#1 chipster196

chipster196

Destruction Daddy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: JKSA

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

I was stopped by police on my way home from my girlfriends this evening and they done me for tinted windows and black and silver plates (my car is 1978). Luckily i was polite (and acted abit thick) and got away with not getting points but did get a £90 fine and had to remove some tint on the side of the road. Just a warning to anyone that has B+S plates or tinted windows you could get done. My tint was advertised as lightly smoked and legal but when tested it was allowing 36.7% of light through (ment to let 70% through)

Hope this helps someone out.... Chip

#2 me madjoe 90

me madjoe 90

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

Dam I was thinking about geting black and silver plates for my 88 as my front white one is all cracked

I know its illigal but they look better/suit my car more and thought i could get away with it. Guss i cant get them now lam :lol:

On another point cant they be doing someting better with there time. like say pulling over chavs with there stupid big bore exhausts, rather than harassing us mini owners we clearly take more pride in our cars and cant realy break the speed limmit if like me you got standerd tired 998. Or maby catching car thives or something.

Edited by me madjoe 90, 10 May 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

Maybe me being an old fart, but if you didn’t have illegal plates for the year of car or tinted windows then maybe… you might not of been stopped.

#4 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

i get stopped by them at least once a fortnight, due to driving late at night, ( thanks to all the boyracers !!!! ) but i dont give them anything to do me for.

infact i got stopped on the way back from acecafe last week, at about 1.30am, i took a roundabout in secondgear, my minis loud and has straight cut drops, so to be fair i did give them bait, they were hiding up in one of the exits, but they kept me at the side of the road for ages, checking insurance etc, then they asked where i had been, what i had been doing, where im going, what im going to do. its annoying, but to be fair you did give a bored copper some bait.

#5 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

If anyone buys number plates in the know that they are illegal then they should go around in the know that theres a possibility they'll get stopped, fined and even given points. This is not a stab at the owner of the topic at all but if you get fined for having illegal plates after you bought them knowing they werent legal for your car then there is no reason you should get cross about it.

Again, not a stab at the owner of the topic directly as it was more of a warning topic than anything, but as i said, unless you bought the car with the plates on, and had no idea, then you have no reason to moan :lol:

#6 me madjoe 90

me madjoe 90

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

If anyone buys number plates in the know that they are illegal then they should go around in the know that theres a possibility they'll get stopped, fined and even given points. This is not a stab at the owner of the topic at all but if you get fined for having illegal plates after you bought them knowing they werent legal for your car then there is no reason you should get cross about it.

Again, not a stab at the owner of the topic directly as it was more of a warning topic than anything, but as i said, unless you bought the car with the plates on, and had no idea, then you have no reason to moan :lol:

I bet thats most peoples get me out of the situation line "sorry officer i dident know they were illigal, they were on it when i bought it".

#7 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

This is why i'm looking at getting coloured pressed plates for my 79 or coloured raised riveted plates. Much more unusual too! And also why we don't sell tinted front polycarb windows. Rears you can have as dark as you like. :lol:

#8 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

I told you they were too dark chip!, or is that floating hand? :lol:

Sorry to hear that, but sounds like you got off lightly.

#9 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

there was a thread on this somewere
about how dark they actually are when on a window
i think 95% light through comes up as around 20%

I used to have ludicrously tinted windows on my mini (front two) and i've been pulled over multiple times
big loud exhaust, bucket seats, roof off, big grin you know the usual..
and they never mentioned the windows

mainly because if you have tinted the front two windows wind them down when you are driving
it may get cold at night but a coat can sort that out
and you've got the argument of security windows as well as if you are spotted you've got the front two windows down
so they wont be able to tell they are as dark as night

As the little meerkat would say "Simpless"

but yes always abide by the law :lol:

#10 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

Maybe me being an old fart, but if you didn’t have illegal plates for the year of car or tinted windows then maybe… you might not of been stopped.

That's about the size of it. It's a bit hard to hide the fact the plates are illegal.

Chip, have you considered a large illuminated sign for the roof saying "please stop me"

#11 jake cooper

jake cooper

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

i get stopped by them at least once a fortnight,

Is this in the same area ? If so then this is harassment and you have grounds to complain. A mate of mine ended a relationship with a girl who's brother was a cooper. He was stopped every other day so complained to the local station and it stopped straight away. If a description of your car has been passed around the canteen for what ever reason then you will be stopped for fun.

Also as the OP said " i was polite " This helps big time and properly stopped him getting points.

Edited by jake cooper, 11 May 2010 - 09:35 AM.

#12 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

Also as the OP said " i was polite " This helps big time and properly stopped him getting points.
[/quote]

Not sure that these are endorsable offences

#13 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

You don't get points for numberplates and things, just fines.

My mates been done 3 times for his plates and been given a £60 fine each time, but points were never mentioned.

I always thought points were to do with your driving - Not what you are driving.

If i ever got caught with my B&S plates i'd probably leave them and take them off if they got me a second time...

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

You will get points for construction and use offences and as it could be 3 points per offence it could be a hefty haul for what you consider to be some minor rule bending. The decider will be if they think they can justify the court time.

I'd guess it was the windows that bothered them most, not being able to see properly is a much bigger hazard to other road users than number plates the wrong colour. I very much doubt that driving around with your windows down will avoid attention if the rest are as black as night.

#15 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

You don't get points for numberplates and things, just fines.

My mates been done 3 times for his plates and been given a £60 fine each time, but points were never mentioned.

I always thought points were to do with your driving - Not what you are driving.

If i ever got caught with my B&S plates i'd probably leave them and take them off if they got me a second time...

Yup, luckily they don't give you any points. Got stopped in the T4 near Heathrow, had B/S plates on it. £60 fixed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users