vulpina

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hello ,
Iam Edgar from France 32 year old ,
Just seen a video on youtube a long time ago about a mini ripping the Nurburgring , it was the spark for me and i kept thinking of the mini power :D
Here is my mini after eight when i bought it and bring it back to home last year .
It was the first time i ever drove a mini !
IT was a good fun and i couldnt resist a last trip around the wood in this really funny car .
Before stripping it ,
Posted Image
Then Chris came home to personnaly deliver me the kit , what a great service , this happened last winter.
It will be a track car only ;no way to get it registred for road in our country ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The winter has gone and i did some welding and cutting and just today i was ready to fit the frame into the car for the first time ,it was really intense time ;)
Fresh picture from today !
Posted Image

Iam really happy with Zcars company and the help they cant provide to beginner like me :w00t:
Happy also because i managed to connect my DTA ems to the laptop , i have all the wiring done ,just waiting for the fuel pump before i can attempt to crank the engine .
Posted Image

Edited by vulpina, 06 March 2010 - 07:37 PM.

#2 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

Car is looking great. Love that colour you choose for the chassis. Best of luck with the build looks like you have all the hard work done. bet you can't wait to hear it fire up!

#3 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

What a beast.

Look forward to more progress.

#4 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

Very nice project I love your wheels and tyre choice, what size are they?

#5 vulpina

vulpina

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:26 AM

Hello ,
wheels are from Zcars minilight 9" at the rear( with 5mm spacer for clearance ) and 8" at the front ,tyre are from the formule renault 2.0liter i guess .
Crhis was kind enough to source me a used set of slick .

So much work to do still , all brake pipe ,fuel line ,pedalbox ,gear lever ,seat fixing ,radiator , and so on >_<

#6 vulpina

vulpina

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

Hello ,
Small update ,many picture :)
Slow progress , but steady hmm :)
Iam trial fitting everything to make the car run then strip it and paint and final assembly .
The gear stik need to be raised , will build something soon .
Kirkey seat are weird with the rib warping thing , but i 'll get used to it or find a better position.
At the moment iam doing the fuel line , water line ,and then pedal box mount,and some eletrical stuff ( wiring the wideband , the fuel pump relay and wire )

Training to weld aluminium:
Posted Image

Welding some baffle inside the fuel tank , i tough it would help , dont know if it will work at all :thumbsup:
I have welded a corner also to clear the front sway bar and give some room for the shock absorber , as in it original form it would be very tight and the tank was soft and might touch the sway bar easyli or rub on the spring .
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Seat ,pedal box trial and head scratching how to mount it , and co_worker :gimme:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Parts waiting for their turn and in need of even more parts :
Posted Image
Posted Image

I need your advice for the fuel pump positioning and if this setup sound safe , this is just the first idea i got nothing bolted /mounted yet .
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 JordanRaisbeck

JordanRaisbeck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Local Club: NEMC

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

great project, them wheels are really nice love it :)

#8 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

Fantastic! Love it. Is the After Eight a special French edition? I remember seeing one when I was in France a while ago, and wondering!

#9 vulpina

vulpina

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

Yes you are right its a special edition for France ; made from 1991 .
After eight is a brand of menthol fine chocolate .

Well the choice was mainly for it cheapness ,and that it could come to home by itself on the road ,the shell wasnt so bad rust wise too , i might keep the color BRG or another green like triumph or kawasaki :)

#10 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

Regarding your fuel pump positioning - I have all my fuel bits and bobs in the tunnel with the coolant pipes, it is a squeeze but it can be done, to be safe I am going to cover the tunnel/pipes with some aluminium sheet, running from behind the fuel tank to the rear of the tunnel. Will post pictures once done on my build thread.

#11 vulpina

vulpina

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

Great , i was thinking for a protection plate also , just for the first lenght , not the whole tunnel though .

The fuel return follow the same path as the main fuel line i guess ?
I made my main fuel line 8mm and the return will be 6 mm does it sound ok ?

I have a SARD fuel pressure regulator , will mount it inline with the fuel rail using a "T" adapter ,as my fuel rail is only open on one side .

#12 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

Fuel Return can follow the same path as the feed line, I did & I used 8mm for the return also as the fittings on the fuel tank is 8mm.

It gets busy at the start of the tunnel once you have the coolant lines and the fuel lines, also because of the cut out in the floor for the rollcage it makes the coolant lines the closest thing to the ground so protection is a really good idea - IMO.

#13 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hi vulpina,
are the anti-roll bars an option for both the RACE SPEC and the ROAD SPEC kits?

cheers

Edited by andream88, 19 April 2010 - 07:50 PM.

#14 vulpina

vulpina

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hi ,
I am not sure for the road spec kit , but you can check if you have the mount for them , on the front subframe it need two flat tab with 2 hole on each side of the subframe , for the rear its not at the same place between car engine and bike engine , all i know is for car engine the anti roll bar mounting place is on the very bottom of the frame on each side .

@cptkirk for the coolant line , my car is for the trackday so i might put them just over the cut for the floor bar ,going directly trough the firewall and then again back in the tunnel , a short lenght will be inside the car , i have seen such a thing on someone bike engine car here somewhere :thumbsup:

Iam also scared for them ripping on something ,especially on the "wobbler" (correct word ?) that is found inside the corner on a track.

Edited by vulpina, 19 April 2010 - 08:02 PM.

#15 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:58 AM

Brandon7 has the coolant line setup you are talking about, as it is a racer that is a good idea. Best of luck with the build.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users