356 replies to this topic

#316 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

who is ever going to be able to spot that it has the wrong floor pan???

My mini has had an IVA and pending a few changes it will be passing shortly. It does not have original fllorpans and they were changed for generic mini repair panels. This caused me no issue at all.

I doubt you will have any problems. Just dont make a panel from perspex lol (I have seen a mod like this to help fit a playstation into the floor of a mini)

#317 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

No - you've bought a new shell so after the VIC check all it needs is an MOT and you're away with the original identity (assuming you used all the points bearing parts from the original).

IVA only happens when you have MODIFIED the shell. So long as the new one is the same specification as the original it's a replacement part just like all the panels welded into the first one.

Edited by ibrooks, 26 January 2011 - 10:58 PM.

#318 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

But there's a difference between a repair and a modification! (i'm sure I read it somewhere)

There is, a repair is to return the car to the manufacturer's original specification. A modification changes that specification, and sets you on the road to an IVA because it will no longer be the same as the design the manufacturer spent thousands on having safety tested to gain type approval. They actually allow you some leeway - you don't have to repair to original spec, just to one approved by the manufacturer (e.g. if Rover listed Cooper S discs as NLA & superseded by 8.4's you can fit either.)

An IVA has nothing to do with with tax exemption, or deciding what's a modification. It's only a possible consequence of failing to satisfy the DVLA's rules and regulations.

#319 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

I don't want a cigar(smoking stunts your growth.......!!!)

What about my bleeding floorpan......(and roofless)

I think the answer to that is the floorpan & even a rod change box would be points free if you can show BL/Rover approved them as replacements (usually because the originals weren't available). I'd be very surprised if you got pulled.

The difference with Lannies is the chassis is the vehicle - if you swap it you aren't repairing the existing vehicle you're building up the "replacement" chassis with old parts. Also using a second hand chassis would be the same as using a second hand monocoque shell.

#320 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

I will no longer post in any threads relating to IVA BIVA or SVA as I am just bashing my head against a wall dealing with people who know little but shout loudly.

Its a dangerous thing having open discussion on this topic when people give bad advice.

TMF would be better to offer direct evidence and links to VOSA and DVLA pages only and probvide telephone numbers for people to contact them should they have any questions.

There are too many "experts" on here who offer bad advice.

My advice is contact DVLA or VOSA if yoyu have a question or ACE is good too.

This thread is pointless if read by someone looking for sound advice and could end up costing someone dearly.

The last 40 odd page thread was closed due to similar rubbish, lets put it to be before it causes more harm then good?

Just my point of view and final word

Got to admit I'm beginning to agree with this point of view. There are a lot of plain stupid and wrong examples being posted here where the answer becomes obvious to anyone with more than one brain cell who actually thinks about it. It simply isn't that complicated and by now it has to have been done to death.

If you MODIFY the monocoque then you are subject to IVA. It's not a money making scheme or a way to get old vehicles off the road - it is a test to ensure that your modifications are safe. Lets face it there are some truly scary modifications out there that meet the requirements of an MOT but any idiot except the builder can tell they are unsafe. The MOT simply isn't designed to cope with modifications of these sorts.

Rightly or wrongly there are some changes that you can make to a Mini (and any other car for that matter) which should make it subject to an SVA test but which in reality are very minor and make very little difference to the structure. Unfortunately that is the way of legislation - it CANNOT be written to take into account every possible permutation of every situation that it might cover. In some cases this means that it is open to interpretation by the people enforcing it (and largely in this case it is going to fall on the MOT testers). You need to bear in mind that the legislation is not written with our favourite car in mind but with every car that might be on the road so it unfortunately has to be general and vague in some areas.

The answer really is very simple for everyone here. If you don't want to have to put your pride and joy through IVA then don't modify the shell. If you do modify the shell then be prepared to put it through IVA and build it accordingly (this way even if it doesn't ultimately have to go through IVA it will at least be safe). Not exactly a difficult concept is it?

Iain

Edited by ibrooks, 27 January 2011 - 09:11 AM.

#321 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

there's you loop hole

modify your cars in the USA and bring them back to the UK

#322 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

there's you loop hole

modify your cars in the USA and bring them back to the UK

Sounds like a plan lol

#323 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

I did say that I would tidy this up tonight and that I will.

I do have to say though that my knowledge on this subject is a little limited and from what I've seen so far I have to agree with our resident IVA experts Garret and Bungle.

From what I can gather the 10 year rule only applies to imports, if getting around an IVA was that simple then there really wouldn't be a lot of point to it and it certainly wouldn't have had the effect that it has had on the modifed scene so far.

From a moderator point of view I would like to err on the side of caution with the advice we give on this subject and if it seems that we are being overly cautious about this issue, then so be it.

#324 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

i'm not a expert but i do read the info and try and make sense of it rather than just guess :thumbsup:

#325 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

i'm not a expert but i do read the info and try and make sense of it rather than just guess :X

Youve done a great job mate.

I dont pretend to know everything about everything but if I see something obviously wrong I would like to help and point them in the right direction.

The old SVA and the new IVA is just about common sense and not doing anything that radically alters your car or puts others safety at risk.

MOST poeple have nothing to fear and can carry on as normal but take a few mins for read up on it before you carry out any mods/changes to your car in the future and if you are unsure contact DVLA or VOSA directly. Belive it or not they can be fairly helpfull and you dont have to give your name or reg number :thumbsup:

#326 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

I am surprised people are still ramping on about IVA tests talk about bringing attention to the community! is as bad as the PC or health and safety brigade.

The only good thing about IVA imo is that it will stop any more episodes of chop shop being made.

#327 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

isn't bringing this info to the mini community a good thing ?

#328 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

I can't see the reasoning behind a 10 year concession to imports, if it includes any ramshackle heap of junk you like. I'd be surprised if it doesn't need to be properly licenced where it's coming from, with the equivalent of an MoT at least.

#329 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:25 AM

I can't see the reasoning behind a 10 year concession to imports, if it includes any ramshackle heap of junk you like. I'd be surprised if it doesn't need to be properly licenced where it's coming from, with the equivalent of an MoT at least.

An import over 10 years old still has to pass an MOT here before it can be registered.

#330 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

I'm a little perplexed over the import rules too. I guess they have a reason for this though?

Maybe one day we will be bringing more minis back from japan so why rock the boat? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users