41 replies to this topic

#1 andyjack69

andyjack69

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

Well what can I say?...just before xmas a litle car caught our eye on ebay.
But, X factor took priority and we didnt win the bid. :)
A couple of days later it appears again.... my mouse finger twitched...... job done!!

So let me introduce you to Andy. 1969. Has MOT and is a great runner with a few modifications done.
I will add, I know little about minis although have always wanted one and started a project a few years ago but never got around to finishing , Andy was actually intended as a first car for my 16 year old lad, however we shall see as I am enjoying it rather too much!!

Whilst we like the paint job, and the engine is sweet, we dont really rate the interior and are undecided what to do for the best, ie restore to its original or have some fun and really go to town bringing it upto date!
What would you do?

Attached Files

#2 Trail of Dead

Trail of Dead

taught his mini only to kill those who deserve it....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

Great Mini! Was it listed as a 1969 though??? I thought Mk1/Mk2 Minis has external hinges? Anyhow, nice Mini and welcome to TMF!

#3 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

Looks nice, I like the paint job..something different :)

I hate to break it to you though, did you say its a 1969? It cant be right as a 1969 would be a Mk2 which has exterior hinges and sliding windows in the doors. I'm not sure if it is a very early Mk3 because of the later spec lights etc

#4 andyjack69

andyjack69

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for the welcome!
Log book deffo says 1969....I think someone has had a bit of fun modding as I think it should have one central clock for the year?....and it hasnt.
Mind you, looking at all these lovely minis on here there doesnt seem to be any hard and fast rules?....or are there?

#5 lindy119

lindy119

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Local Club: looking for one!!

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

Go to town!!!
I would give a subtle exterior though, maybe go back to Mk1/2 and put some old school touches on it, like a Mk1 Grille with moustache, exterior hinges, boot reversing lamp, then just plain red with no arches just chrome strip trim, then add some 10" minilites......

for the engine however!!! :) :D :D Wack a VTec in it!! It'll be a wolf in sheeps clothing!!

#6 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Well the shell doesnt look like a 1969 to me. As you have pointed out no centre clock, later spec rear lights with the reverse light, no exterior hinges or sliding windows, servo in the engine bay which was on later minis etc

I'm sorry, I dont mean to come across as rude or making you feel bad but I think its best you know. Unforunately what happens is people take the registration of an older car to put on their later one so they dont have to pay tax as vehicles built/registered before 1972 go under historic status meaning no tax has to be paid. It really makes me feel bad as I know there are people out there looking for a mini especially on ebay believing they are buying an older mini when infact they're buying a later mini with a older registration put on it.

Theres nothing wrong with modding your car and bringing it to your taste. After all it is your car.

#7 andyjack69

andyjack69

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

Not a problem Grease monkey, It happens Im well aware of that.
I didnt come on here to show you this car and cause a riot lol...just thought Id get some ideas/facts, and indeed I have!
Good honest place to be I would say.

I do fancy putting a bit of the 60's back on it though and am all open to ideas, I havent a clue where to purchase the likes of a mk 1 grill or door hinges as oper previous suggestions.
Im just happy it is solid and safe.

#8 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Oh i've seen that before, i was flicking through ebay and saw it caught my eye straight away, really unique paint job. Well Done :)

Danny.

#9 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

Not a problem Andy, glad to be of help. Welcome to the forum as well, sorry I didnt really do that properly. You've come to the right place, theres loads of help here on this forum.

As long as your happy, then its all good :D From the picture of the front corner, it looks like theres a mk1 grille on there already. You're in a minefield now as there is so much you can do, so much choice. You can change the interior, add some retro looking buckets, find later leather interiors or maybe try and find a retro looking vinyl interior etc

Loads you can do to the outside as well, you could convert the brakes to 7.5" so you can fit 10" wheels, different arches, different mirrors

I hope you have very deep pockets hehe

Hopefully see you at some shows next year, they're great as you can meet new people, see other minis, go through autojumbles. With an eye catching paint job like that you will probably see people taking photos as well :D

You've got the mini bug now :)

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 29 December 2009 - 01:57 PM.

#10 andyjack69

andyjack69

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

Thanks...and yes, a few show outings will be inevitable, maybe meet some of you!!
This is a front/back end shot for you...
and a rather grim interior...well my butt says so!!

Attached Files

#11 lindy119

lindy119

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Local Club: looking for one!!

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

well its definitely a patriots car!! :) whats the spec under the bonnet?

#12 andyjack69

andyjack69

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:09 PM

Lol...lindy its not the wolf you would like, its a little 998cc.
Makes plenty of noise though have to say!!

#13 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

Nice looking car! And, just to let you know, you already have a Mk1 grille and moustache :) Happy days!

#14 andyjack69

andyjack69

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:24 PM

Happy days indeed !! :)

#15 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members