#331 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

I'm not sure we'll see many more minis coming in from Japan, isn't there some rule about 10 year old cars there, something to do with restricted use, and now that the last minis were made > 10 years ago, I believe what's already come out of the country is all we will see, those remaining are likely to be in the possession of enthusiasts.

#332 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

If you MODIFY the monocoque then you are subject to IVA. It's not a money making scheme or a way to get old vehicles off the road - it is a test to ensure that your modifications are safe.

As far as I understand it though this is not wholly correct, beacuse in the case of monocoque modifications they are not tested at IVA time. This is where the whole system falls down.

If you cut the roof off your otherwise standard MK1 Mini to make a convertible it would, by DVLA rules require an IVA as it is "no longer the same vehicle".

The IVA test would then fail it on brakes, steering column, external radius etc.., but the integrity of the body structure modifications would not be tested.
You would fail the test NOT for what you had modified, but for what you have not changed and is the same as all other MK1 Minis running round the country perfectly legally.

I am fully in support of a test for modified vehicles, but they should not be treated the same as new builds, and be limited to testing the modifications not the whole car. Unfortunately I dont see the system changing for the better.

#333 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

isn't bringing this info to the mini community a good thing ?

Not when it go's on and on and on and ........................
Not sure why you have to continually ramp on about IVA you must have made hundreds of posts about it stating the same old thing, one post is enough and if people ignore what your saying that's there choice, continually ramming your IVA interpretation's down peoples throats gets the community no where.

#334 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

so what you saying is if we find a new member modifying their mini in a way that will result in it loosing it's identity we shouldn't say anything

and if at a later date they come back to the forum saying the failed a road side check we should just laugh and say they should of searched the forum for something they didn't know about

it's not really being a helpful mini community

#335 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

isn't bringing this info to the mini community a good thing ?

Not when it go's on and on and on and ........................
Not sure why you have to continually ramp on about IVA you must have made hundreds of posts about it stating the same old thing, one post is enough and if people ignore what your saying that's there choice, continually ramming your IVA interpretation's down peoples throats gets the community no where.

In way I agree with this.

Just a good strong set of info posts only would be more beneficial to TMF members.

Contact details for relevent authorities and ACE for people who still need to know more.

These threads whilst started with great advice often end up with the same old miss informed arguements by confused mini owners.

As for the jap minis I know there are restrictions over there for 10year old plus cars and harsher mot tests etc but I think that is why they are readily available in japanese auctions houses.
The real mini copmay is a business set up that imports these 10 year old plus cars and also a local company to me imported a mini 30 for me a couple of years back. (red one with air-con)

There is a guy who posts as skolawn (or something similar) and he also imports jap minis. Its on the rise as there are more late model minis in japan then there is in the uk. (and they are usually in better condition)

But I dont want to jam up this thread with info on importing minis as I think its not relevant to the thread title.

#336 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

so what you saying is if we find a new member modifying their mini in a way that will result in it loosing it's identity we shouldn't say anything

and if at a later date they come back to the forum saying the failed a road side check we should just laugh and say they should of searched the forum for something they didn't know about

Good arguement.

Hard call to make....

#337 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Why is everyone so hung up on IVA tests?

If everyone followed the rules to the letter, half of the cars on this site would need an IVA test.

As long as the car is safe no one gives a monkeys.

#338 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

Thing is the interpretation of IVA is still developing so some discussion would be useful. I do see going over the same ground time and again creates clutter that could obscure when someone has something new to share (like personal experience of a test or DVLA dealings). Perhaps we should steer people towards the FAQ instead.

#339 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:10 AM

No thats clearly not what i said.

What is clear is its pointless pointing out that you are ramping up the IVA test when actually your interpretation is different to others and what a DVLA tester may interpret, If someone is modifying a car that may be in your interpretation be loosing its identity then you should point them in the direction of the correct authorities, this gives the owner an informed choice carry on and ignore it or seek proper advice.

Banging your drum over and over is not doing the community any good its plain and simple scaremongering.

#340 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

so you think this topic i started doesn't have enough links and technical info on it

if you know of any other sources of info or discussions on this topic post them up, the more info about this topic out there the more people can read up before they start a project .

#341 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

Thing is the interpretation of IVA is still developing so some discussion would be useful. I do see going over the same ground time and again creates clutter that could obscure when someone has something new to share (like personal experience of a test or DVLA dealings). Perhaps we should steer people towards the FAQ instead.

That's what we need, people to tell us about their iva tests!

#342 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

very good write up here http://www.theminifo...howtopic=137011

#343 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

so, if you welded in a bulkhead box and painted the bulkhead up all nicely, all they do is look at it, how can they tell the welds have penetrated properly? As the welds would probably have been dressed, then smoothed and painted over, you cant see if the welds penetrated properly....

Edited by samsfern, 29 January 2011 - 09:32 AM.

#344 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

you could say the same about the MOT test

#345 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

very good write up here http://www.theminifo...howtopic=137011

That is a really good write up, but a z cars conversion with the engine in the boot is a bit more than a flip front! Anyone had an iva for a flip front and what are their experiences?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users