41 replies to this topic

#16 jaystar89

jaystar89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

Coats? God only knows mate. Lots and LOTS!! Lol. I spent from 7am till about 5.30pm one saturday just laying down coat after coat. The car is probably about half inch bigger all over now the amount of paint that must be on it. :D

:L how much paint did you go through?? what type cellulose or 2k?

#17 mars red mike

mars red mike

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • Local Club: Bodge Speed Racing

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

4 and a bit litres of cellulose. Might have been a bit more thinking about it.

#18 jaystar89

jaystar89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

4 and a bit litres of cellulose. Might have been a bit more thinking about it.

That is a lot more tha i had originally expected.

Im seriously thinking about asking my parents for the 3 liter Pearl spray paint kit for Xmas;

* 2.5 litres of Base coat (Any Colour)
* 3 litres of Pearl (Any Colour)
* 5 Litres of D-Thinner
* 4.5 litre Lacquer Kit

£210

good value?

#19 mars red mike

mars red mike

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • Local Club: Bodge Speed Racing

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

Doesnt sound too bad, as long as you have the skills to apply it. Remember that preparation is key to getting a good finish.

#20 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

what primer you working with to get a good start point prior to colour?

#21 jaystar89

jaystar89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

is this question aimed at me?

Ill be applying black primer, before I apply the black undercoat, then just a fine layer of pearl purple as I want the colour to be dominantly black but with a purple hint. 1 to 2 layers of purple.

#22 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

Ill be applying black primer, before I apply the black undercoat, then just a fine layer of pearl purple as I want the colour to be dominantly black but with a purple hint. 1 to 2 layers of purple.

yep - thanks :D

#23 rob#155

rob#155

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:31 AM

How many coats of paint are you guys laying down? very impressive results by both of you ;)

thanks for the comments on the finish.

I used high build primer, then 4 coats of topcaot wet and drying in between, I used just over 2.5 litres and that includes the inside and under the bonnet.

#24 jaystar89

jaystar89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

yep - thanks ;)

for a little more detail,

- ill be keying down the origional paint using a Brillo pad - Scotch gray (its really fine and wont scratch into the paint)
- i will then be using a tack rag to get rid of any dust etc because its almost a sticky cloth - works great
- at this stage ill put down some coats of black primer but im not really sure if this is necessary due to spraying onto old paint. Never the less, it makes for a good guild line.
- i will then be laying down the black base coat what will dominantly be the color of the car - I have chosen base coat over 2k & cellulose because the paint, though it is toxic, is not as dangerous as 2k & it doesn't need such warm garage temperatures when using it, unlike cellulose.
- Next is the harder part of laying down a light coat of Purple Pearl (or any Pearl color) - I will be working in thin layers and building up a purple tint over the black.
- Last but no where near least, i will be putting a lot of 2k lacquer down & though this is toxic as hell, it is the final stage & once the car has enough coats, i can get the hell out for a few days untill its properly hardened.
- I nearly forgot, wax & polish :)... Could do with some advice on the process of this area as i want a really nice, deep shine.

Now I've heard I need to flatten the paint or something along those lines but i am a little confused as to what this means. Are their any other steps i need to take, or any areas - e.g. the inside of the car - that are a pain to spray or i may have trouble with and should take extra car with.

Edited by jaystar89, 12 November 2009 - 09:45 AM.

#25 Big Guns

Big Guns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Local Club: NORTHANTS M.O.C

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hey Rob, if you're feeling bored and at a loose end one day, say, in about 2 weeks time, you can always drive over the border into Northants and spray my Clubby. lol...Only if you're bored you understand! lol

#26 jaystar89

jaystar89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hey Rob, if you're feeling bored and at a loose end one day, say, in about 2 weeks time, you can always drive over the border into Northants and spray my Clubby. lol...Only if you're bored you understand! lol

lol i know that wasn't aimed at myself but if you could get to dundee (mid scot) your more than welcome to use my spray gun etc.

#27 Big Guns

Big Guns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

One more "Q" guys. Is it a problem to flat back the FINAL lacquer coat??

#28 Big Guns

Big Guns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

lol i know that wasn't aimed at myself but if you could get to dundee (mid scot) your more than welcome to use my spray gun etc.

Hi Jay. I used to work in Dundee MANY years ago. A company called Hamilton Carharrt....just opposite the DENS!

#29 jaystar89

jaystar89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

One more "Q" guys. Is it a problem to flat back the FINAL lacquer coat??

See im having difficulty understand what flattening is & at what stage i have to do it

ahh dens road ;) stobbi ftl :)

Edited by jaystar89, 12 November 2009 - 09:56 AM.

#30 Big Guns

Big Guns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

Hi Jay. Flattening is when you have applied the final coat you then wet'n'dry it to a dull finish(this gets it ALL level). You then cut it with a finishing compound like T Cut. Finally you polish and buff to get the shine back.
Hope that helps.....Cheers, Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users