#1 minikev84

minikev84

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: TVMC

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

I got some new wheels at the start of the year in jan and i already need some new wheels or should i say wheel. I just been washing my mini ready for L2B and seen the lacquer is coming off one wheel only after 5 months, not very happy. Has anyone else had this happen to not very old wheels?

#2 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

i wouldnt know, but i wonder if waxing the wheels would help when you do the car?

#3 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

Where they from Midland wheels supplies?

If so many people have problems with them.

i wouldnt know, but i wonder if waxing the wheels would help when you do the car?

I have midland wheels on mine, and have waxed them a couple of times. Never had any problems.

#4 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

Mine are from Hudds and have started to peal... I've had them about a year though... :thumbsup:

#5 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

• Traders
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

wouldnt they be under warranty 12 months???

#6 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

I got some new wheels at the start of the year in jan and i already need some new wheels or should i say wheel. I just been washing my mini ready for L2B and seen the lacquer is coming off one wheel only after 5 months, not very happy. Has anyone else had this happen to not very old wheels?

How about you spray them up? go a little custom?
Where did you buy them from? Id be very interested to know. Some wheels seem to last a lot longer than others.

I have heard that also.

Plus, I was watching a youtube video on the best way to clean your car a while ago (I know a little strange and there are a lot better things to watch on youtube but I was after some waxing tips etc)
Anyway, the guy in the video (who claimed to be a professional car valet) said that you shouldnt use normal car soap on the wheels as It will mess them up. Only use proper wheel cleaner and put that on the wheels before you wash your car, this will help protect them from the soap that apparantly is very bad for the wheels. I was surpirised, but its what this guy said! I know I am going to use wheel cleaner from now on rather than the soap water from the bucket. But then again, ive just gone to the effort of stripping my wheels and spraying them and would rather put off the corrosion effect as long as i can!

#7 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

wouldnt they be under warranty 12 months???

If its from the place It sounds like they are from.........good luck!

#8 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

How about you spray them up? go a little custom?
Where did you buy them from? Id be very interested to know. Some wheels seem to last a lot longer than others.

I have heard that also.

Plus, I was watching a youtube video on the best way to clean your car a while ago (I know a little strange and there are a lot better things to watch on youtube but I was after some waxing tips etc)
Anyway, the guy in the video (who claimed to be a professional car valet) said that you shouldnt use normal car soap on the wheels as It will mess them up. Only use proper wheel cleaner and put that on the wheels before you wash your car, this will help protect them from the soap that apparantly is very bad for the wheels. I was surpirised, but its what this guy said! I know I am going to use wheel cleaner from now on rather than the soap water from the bucket. But then again, ive just gone to the effort of stripping my wheels and spraying them and would rather put off the corrosion effect as long as i can!

if youve just painted the wheels, then just treat them in the same manner as you would the car, you wouldnt go using wheel cleaner to wash the car now would you? :thumbsup:

#9 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

my superlites are awful! i wish the lacquer would peel on them! instead the water has got underneath them and they are covered in white marks! i am going to have to wet and dry them tot he bare metal and then polish them back up to a shiney finish! on the other hand i might keep these wheels for winter, and get some painted satin black ones for the summer!

#10 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

if youve just painted the wheels, then just treat them in the same manner as you would the car, you wouldnt go using wheel cleaner to wash the car now would you? >_<

most likely just water to wash them now. and then dry them off. the cars going to be garaged and I will try and not have it out in the rain, but at the end of the day mini shows and rain seem to go hand in hand.. espec looking at the weather forcast for this weekend :thumbsup:

#11 minikev84

minikev84

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:47 PM

I got them from Midland wheels supplies. I give them a call and they told me to send an email wid pictures. Hope it goes ok.

#12 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

That doesnt sound right at all about not using normal car shampoo on wheels, most of those wheel cleaner kits are far too acidic, if you ever get it on your hands, you'll know about it! If it does that to your hands, what does it do to the layers of paint?!

Also, we all know wheels spin round and take a beating, especially driving through weather from the last 5 months of this year, so what do people expect from a chrome laquered rim??! The laquer isnt invincible. Waxing the wheels regularly from new solves the problem.

#13 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

My mate just bought a Fiesta (st) Brand new (Silly, i know, it wasnt cheap) And Ford told him the same thing about the wheels and shampoo. He also got told not to use a regular chamois leather on the wheels, too. Apparently only microfiber will do.

#14 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

sounds like a manufacturing fault with that wheel....if they didn't de-grease the wheel before applying the laquer then it won't adhere correctly and just peel off. I'm sure if you ask nicely and point out that they are only 5 months old and that only 1 wheel is affected then they will replace it for you.....

#15 minikev84

minikev84

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

That doesnt sound right at all about not using normal car shampoo on wheels, most of those wheel cleaner kits are far too acidic, if you ever get it on your hands, you'll know about it! If it does that to your hands, what does it do to the layers of paint?!

Also, we all know wheels spin round and take a beating, especially driving through weather from the last 5 months of this year, so what do people expect from a chrome laquered rim??! The laquer isnt invincible. Waxing the wheels regularly from new solves the problem.

LOL... M&S add, This is not any mini this is my show mini and used on nice days mini also kept in the dry mini. Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users