32 replies to this topic

#1 per2003

per2003

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:47 PM

I'm planning on respraying the front end of my mini in the not too distant future, just to cover a few scratches, blemishes and treated rusty bits! But I've just come across an electric spray gun in the Clarkes catalog, has anyone ever tried one of these to spray their car as opposed to the usual compressed air set-up??

Paul

#2 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

I'm planning on respraying the front end of my mini in the not too distant future, just to cover a few scratches, blemishes and treated rusty bits! But I've just come across an electric spray gun in the Clarkes catalog, has anyone ever tried one of these to spray their car as opposed to the usual compressed air set-up??

Paul

A lot of these arround in the 60's and 70's. Did a fair job with cellulose paint. If you want to see one in action, watch "The Day of the Jackel".

#3 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

Paul

A lot of these arround in the 60's and 70's. Did a fair job with cellulose paint. If you want to see one in action, watch "The Day of the Jackel".

Showing your age there Phil! ... dam good film though!

#4 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

Paul

Dave, now dont go thinking your Mr fox.... he got shot in the end!!!!!

Oh and I have just primed most of my cooper in Cellu Hi Build primer using a 1 mm needle in a Earlex HVLp 3000 not bad if I say so myself and little to no overspray. Not sure if I will spray the car in celly yet using the HVLP all I can say is that it appears to have done a good job with the hi build celly primer.

#5 jimb

jimb

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Clan

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

Paul

Dave, now dont go thinking your Mr fox.... he got shot in the end!!!!!

Oh and I have just primed most of my cooper in Cellu Hi Build primer using a 1 mm needle in a Earlex HVLp 3000 not bad if I say so myself and little to no overspray. Not sure if I will spray the car in celly yet using the HVLP all I can say is that it appears to have done a good job with the hi build celly primer.

I used the earlex hvlp gun a couple of years ago and the coverage and finish was pretty good

#6 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

I got superb results with an apollo HVLP gun several times on various cars using cellulose paint years ago. but I'm not even sure you can buy cellulose anymore

Cheers
David

#7 leejunfan

leejunfan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

I got superb results with an apollo HVLP gun several times on various cars using cellulose paint years ago. but I'm not even sure you can buy cellulose anymore

Cheers
David

Just sprayed mine with the apollo HVLP and used cellulose, got the paint from http://www.auto-paint.co.uk. Got a better finish than i expected.

#8 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Just sprayed mine with the apollo HVLP and used cellulose, got the paint from http://www.auto-paint.co.uk. Got a better finish than i expected.

Got any pictures? I'm quite interested in this. I plan on spraying my car next year and I'd kind of hate to get a compressor just for that, because I know I'd never use it again.

#9 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

I thought HVLP guns were air fed. The OP was enquiring about electric spray guns.

#10 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

HVLP stands for high volume low pressure i belive, so i guess that can be for any gun that uses high volume low pressure, be it leccy or air fed. :) i guess anyway.

#11 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

HVLP stands for high volume low pressure i belive, so i guess that can be for any gun that uses high volume low pressure, be it leccy or air fed. :) i guess anyway.

Back in the hay days of electric guns HVLP had not even been thought of. Maybe someone can tell us of a HVLP electric gun so the OP might have an alternative.

#12 per2003

per2003

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

I was thinking somthing more along the lines of this. What you all think?

http://www.machinema...rless-spray-gun

#13 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

The ad states.."Not suitable for cellulose paint"

#14 GW

GW

Previously Small Bore Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

in that link it says not suitable for cellulose...look for an earlex gun - more money but a better tool for the job

#15 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

Back in the hay days of electric guns HVLP had not even been thought of. Maybe someone can tell us of a HVLP electric gun so the OP might have an alternative.

The Apollo HVLP electric compressor/gun I had was this style

http://www.agwoodcar...lmxqbqad10c9o1x
The next step up from the fully self contained electric gun type talked about from machine mart

Cheers
David

Edited by R1mini, 20 May 2010 - 11:24 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)