#46 Saoirse

Saoirse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:47 PM

Please PLEASE stop making stuff up..

As for not providing the right panels? This is off an old message...

Me:
"Hi, this is what I plan to buy - 2 inner wings, 2 a panels, front panel, 1 inner wing right hand side, 1 floor panel right hand side.

Please could you take a look and check they are the right ones to fit on the mini?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...14#ht_615wt_907

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...4#ht_760wt_1084

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...4#ht_1259wt_752

What ya reckon?

Cheers for popping over today, Saoirse"

You:
"That all looks fine to me just let the guy with front end know you need side indicators

Let me know when its arrived and we'll arrange a couple of days to do it."

As for the reason for this post? Well, if someone was going around damaging property, I would warn my neighbours; compare this to that and it is very similar. If you look at the original post, it was in no way spiteful. This could have easily been a private discussion if you had contacted me in the last 5 weeks.

#47 widerim_pickup

widerim_pickup

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Local Club: nope

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:54 PM

So you would travel for 45 mins to a house to work on a car remove the front, realise the scuttle panels you asked to be supplied were not there and then go home?

Yes i would, if i wasn't able to do the job properly then that's how it would have to be, but my wasted time would be charged for.

How can you charge someone for not doing anything? i don't ask for any payment until job is done, so spend most of the time out of pocket then get reimbursed at the end when they are happy.

Yes i do own a set of hammers and dollies and have suitable skills to match. However im not harry potter or uri geller. These panels require more than a gentle, pursuasive tap. Most of the join line doesn't meet which means i have to stretch the metal a lot or rebend the flanges so they meet.

The way they have been fitted as said above is unconventional but imo nessacary, as i want the lines to be right and thats the best way i can see of doing it. I'm not offering to give her new panels and let someone else do it when i haven't really had the chance to sort it out myself.

#48 widerim_pickup

widerim_pickup

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Local Club: nope

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

Saoirse,

When i came to see you i do remember mentioning that the scuttle may need repairing and panels should be sourced, i have overlooked that myself so i apologise. My offer to rectify the work for £200 still stands and if i can't get the front to look correct (which i feel i can) i'll replace it with new panels out of the £200 and refit them as well. Its the only way i feel is mutually beneficial. Pictures of the work would be availible throughout if you decide to leave it in my care.

Damien

#49 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: Cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:52 PM

How can you charge someone for not doing anything? i don't ask for any payment until job is done, so spend most of the time out of pocket then get reimbursed at the end when they are happy.
If i took a round trip of an hour and a half for nothing, for a job that couldn't be completed and it was the customers fault then the time is chargeable. If it was my fault then i would wear it though. Quoting a job is not chargeable though.

Most of the join line doesn't meet which means i have to stretch the metal a lot or rebend the flanges so they meet

You're getting the idea now, that's how to do it with these panels.

#50 Hekmat

Hekmat

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

Wildrim did my welding a while back. I am no welder so can not comment on the techniques used, but can certainly say that the finish results are excellent. Pics are on my project page Here and here.

Edited by Hekmat, 26 October 2009 - 08:27 AM.

#51 Calman

Calman

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

Someone mentioned legal action...? what the hell you cant sue someone/take them too court for doing you a favor effectivly. (Seen as he hasnt been paid)

Its like asking your mate to come and fit a kitchen unit, he sliped and makes a piece too short so you take em to small claims and persist they buy you a new bit!

It dosnt happen!

#52 robtheplod

robtheplod

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:32 AM

Legal action is not the way forward for either of you. There seems to have been many assumptions, but if one party offers to carry out the work for an agreed price, using agreed parts (panels), then there does not seem to be any reason for what actually happend.

Doing work like this is always risky as there is little come back for the customer should problems occur - there are no 'favours' etc when you have a paying customer and there is still a duty of care by the worker to carry out the job to a reasonable level.

You should now both be discussing this privately.

As an aside I was always under the impression when replacing both wings and the front panel it's easier to do this off the car where access to the rear seam is easier and the welding can then be hidden? This is how mine was done.

Edited by robtheplod, 26 October 2009 - 07:37 AM.

#53 dave21478

dave21478

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:42 AM

wow.
do you honestly believe you will be able to tack weld and pull such a large gap closed? its just not possible without distorting the panels. As I said, those panels need serious metalwork to improve the fit before ever plugging in a welder.

Everyones techniques are different, and im sure some people dont like the way others do things, and if you have done this in the past with success, then fair enough, and I wish you luck, should the owner offer you the chance to finish the job.

However,
Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING excuses fitting the a-panels over the top of the rusty door post, and absolutely nothing excuses not replacing the scuttle first, or as a very bare minimum, repairing the rot underneath around the vent etc. Not having the panel to hand is no excuse, and I cant think of any way to repair that scuttle having already welded on the wings that doesnt involve crumpled up copies of The Sun and a tub of P38.
You say this is work-in-progress and the final result will look good - that may well prove to be so, but it will not last. The car will need more serious repairs in a very short space of time.

Im not a qualified body repairer and I dont have any paper qualifictions for my welding abilities, but I am a competant amateur who takes pride in what he does, and I would not do that to any car, whether my own or as a favour to someone, and have a clear conscience. This is shonky bodge work at its worst - a pretty veneer over true horrors underneath, passed off as quality work.

#54 minili

minili

Awesome and Flattering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,140 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:45 AM

I think this should really be sorted out between widerim and saoirse via PM now you've got hold of each other. This thread seems to have served it's purpose and I don't feel that dragging the whole thing out on the forum and getting everyone involved is helpful. I have to start work and don't want to close the thread without checking, so if you are both willing to sort it out between yourselves and you are happy for it to be closed please report my post and one of the mods will close it for you.

#55 Saoirse

Saoirse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:37 AM

I think this should really be sorted out between widerim and saoirse via PM now you've got hold of each other. This thread seems to have served it's purpose and I don't feel that dragging the whole thing out on the forum and getting everyone involved is helpful. I have to start work and don't want to close the thread without checking, so if you are both willing to sort it out between yourselves and you are happy for it to be closed please report my post and one of the mods will close it for you.

I am, and always was, happy to discuss via PM, and unfortunately this has rather escalated a bit. >_<

#56 Calman

Calman

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

wow.
do you honestly believe you will be able to tack weld and pull such a large gap closed? its just not possible without distorting the panels. As I said, those panels need serious metalwork to improve the fit before ever plugging in a welder.

Everyones techniques are different, and im sure some people dont like the way others do things, and if you have done this in the past with success, then fair enough, and I wish you luck, should the owner offer you the chance to finish the job.

However,
Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING excuses fitting the a-panels over the top of the rusty door post, and absolutely nothing excuses not replacing the scuttle first, or as a very bare minimum, repairing the rot underneath around the vent etc. Not having the panel to hand is no excuse, and I cant think of any way to repair that scuttle having already welded on the wings that doesnt involve crumpled up copies of The Sun and a tub of P38.
You say this is work-in-progress and the final result will look good - that may well prove to be so, but it will not last. The car will need more serious repairs in a very short space of time.

Im not a qualified body repairer and I dont have any paper qualifictions for my welding abilities, but I am a competant amateur who takes pride in what he does, and I would not do that to any car, whether my own or as a favour to someone, and have a clear conscience. This is shonky bodge work at its worst - a pretty veneer over true horrors underneath, passed off as quality work.

Did you not read his posts?

He said the scuttle hadnt turned up so instea of wasting a day we was tacking the wings and front valence. It was on th car so that he could get thefitiment right between the front pannels - Hence why the scuttle and flitch hasnt been sorted yet. The tack to the body ould have been to stop the front end moving around all the time.

Im 16 and you've just been owned >_<

#57 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:55 AM

Calman the only person you've owned is yourself

your comments are not constructive, and I'd like to see you panel beat a wing and front panel together to get a better fit when they are tacked to the car!

#58 Calman

Calman

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

Im not saying i can weld in any shape or form. I was pulling bits out of widerim's posts that dave was slating despite widerim telling him what and why he was doing it like he had >_<

#59 millermilla

millermilla

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Local Club: BMC Brighton Mini Club

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

Im not saying i can weld in any shape or form.

So why comment? Your post is not constructive as already stated and its also quite childish to say someone is "Owned"

#60 Calman

Calman

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

I was trying to stick up for the guy! He's explained the situation on page 1.

No ones let the guy breathe and the same comments have been said over and over..

"Its crap quality get the cowboy away from it and make him replace the pannels"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users