41 replies to this topic

#1 jaystar89

jaystar89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

I think i am going to go with cellulose ultramarine blue (RAL5002)

The ratio is 1 part paint, 1 part thinner. Apparently this paint does not require a lacquer it is a direct gloss paint.

My two questions;

is this statement true about not needing lacquer as that will save me a fair amount of cash and time.

How much paint will I need (as i will need to match the amount with thinner)

thanks

#2 rob#155

rob#155

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

No Lacuqer is needed with cellulose paints, just a good colour sanding and polish.
to paint a mini i generally get 2.5 litres of celly paint and 5 litres of topcoat thinners, standard thinners wont give the deep shine. mix the paint1:1 (the extra thinners are needed to clean out the gun)
If i plan to keep the car i will pay a little extra and get 5 litres of paint for future use if needed!
Here is a picture of my mini's bonnet after a quick coulor sanding and polish:

http://i196.photobuc...pg?t=1257844603

Edited by rob#155, 10 November 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#3 Pauly

Pauly

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Local Club: Just 4 Fun Minis!

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

No Lacuqer is needed with cellulose paints, just a good colour sanding and polish.
to paint a mini i generally get 2.5 litres of celly paint and 5 litres of topcoat thinners, standard thinners wont give the deep shine. mix the paint1:1 (the extra thinners are needed to clean out the gun)
If i plan to keep the car i will pay a little extra and get 5 litres of paint for future use if needed!
Here is a picture of my mini's bonnet after a quick coulor sanding and polish:

http://i196.photobuc...pg?t=1257844603

Wow, nice finish. Celly or 2k? Also what did you use to polish? Rotary polisher or hand?

Paul.

#4 jaystar89

jaystar89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:24 AM

that is a really nice finish! when you say you mean sanded, do you mean u sanded down the paint after spraying it?

I realize this is a bit of a stupid question but I've never used this process

#5 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

[quote name='rob#155' date='Nov 10 2009, 09:17 AM' post='1638792']
a bit of misinformation here, cellulose paint will need laquer if its a base coat, also most mettalics will need laquer.

#6 rob#155

rob#155

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

Yea, sorry, a celly basecoat will need lauqer, I assumed he was refering to a flat colour, as most metalics look better in 2k (in my opinion) I know, I know you shoulsd NEVER assume ANYTHING!
Anyhow, Colour sanding is the process of sanding down using fine 2000 grade wet and dry keeping it constantly wet and then polishing with cutting compound, that is how i acheived the finish in the photo, this was using cellulose paint, (with no lauqer!!!)
If you want further info or guidance try typing colour sanding into you tube you will get plenty of hits.
Hope this helps!

#7 Pauly

Pauly

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Local Club: Just 4 Fun Minis!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

Did you polish by hand or a machine polisher??

Also what mixture of paint did you use?

#8 mars red mike

mars red mike

• Members
  • 1,500 posts
  • Local Club: Bodge Speed Racing

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

When I painted my brothers I used about 4 litres of paint altogether. It was then flatted with 2000 grit and compounded with Menz Power Gloss on a rotary polisher. This was then refined further with a finishing pad on the rotary using a mix of Menz Intensive polish and Final Finish. The pic below is after I had finished the back end

Posted Image

#9 rob#155

rob#155

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

Did you polish by hand or a machine polisher??

Also what mixture of paint did you use?

sorry mate, didn't answer you did I!
The bonnet was done with a rotary polisher, but the rear was done by hand, same results just a lot harder work!
Paint was mixed 1:1

As stated by Mars red Mike, 2000 grit wet and dry, some form of cutting compound and then a going over with a coulor restorer (T cut or the like)
Mind you, you should give the paint a couple of weeks to fully harden prior to doing this.

by the way: nice finish mars red mike :D

#10 Big Guns

Big Guns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Local Club: NORTHANTS M.O.C

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

Awesome finishes you guys acieved!! How experienced are you both?I've only sprayed once.....20+ years ago! I'm planning on doing my Clubby estate electric blue, then adding a lighter blue holographic metal flake in the lacquer. Finally seal it with 4-5 coats of just lacquer then polish it. Will flatting and cutting the final lacquer be a problem?
Cheers.....Dave

#11 mars red mike

mars red mike

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

To be honest that was the first full respray that I have ever done. I have done plenty of spraying with rattle cans but painting with a gun is a bit different. I used to have a mate that was a painter by trade and I had watched him painting loads of times. I made mental notes on key things and before I actually painted the Mini I read up on techniques and the do's and don'ts. I find it very rewarding to paint your own car.

#12 rob#155

rob#155

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

that is only my second attempt of a full car, i've done loads of motorbikes before, mind you i am quite pleased considering it was done in a carport with the ends blocked off with polythene, not too bad i didn't think?

As mars red mike says it's VERY rewarding :D

#13 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

How many coats of paint are you guys laying down? very impressive results by both of you :D

#14 mars red mike

mars red mike

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

Coats? God only knows mate. Lots and LOTS!! Lol. I spent from 7am till about 5.30pm one saturday just laying down coat after coat. The car is probably about half inch bigger all over now the amount of paint that must be on it. :D

#15 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

Coats? God only knows mate. Lots and LOTS!! Lol. I spent from 7am till about 5.30pm one saturday just laying down coat after coat. The car is probably about half inch bigger all over now the amount of paint that must be on it. :thumbsup:

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users