116 replies to this topic

#61 mini_nutz

mini_nutz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

Video fixed - New video link click here!

Warren

#62 MJWarren

MJWarren

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

is there no way of cutting out the bonnet to make the original one fit? or is the engine that much taller?

cheers

#63 mini_nutz

mini_nutz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

is there no way of cutting out the bonnet to make the original one fit? or is the engine that much taller?

cheers

Hi MJWarren

I tried to fit a spare steel bonnet with the stiffeners removed and it still failed on the front right hand courner of the bonnet. There was about 1" gap under the front of the bonnet. Im not sure if its possible to fit a standard bonnet without jacking the front or rear up. Apparently it can be made to fit if you modify the subframe and or engine mounts.

Im not sure if anyone else who has a BMW conversion in a round front mini has managed to fit a standard bonnet with it fully closed. I now have the fibre glass bonnet bolted in. A few more minor modifications are needed to its profile and it will be ready for carbon wrapping.

Warren

#64 MJWarren

MJWarren

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

I might have this problem with mine as im waiting for my Kad engine to be built. Have you gone for the 16v bonnet? Ive seen carbon fibre one made by carbon weezel but look very expensive!

#65 mini_nutz

mini_nutz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the oil pressure should be on a new build?

I have a Turbo oil pump and a Oil Release Sping and ball from mini spares. The pump supplys approx. 9 gallons per min. The release sping is much harder then the original, mini spares say it should give you 75 psi at high revs. My oil pressure guage is saying that at idle i have about 60-65 PSI and with increasing the revs it jumps up to about 95-100psi. This seems very high! Should I fit an adjustible pressure regulator kit?

I know its not a good idea for the oil pressure to be to high as it gets too hot and can take BHP.

Can anyone help?

Warren

#66 MiniLandy

MiniLandy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

That oil pressure will be for a cold engine, i presume?

Once the engine's heated up properly, that oil pressure will come down a bit.

For example, on my car i get 60psi at idle when cold. When warmed up, it's 30psi at idle. When reeaally hot, it's 20psi at idle.

#67 MJWarren

MJWarren

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

ive just read back through about your gearing, how have you found the 3.4 diff?

What sort of power are you producing?

Matt

#68 mini_nutz

mini_nutz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

That oil pressure will be for a cold engine, i presume?

Once the engine's heated up properly, that oil pressure will come down a bit.

For example, on my car i get 60psi at idle when cold. When warmed up, it's 30psi at idle. When reeaally hot, it's 20psi at idle.

Hi

That is correct, this is when the engine is cold. Once it has got up to temperature is about 55-65PSI.

I have brought an oil pressure regulator adjustible cap, I will give this a go to see if I can reduce by about 5-10 PSI.

Warren

#69 mini_nutz

mini_nutz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

ive just read back through about your gearing, how have you found the 3.4 diff?

What sort of power are you producing?

Matt

Hi Matt

Things have ground to a hault on the car, untill last weekend as life got a little too hectic. The car is not on the road yet, I now need an MOT.

The bonnet is now fitted but it still needs a lot of work to get it fitting correctly and looking good.

Warren

#70 mini.rich

mini.rich

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

Hi there, very nice build. I've got a couple of questions as I'm just completing my own build :)
Are you running an O2/Lambda sensor? If so what is it? When I come to start it, is there any advise or anything to watch out for? Oh yeah, in the vid you've got no filters, are you running any? The only thing I've seen are those piper-x socks and I've only heard negative feedback about them??
Ta muchly :)

#71 mini_nutz

mini_nutz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hi there, very nice build. I've got a couple of questions as I'm just completing my own build :D
Are you running an O2/Lambda sensor? If so what is it? When I come to start it, is there any advise or anything to watch out for? Oh yeah, in the vid you've got no filters, are you running any? The only thing I've seen are those piper-x socks and I've only heard negative feedback about them??
Ta muchly :D

Hi

Had a look through your thread and pics, two very nice minis you have there. Where do you find the time?

Im not running a lambda sensor, I was told that you only need to use one when tuning the engine, this is because they get coked up easily and start to give incorrect readings which will give you an underperforming engine. Lambda sensors are also very tempermental and die easily, its position on a mini is not ideal and this can help reduce its life. They are also nearly £100 a time its not worth it. On a standard map the lambda settings are pre configured.

Dont think there is much to look out for, just check your oil and fuel pressure. Turn the engine over without the plugs untill you get a reading on an oil pressure guage, this is to prime the engine. This can take a while on a new build, dont be to worried when you get zero pressure. Then fit the plugs and turn her over. Check you battery is fully charged you may need to jump it to give it a helping hand on first start. There is a throttle adjustment screw on the throttle bodies that you may need to screw in if the engine keeps stalling. Once screwed in you must set the TPS to zero again.

I was recommended to use the K&N RU-1130 filters. These fit directly onto the throttle bodies and therefore you remove the ram pipes and keep them as a piece or art. I have yet to decide what im going to use. I have another thread here! To run the engine without filters is not a good idea but this is only for short testing runs and not for driving on the road.

Hope that helps, if you need any more help just ask.

Warren

#72 mini.rich

mini.rich

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

Thanks! I just spend whatever time I have spare on them! Recently I've attacked the twink to get it finished!!

So have you had yours tuned since it's been running?

I'll take a look at those filters, I'm contemplating making a Plenum chamber, but I don't think there is much room there :)

I thought I recognised those photo's, I'm on EFi mini's aswell :thumbsup:

Cheers :thumbsup:

#73 MJWarren

MJWarren

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

I also havent heard good reports about those filters either, i was reccomended the solid fronted KnN filters but i hate the look of those so im also stuck filter wise.

I ended up going for a 16 valve bonnet to Warren, gone for a carbon weezel one going to mount it on pins again. Is it taking a lot of effort?

Matt

#74 mini_nutz

mini_nutz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hi Everyone,
Its been some time since my last post been busy trying to finish off the last little bits and bobs. I have spent over a month trying to get the bonnet to fit correctly and without external fixings. The bonnet is a Kad 16v glass fibre bonnett, that originally had a front lip and some muppet from ebay cut it off in a straight line so I had to remake the whole front. I wraped in 3M carbon look vinyl with my old man this evening, not too bad if i dont say so myself. I just need an MOT now.

Enjoyn

Attached File  DSC_0437_640x425.jpg   23.23K   77 downloads
Attached File  DSC_0438_640x425.jpg   25.82K   64 downloads
Attached File  DSC_0439_640x425.jpg   28.67K   86 downloads
Attached File  DSC_0440_640x425.jpg   30.26K   82 downloads

Warren

#75 mini_nutz

mini_nutz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts