E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

right,
now the SPI has sold... I can introduce everyone to Sonic! '

I just got back from picking him up. I have done about 200miles today! I almost got wiped out on the way down. a bit of a brown trousser moment! You know those moments in your life where you get a felling somethings about to go down, and someting isnt right with the vechile in front? well I had one of those moments, then seconds later the full dumper truck in front of me on the m25 started to have embers coming out from underneath it, I was boxed in by heavy traffic either side of me and immdiatly started to slow down and look for a way to get away from it asap. A few more seconds past and even more embers started to come from underneath the truck then all of a sudden a big bang, some smoke (not as much smoke as I would imagine) but then plenty of tiny bits of metal cover the hire van I am in. this is the followed by a huge piece of pipe 45cm long, and pretty fat that comes bouncing out from underneath the truck! Right at me! I had already slowed a lot luckily but then had to break pretty hard, so hard that the dolly went up in the air a bit then came down again, luckily this pipe (drive shaft? prope shaft? whatever it was!) stopped bouncing down the road by the time I got to it and I ended up going right over it. If I was in the mini or most cars I dont think I would of gone over it. I saw a lot of cars swerve out of the lane behind me and can only presume that eventually someone hit it or hit someone else. The truck infront pulled over, i presume after losing power and I over took. but it was a bit hairy! I think if I hadnt slowed down at first when I did It would have hit the van.

Anyway, I got there safe in the end and didnt have any issues on the way back other than the rain! So here is Sonic! (below is one of the stickers that Martin-Roofless is currently making up for the pick up) I have a fair few stickers being created by roofless for Sonic. I have wheel centres, steering wheel centre, bonnet badge sticker, gear knob sticker, the below sticker and a couple of other custom stickers I have designed. I am really excidted about seeing how they have come out.
Posted Image

Loaded up on the towing dolly ready to be brought to London
Posted Image

Getting ready tp head off once strapped down and light board is in position (then I got 3 seconds down the road and noticed in my mirror that one of the wheels on the dolly was totally flat! :) so I had to head back so I could pump it up. I had a pump with me, but only an electric one that runs of the 12v cig socket. so the guy I bought the pick up from let me use some juice from his astra to get the tire pumped up again. It was so bad that the pump didnt read any pressure in the tire at all! I think I had just towed it down there like that! towing fail! :) !!
Posted Image

Its had a new rear from the cab back. the tail gate still has the sticker on it.
Posted Image

Finally I made it to my mates (just down the road for me, he is going to get it ready for me while I am away in newquay all week. What a nice guy huh?! :P )
Posted Image

Time to unstrap and get it off loaded

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Time to drive it off the dolly, unfortunatly 998 power + a wet dolly means it doesnt want to. Not enough power to get over the lip so my mate has to give it a good push for me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now it sits round my mates ready to be "customized" to my spec. whats the point in owning a mini if its not how you want it! Everything I am doing, can be put back to standard easily enough.
Posted Image

Sonic needs a new front at one point so Im not to worried about ruining the heritage look of it. its getting the mk1 grille from my spi with the black grill surround, the 13x7 black wheels off my Mayfair (see below picture)
Posted Image
these will be covered by Group 5 Euro arches like the ones I had on my SPI see picture below.
Posted Image

Mk1 grille from the SPI and moustach already black
Posted Image

The roof of the pick up, the mk1 moustache and the arches will all be painted black (thats whats being done while I am away in newquay) I also have some thick black bonnet straps to go on. The thick black ones are pretty rare I belive ;) I also have an order on hold with Chris at Retro retrims for a headlining, door cards, and dash backings. (the reason its was on hold was because there isnt really enough time to get it before L2b, so the Retro retrims interior should be in for one of the other shows) I also need to get a headlining frame (at the moment there is no door cards, or headlining at all) I know the headlining frames are like gold dust, but belive I have actually managed to source one. Its gonna cost a fair bit though :) what doesnt?!

I will be at L2b this year with the pick up. we are taking Hannas Mini to Newquay as a lot of you know. Unfortunatly there isnt enought time to fit the stage 1 MG block, so I will be chugging along 998 style to Brighton!

I hope you all like, now be nice to Sonic!

EDIT: I got a book load of paper work and history I am looking though. Its got a carpet set bought from Newton commercial in 1998, and RC40 (i dont remember... it might have?!) and loads of other things like a after market rev counter, speakers mounted under the dash rails, 12v cig socket etc There is also a form for the number plate, there was an enquiry made into someone wanted to buy it for £350. The company sent a form to the owner to see if he wanted to sell. I presume he didnt!

Edited by E.L.M.O, 30 April 2010 - 12:11 AM.

#2 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

Subscribed.

Can't wait to see what she'll look like :)

#3 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

Subscribed.

Can't wait to see what she'll look like :)

:) Cheers! dont think I have ever had someone subscribe to a topic of mine before! :)

ohh and SONIC is a he! :P

Edited by E.L.M.O, 30 April 2010 - 12:52 AM.

#4 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

I cant wait to finish work and go play! I m bunking off slightly early today so i will have time to do stuff and then prep for Riv.
I got a few things I need to do with Sonic asap before I head off to newquay tomorrow. I need to get the wheels off the other car (the KOD father) so I can give them to my mate so he cant do the arches correctly. but to do that I need to get hold of some more stealies. I got a few, just I need to go get them from somewhere else before I can do anything... etc etc... Its never as simple as just taking the wheels off!

Long term plans are some 10x7 MB split rims :) nice big FAT wheels! but till funds allow i will have to make do with my old black 13x7s
And I will have to get around to installing that MG block!

#5 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! :wub:

#6 aidenrr

aidenrr

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

ooooooh tasty im gunna keep my eye on this
has it been restod befre yu bought it or is there a lot to do

#7 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

Nice! Looks is half decent condition, good buy! :wub:

#8 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

ooooooh tasty im gunna keep my eye on this
has it been restod befre yu bought it or is there a lot to do

its had a partial resto. From the cab back. so the load bay is solid. Fronts a little untidy but not to tatty.

Nice! Looks is half decent condition, good buy! :wub:

Thanks mate. no where near as tasty as yours though! Dont you dare ever park yours anywhere near mine! you will put me to shame!

#9 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Nice buy there Neil!!

Looks like a nice sound base to start with.

#10 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

Looking forward to seeing Sonic once you`ve added your touches, looks really good already :wub:

#11 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:28 PM

yeah its a really good base.
Minor issues like loose on connection on the indicator stalk etc but other than that I am really happy with it. I hada good look at the interior, its got italian job seats in it. And I think the wheels are off an italian job also?

#12 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

Looks brilliant matey! :mrcool: Congrats! You need to bring it down to brands for the Mini se7ens this year! seen you there twice in the past i believe :dontgetit:

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 01 May 2010 - 01:47 PM.

#13 RetroRay

RetroRay

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

Put 10s on it !!!

#14 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members