

taking the car for a good blast, will not clear this problem.

Other possabilities are that the lambda sensor on the Testing machine is goosed, or the the probe has not been pushed far enough into the exhaust.

If the car generaly drives well, idles well, and any diagnostic confirms the same, its a leaky exhaust no doubt about it

#17 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

I am having similar trouble with my Mpi at the moment, turned out the majority of my trouble was coming from a bad joint in the exhaust even thought it looked and sounded normal, but I can't get the lambda down under 1.27. It is a stage 4 so emission trouble is to be expected.

Will putting a new lambda sensor in make any difference as the reading is taken from the tailpipe and not the sensor itself?

Dan

You started a thread with your problem and said you were getting lambda of 1.4. Now your saying its 1.2. What has changed, and changing the lambda sensor wpnt make any difference if the engine drives and idles well.

I suggest you have a diagnostic done to determine any issues before spending money on a part that might be working fine. Alternatively you can test the lambda sensor. I described the process involved in one of the pinned topics, but there is no getting away from the acuracy of the diagnostic.

#18 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Local Club: irishminis.ie

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:46 PM

the problem is where i live no one has a diagnostic tester for the mini. my main consern is that the vac line to the ecu was full of petrol is this normal or should i be worries about this??

#19 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

could try redex, I bet it will help but I'm not sure it will help enough... My dad's car was gonna fail but redex did the trick

#20 theoldmini

theoldmini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

I have the same problem. My co at high revs was just below 1 amd the HC was less than 200. I have rreplaced Lamda and coolant sensors . What is the next option. thanks

#21 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:49 PM

start a new thread and post the full emissions test result and some one might be able to help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users