25 replies to this topic

#1 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

I had a fish around for inspiration, and i've finally decided what i'm going to do. Only probably is, i'm pretty noobish when it comes to mechanical or practical work :thumbsup: , so i may need some advice along the way.

The plan is to make a box, fibreglass it and spray it blue, and my 200W amp will sit on top. I'm also planning on hinging the board on which the amp sits, and so I can swing the box open to reveal extra storage space, or whatever i plan on putting in there. The amp wires are long enough, so the box should be able to open up completely without getting snagged.

Here's the "boot box" i've made today:

Posted Image

With the amp (sorry for the slightly blurry image)

Posted Image

and my hinge idea.

Posted Image

Just a few questions before i do something irreversable. Would it be stupid to spray paint an amp? Mine, as you can see, is purple at the moment, which really won't match. And i am right in saying MDF can be fibreglassed over? Never done fibreglassing before :-

Progress will be slow, mind, because at the moment everything has to be done outdoors :)

Does anyone have any suggestions about what should go either side of the amp? I'm going to buy small blue neons to fit somewhere inconspicuous to smarten the whole thing up, but i'm really stuck on decided what else to put on the box.

Edited by skaterava, 10 December 2009 - 04:08 PM.

#2 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

Why did you buy a purple one then mate!?! Doh! :thumbsup:
They sprayed it in the factory, so in theory you can spray it again.
BUT! You'll want make sure that no paint goes into any holes, connectors and so on.
You'll also invalidate your warranty!

#3 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

Why did you buy a purple one then mate!?! Doh! :)

It was £7! Along with a pair of JBL 6x9's! There's no way i could have refused a deal like that :o

#4 wassupcrew

wassupcrew

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

mdf can be fibreglassed over, not a problem, but that isn't mdf you're using, its plywood

#5 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

BUT! You'll want make sure that no paint goes into any holes, connectors and so on.

That amp is anodized, not painted.

#6 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

mdf can be fibreglassed over, not a problem, but that isn't mdf you're using, its plywood

Oops, sorry, like i said not very good with the practical things. I did cut another piece out which i think is MDF, but this one was thicker so i thought i'd use it. Another thing on my to do list then :)

So i can't paint over it? :o

#7 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

I painted my JL amp with no problems. (check my project if you want to see the final result) Just remove the bottom cover and the end plates if they come off. Masking tape everything to cover it, lightly sand the heatsink with 400, clean it and spray with primer then colour. I gave mine 2 colour coats and 2 laquer coats about 20mins apart. turned out damn well!

Does anyone have any suggestions about what should go either side of the amp? I'm going to buy small blue neons to fit somewhere inconspicuous to smarten the whole thing up, but i'm really stuck on decided what else to put on the box.

You could make a cover for the amp with a perspex window in it and have the neons under that either side of the amp to light it up. They could come on with the boot being opened off a switch like for your doors.
Or make up fiberglass end covers for the wiring and have the neons hiden under the parcel tray to light the whole thing up.

Anything goes really, it depends what you can dream up. :)

Edit: Forgot to say, if you aren't worried about the amps writing (assuming your painting it so don't care) I would make sure you remove it (if it's stick on) of sand it backso it doesn't show.

Edited by Brams96, 10 December 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#8 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

It was £7! Along with a pair of JBL 6x9's! There's no way i could have refused a deal like that :o

Blimey! Fair play.

#9 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

Can it Christopher, smart arse. :o
(When are you coming round again??)

#10 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

I gave mine 2 colour coats and 2 laquer coats about 20mins apart. turned out damn well!

Right, will have to learn how to laquer :)

You could make a cover for the amp with a perspex window in it and have the neons under that either side of the amp to light it up. They could come on with the boot being opened off a switch like for your doors.

I did consider this, but then my idea of having storage space in the back would have to go.

If i had two identical amps, this would work, but at the moment i'm struggling to come up with ideas.

EDIT: Just had an idea! A bit difficult to explain, so here's a crudely drawn picture:

Posted Image

This idea would probably mean no Fibreglassing would be neccesary! Well, i may do a little just to smarten it up.

One thing. As you can see there's little Mini logos on the perspex. What's the process called when you kinda draw patterns, writing etc on perspex and how can i get it done?

Edited by skaterava, 10 December 2009 - 09:49 PM.

#11 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

That's a good idea but I can see a couple of problems your going to run into. (not trying to shoot you down, just help)
First, if you have perspex either side of the amp (I'm assuming they hinge up for the storage underneath?) then you will be able to see what ever is inside the box. How would you mount the neons to the prespex? Do you want bright neons on show or hidden? (hidden looks more professional)

Second, f you have a board behind the perspex it will have to be a very smooth paint job or some other flat covering/material. Will the extra height the perspex needs to be away from the board to get the neons in be a problem?

Will hinging it at the top give you enough clearance to actually open the lid or get anything inside the box? Especially with the extra height of the amp hitting the bottom of the parcel shelf/boot edge. Would hinging it at the bottom (opening like the boot itself) be better?

How about having the perspex over the amp (neons underneath) with boards over the side parts that open up? You could then inlay mini logos on the boards parts.

Just my opinions, hope I didn't offend. :)

#12 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:05 AM

That's a good idea but I can see a couple of problems your going to run into. (not trying to shoot you down, just help)
First, if you have perspex either side of the amp (I'm assuming they hinge up for the storage underneath?) then you will be able to see what ever is inside the box. How would you mount the neons to the prespex? Do you want bright neons on show or hidden? (hidden looks more professional)

Second, f you have a board behind the perspex it will have to be a very smooth paint job or some other flat covering/material. Will the extra height the perspex needs to be away from the board to get the neons in be a problem?

Will hinging it at the top give you enough clearance to actually open the lid or get anything inside the box? Especially with the extra height of the amp hitting the bottom of the parcel shelf/boot edge. Would hinging it at the bottom (opening like the boot itself) be better?

How about having the perspex over the amp (neons underneath) with boards over the side parts that open up? You could then inlay mini logos on the boards parts.

Just my opinions, hope I didn't offend. :o

Nah, you didn't offend, but i can clear up a few of the problems you've noticed.

I don't really mind having things behind the perspex on show, to be honest if i'm going to show the install off, i'm simply going to remove that stuff and stick it in the cabin :) I'll fix a narrow, long strip of MDF to the roof of the box, to conceal where the neons are, and only allow their glow to come through by reflecting off the box floor.

No boards will be going behind the perspex, i may smarten up the back of the bulkhead a bit but that's all :- . I quite fancy some frosted perspex now that i think about it.

You make a good point about the hinging, i'll have to check, er, today, to find out if i'll be able to open it. But the problem with hinging it from the bottom is that unless i fit a strap or something to it, every time i accelerate they will swing open. Also, i'm not planning to make the bit of wood where the amp sits hinge, just the perspex bits, so no problems with the amp hitting the roof.

#13 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:14 PM

Right, finally got a chance to get outside and get some work done on the install :genius: Not painting the amp just yet though. I'm still a bit confused about lacquering, am i right in saying i need to sand the amp down a bit, clean it, paint it and then spray lacquer over? Never lacquered before and finding info on how to do it is quite difficult :lol:

#14 maryquant

maryquant

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Local Club: minidesigner.co.uk

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

Not sure if it was mentioned, but i think the effect your looking for on the perspex with the mini logos is referred to as etching. Getting perspex sheets custom etched might be a little pricey, the cheaper alternative is to have the logos cut out of a transparent etch vinyl and then stick them on. I dont have any in stock, but Roofless on here might be able to hook you up.

#15 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

• Traders
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

Nothing to add dont know much about laquer myself just wanted to say its good to see someone having a good go at building something for there mini make sure you take plenty of pictures and post them

Subscribed :lol:

EDIT:Spelling

Edited by MiniBonkerz, 14 December 2009 - 01:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users