69 replies to this topic

#16 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:14 PM

The carb jet needle is not the correct profile for the engine. As the engine is now breathing through a high efficiency filter and intake manifold and exhausting through a more efficient exhaust manifold and silencer the original needle will be no use, even the needle supplied with the kit will not be spot on( as many have found out on here).It would appeare as if the carb is leaning out the fuel mixture a little( proved by you using the choke slightly and it running better). It is more noticeble now as the ambient air temperature is now a lot cooler and hence, denser, containing more oxygen, further leaning out the fuel mixture.

You realy need to check that the needle is some where near, I think the stage one kit is an 'AAA' needle. If it still has the original needle in the carb, then order up an AAA before you go to the rolling road session.( I ordered one from minisport and it took weeks, but that was years ago, phone them up and see if they got any and will have on the day) That way when its on the rollers the operator has a much better chance of getting it fueled right :lol: If its the same bloke from a few years back, then he does a top job :wub:

To find out which needle you have, remove the three screws from the base of the dashpot and carefully lift the whole thing off remembering that the needle protrudes from the bottom and is easily bent. The needle is fixed into the piston by a flat head screw, which locks the retaining coller at the base of the needle. Loosen this screw just a couple of turns(theres no need to remove it) and withdraw the needle, spring and coller. DO NOT LOOSE THE SPRING. The needle spec is written on the part of the needle normaly hidden by the retaining collar, usualy three letters but on rare instances two. Re assemble making sure the retaining collar is flush with the piston. Five miniut job :cheese:

Now if there is still an aluminium identification tag on the carb, usualy fixed by one of the dashpot screws you removed earlier, you can use this number on here http://www.burlen.co.uk to find out what needle was fitted to the carb at the factory when it was used in production and what car it was used on, listing all the parts as spares or a complete new item.

This may also help select the correct needle http://www.winsu.co.uk/

Other than this there is an air leak ;)

Wow! You seem to know what you're talking about, and further back up my suspicions, that the needle isnt correct and therefore the mixture isnt correct causing flat spots, or juddering whilst under acceleration.

Does that sound about right?

Its too dark now, but tomorrow i'll do as you just explained, and find out what needle is in it - Just to check, the needle can only be seated in one position cant it, meaning i cant mess up settings by removing and putting it back together? (sorry, i know bikes, but not cars yet :doh:)

If i have to order up a different needle, how much is that likely to cost me? just a few pounds?

Cheers, your help is much appreciated.

Adam

#17 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:17 PM

think they are about 8 quid

#18 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:32 PM

Sounds fair, will have a look tomorrow.

#19 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

Just to check, the needle can only be seated in one position cant it, meaning i cant mess up settings by removing and putting it back together? (sorry, i know bikes, but not cars yet :doh:)

If i have to order up a different needle, how much is that likely to cost me? just a few pounds?

Adam

Just make sure the collar is flush with the piston.

The needles are less than a tenner, but don't be shocked when you get a new needle only for the RR operator to take a file to it to get it fueling right. Its got to be somewhere near then its fine tuned with a file :lol: LOL and it works a treat. You'll never get the perfect needle to do the job, there are thousands of them :saywhat:

#20 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:37 PM

i am just getting some twin carbs instead now.LOL

#21 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

Just to check, the needle can only be seated in one position cant it, meaning i cant mess up settings by removing and putting it back together? (sorry, i know bikes, but not cars yet :doh:)

Adam

Just make sure the collar is flush with the piston.

The needles are less than a tenner, but don't be shocked when you get a new needle only for the RR operator to take a file to it to get it fueling right. Its got to be somewhere near then its fine tuned with a file :lol: LOL and it works a treat. You'll never get the perfect needle to do the job, there are thousands of them :saywhat:

I completely understand the filing.. used to do it myself with the motocross bikes :wub:

#22 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

haha!

Just to make it easier to set up yeah? :tongue: :lol:

#23 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:44 PM

yeah NOT!!

#24 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:51 PM

:lol:

#25 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:56 PM

Twice as complicated and not as many needles too choose from depending on the spec :nugget:

#26 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:39 PM

Just been to halfrauds and bought a colortune kit, tested my mini, and confirmed that its running rich..

Now the problem is, i dont know how to solve that!

Any advice please?

Im going to grab some food now, then take the carb apart to inspect it and find out what needle i have.

Adam

#27 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:45 PM

http://www.minimania...IF_type_763.htm

:lol: Hope that helps.

#28 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

http://www.minimania...IF_type_763.htm

:lol: Hope that helps.

That looks nothing like mine :nugget:

That i can see, there is one screw on the top right hand side of the carb, then another just underneath, screwing upwards and spring mounted, the choke and throttle arms.

I didnt want to turn the bottom one, because it was hard to get to, and i have no idea what it is... could this be the one i need to fettle with?

Ads

#29 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:13 PM

.... take a photo of your carb then.. it maybe a hs4 not a hif

#30 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

If its the hs4 then the big nut is the mixture thing.

http://www.mgbexperi...ice/su-tune.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users