87 replies to this topic

#76 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:14 AM

I had limo back tints all round on my mini when it was first done. Coupled to the fact that I was 17 at the time and that the mini was very very loud I used to know all of the police officers by name and what time their shifts started and finished etc.

The only thing that got me off was the fact that my local force didn't have a light meter to test them.

The conversation used to go 'those windows are illegal' 'are they officer? prove it.'

Also spent 2 hours in the back of a police car when I'd had enough of being pulled so I asked to see PACE....which they had to bring out in another car....that made them leave me alone for all of a week.

Now I don't have the tints as I can be bothered with all the hassle!

Ian

Er whats PACE got to do with being pulled over? Think you got pulled by some very dumb cops as they dont have to show you a copy at all as it is not a legal right or entiltement until such time as your arrested and taken to a Police Station and detention authorised..... also and people do forget this is that cops do not need a reason to pull a car over....the term routine stop check covers a multitude of checks that can be made....however they do need Grounds to search your car under S.1 and or S.23 Pace.

We all know what is legal and what is not....we try to get away with breaking the law and sometimes get caught out...thats the gamble!

#77 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

Ha i think it was you saying Prove It.Thats why they played you up for so long.Should have said they were on it when you bought it you had no idea. :)

#78 Puddings

Puddings

Nurburgring Master

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local Club: fabmoc/TMF

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

I've never been pulled in the mini but last year i bought a new car was was expecting to be pulled all the time as a 24 year old in a skyline gtr but not yet (touch wood) i guess its just how you drive and how well you keep your eyes peeled

#79 Timify

Timify

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

My last mini looked like Mr.Beans when it was on telly and full mods.I payed a good price for it and V5 wounder why i would get followed everywhere .Found out it had been used for Bham st. races.
The law had owned the car when they caught him. When i sold it to some lads they had to sign to agree this car is not fit for the road and there is not an honest part on it.It was in very good condition with no rot real bargain they just about payed for the spark plugs and new exhaust rally system. :bah:

I parked next to that in touchwood about 2 months ago and wondered who's it was

#80 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

I sold it to a young driver about 6-8 years ago if its the same car.If i remeber right it was a B reg.
I think the owner will always say it was more than a bargain at £100.No rot and full mods on the road.

#81 munkey26

munkey26

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

I was stopped by police on my way home from my girlfriends this evening and they done me for tinted windows and black and silver plates (my car is 1978). Luckily i was polite (and acted abit thick) and got away with not getting points but did get a £90 fine and had to remove some tint on the side of the road. Just a warning to anyone that has B+S plates or tinted windows you could get done. My tint was advertised as lightly smoked and legal but when tested it was allowing 36.7% of light through (ment to let 70% through)

Hope this helps someone out.... Chip

Should of got points as well as clearly you knew you were in the wrong.

Next time don't drive an illegal car on the road.

What if you had hit someone - either pedestrian or another car?

#82 toyboy396

toyboy396

Grandad in training.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

I was stopped by police on my way home from my girlfriends this evening and they done me for tinted windows and black and silver plates (my car is 1978). Luckily i was polite (and acted abit thick) and got away with not getting points but did get a £90 fine and had to remove some tint on the side of the road. Just a warning to anyone that has B+S plates or tinted windows you could get done. My tint was advertised as lightly smoked and legal but when tested it was allowing 36.7% of light through (ment to let 70% through)

Should of got points as well as clearly you knew you were in the wrong.

Next time don't drive an illegal car on the road.

What if you had hit someone - either pedestrian or another car?

Yeah right.. Because its the only illegal mini on the road eh!! 75% of minis you see are running with B&S plates no matter what year they are. Its one of those things where lots of us take that gamble, some get caught.. some dont. And when has someone hit a pedestrian because their plates were the wrong colour ?
As for the window tint that was a genuine mistake.. He was sold it as "legal" Yes it was dark but very easy to see through even at night. It seems the first people to want to have a dig about this were the idiots that weave through traffic thinking they own the road then moan when they fall off. How come you lot get away with tinted / mirror visors ? Accidents happen to everyone, whether your glass is tinted or clear.

Chip was clearly warning others about the risks and concequences of what most of us do to our minis to make them how we want them.

#83 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

My old X Pack XR3 the orange ones came standard with mild tints back in the early 80s.No problems with the law back then but they did like to stop it for a friendly look around.
If you have tinted front side windows keep them open most the time might help.
With dark tints at night you can still see a bike or car with its light on but easy to miss a push bike or someone in the road.No one wants to run over anyone by mistake. :thumbsup:

#84 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

I know a chap with a Nissan Navara who got pulled over (they probably thought he was a pikey). They did him for the tinted windows which it had from the factory. IMO these opacity machines are very oversensitive. Noone should be fined for having a car that's exactly how it came out of the factory.

#85 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

I know a chap with a Nissan Navara who got pulled over (they probably thought he was a pikey). They did him for the tinted windows which it had from the factory. IMO these opacity machines are very oversensitive. Noone should be fined for having a car that's exactly how it came out of the factory.

That would go straight back to the Manufacturer for supplying a vehicle unfit for purpose it that is true and it was mine.

#86 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

To be fair any of the members of this forum time and time again remind users that b & w numberplates are illegal unless your mini is old enough. If you choose to ignore there advice and the law and get caught, you cant really moan about it!

As for window tints, if they were advertised as legal then I sympathise with you, unfortunately people will often lie to help sell their products

#87 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

That would go straight back to the Manufacturer for supplying a vehicle unfit for purpose it that is true and it was mine.

Manufacturers do not tint the front windows at the factory. Dealers may do it, still doesn't make it legal. Door glass marked with AS2 on it, usually with manufacturers emblems etc is the maximum % allowed legally. Any additional tint (film) is illegal. AS2 denotes that it the vehicle is already at its maximum allowed limit

#88 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

Manufacturers do not tint the front windows at the factory. Dealers may do it, still doesn't make it legal. Door glass marked with AS2 on it, usually with manufacturers emblems etc is the maximum % allowed legally. Any additional tint (film) is illegal. AS2 denotes that it the vehicle is already at its maximum allowed limit

Okay, it must have been from the dealer then. There was no additional film on the windows. I still can't understand why it is legal for the dealer to fit these tinted windows if they're not fit for road use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users