#1 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

Hi Guys,

Just occurred to me the other day that my mpg is pretty low. Managed 51 miles from half a tank, pretty much a combined cycle of A road and around town (driving into London and back again) with almost no sitting in traffic. Does this seem about right?

The cars a Works Si with only the Air filter swapped out to a K&N replacement. Other than that the car is factory standard (as much as it can be).

Cheers,
Watso

#2 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

Dont sound right half a tank on mine until it reaches empty not the red mark i would expect to get at least 150 miles if not more and thats not hanging about either

#3 sambarnes

sambarnes

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

the most i have ever done is about 130 miles, and that was taking it real steady down to cornwall. With my guage, it is completly empty as soon as it hits the red line, is that good??

#4 Mk1Jim

Mk1Jim

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

That is poor mpg

used to get over 250 miles on a tank in my mpi ( 63bhp with k&n and rc40 )

HOWEVER the first half of my tank shown on the gauge was only 70 odd miles the second have lasted the other 180 miles. And this was exactly the same as my mates mpi too. First half seems to go quickly.

#5 sambarnes

sambarnes

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

Yeah ive noticed the first half goes quick aswell. My first half seems to go within like 50 miles. hmmm

Is there any relationship between thermostat not working and feul consumption. As my thermostat is messed up.

#6 jameslb101

jameslb101

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Local Club: Northavon Mini Drivers

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

What!!! I think my fuel gauge may be faulty because I'm averaging 28 MPG around town but it's only doing 100 miles before it shows empty (and then I give about £17 fill up to full). Does this sound right??

EDIT: by the way my car is completely standard (non-cooper)

Edited by jameslb101, 17 December 2009 - 10:17 AM.

#7 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

Hmmmm, sounds as though I may have an issue but im not so sure now....

Mini Fueling - worse than neuroscience sometimes! :(

What!!! I think my fuel gauge may be faulty because I'm averaging 28 MPG around town but it's only doing 100 miles before it shows empty (and then I give about £17 fill up to full). Does this sound right??

James, sounds as though you suffer the same a me, but on a standard car it sounds even weirder.

#8 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

Don't trust the guages. They're notoriously poopy.

I get about 270 miles from about 23 litres of fuel on a standard cooper.

I fill her up after about 30-50 miles when the needle has dropped way below the red line. I then fill her up completely which can be anything from 22 to 24 litres.

After about 50 miles from brimmed, the needle drops quickly to 3/4 full, then it's a slow decline towards the red zone.

#9 Mk1Jim

Mk1Jim

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

Juju's quoted firgures seem about bang on.

Remember you have 34 litre fuel tanks too, so 90 % of the time empty really isnt empty.

As for the thermostat issue, yes it will effect it, especially if the ECU thinks the car is cold and whacks more fuel in because of it.

Even the wrong stat, in an injection mini can cause bad running problems, so i'd definately get that sorted.

My Mpi was doing will over 250 miles on a tank, at around 40 mpg

Actual range at that mpg is 300 miles :( 40MPG x 7.50Gallons =300 miles

#10 jameslb101

jameslb101

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Local Club: Northavon Mini Drivers

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

Yeah for me I just worked when my gauge says the tank is empty it actually has half a tank left!

On a side note does 28 mpg sound like a reasonable figure for 90% stop-start town driving (only been driving a month) in a MPI?

#11 sambarnes

sambarnes

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:04 PM

Yeah for me I just worked when my gauge says the tank is empty it actually has half a tank left!

On my guage its completly empty when the needle covers the red line. I know this as i ran out of fuel thinking i could go down to empty haha.

#12 Mk1Jim

Mk1Jim

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:45 PM

On a side note does 28 mpg sound like a reasonable figure for 90% stop-start town driving (only been driving a month) in a MPI?

I'd expect around 33 - 35 for town driving especially on a standard MPI

#13 miniman retford

miniman retford

Most Definitely Not Beer Powered....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • Local Club: Lincs ford group

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

On my mpi the guage drops from full to half way quit quickly then gradualy down to the red.

It has a k&n induction kit & maniflow exhaust with the cat removed.

I checked the mpg earlier in the year when on the Silver Ring Rally to the nurburgring so including motorway, country roads & going round the ring we did 1,270 miles & used 23.88 gallons i logged every fill up & got an average of 53.18 mpg :withstupid:

Edited by miniman retford, 17 December 2009 - 02:51 PM.

#14 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

I have a Mpi with a stage 3 head, sw5i cam and k&n and the 48 mm alloy throttle body

I get really bad MPg driving around town. However I get bettter results on the motorways

I think I average around 180 on a full tank. 24 litres mine is.

Mike

#15 mick black

mick black

On The Road

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Local Club: northwest mini club

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

I have a Mpi with a stage 3 head, sw5i cam and k&n and the 48 mm alloy throttle body

I get really bad MPg driving around town. However I get bettter results on the motorways

I think I average around 180 on a full tank. 24 litres mine is.

Mike

what size tank do you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users