32 replies to this topic

#16 leejunfan

leejunfan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:21 AM

Got any pictures? I'm quite interested in this. I plan on spraying my car next year and I'd kind of hate to get a compressor just for that, because I know I'd never use it again.
[/quote]

Check my project link on my sig, the last page has pictures

#17 mgb1978

mgb1978

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

There are plenty of airless (electric) hvlp spray systems available.
here's one at a good price;
http://www.toolbank.com/p/ELXHV3500UKP
The one mentioned a couple of posts back by R1mini from agwoodcare looks like a better one for the job as it has a smaller needle.
Just be prepared for plenty of compounding to bring up a decent shine.

Edited by mgb1978, 21 May 2010 - 01:50 PM.

#18 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

in that link it says not suitable for cellulose...look for an earlex gun - more money but a better tool for the job

I was looking at the earlex hv5000, looks like a good quality product for the price, you can even change the needles in the gun. Not something I expected from an all in one unit.
I think I'll give either that of the an apollo a go when I come to paint my car next year, I'm not looking for show quality, and if I use celly then surely even if the finnish isn't amazing I can cut it back and polish it up?

I do freely admit thought I'm a total novice when it come to paint, compressors, guns etc.

#19 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

I sprayed celly yellow on one mini with a 2mm needle and there was a little orange peel however I did use the cheapest thinners available but it flatted out no problem.

So i then bought two addtional needles (the only ones they did) a 1.5mm and a 1.0mm, these were direct form earlex at I think £4 including postage.

Sprayed metallic green (skoda as had some left over) on a test panel and it went on really glossy and was well impressed with only the faintest of orange peel visible from about four inches, again using standard cheapo thinners. on an unprimed and unprepped panel (well I was just messing) and laqured.

Just finished spraying whole mini in high build primer, outside in the sun, went on great and seriously little to no overspray. this was a 50 / 50 and used about a litre for a good three coats excluding the roof. Can adjust the paint flow rate but not the air flow rate right the way down to the spray size of a 10p piece.

Next up is sparying the whole car in flame red, will either use high gloss or anti bloom thinners mixed with the celly, anyone any advice re which thinners?

Oh and it is an Earlex HVLP 3000 (i think) cost £50 new form amazon.

Will attempt to take some pictures and post of car in primer then finished as long as nobody gives me too much grief!!

#20 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Big man thats great to know. Really excited to see the pictures. Everyone in every thread says it's all about prep work. Prep prep prep, and pep some more I think with some good prep work and one of these guns using celly and lots of elbow grease a good finnish would be attainable.

Like I said I'm not looking for it to be concours, it's an everyday car. After reading about compressors and all the problems with water and oil in the lines, and all the other bits needed needed like filters, and valves etc etc a plug in and go option looks really appealing. I don't really have space to keep a compressor set up in the garage anyway.

#21 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

Big man thats great to know. Really excited to see the pictures. Everyone in every thread says it's all about prep work. Prep prep prep, and pep some more I think with some good prep work and one of these guns using celly and lots of elbow grease a good finnish would be attainable.

Like I said I'm not looking for it to be concours, it's an everyday car. After reading about compressors and all the problems with water and oil in the lines, and all the other bits needed needed like filters, and valves etc etc a plug in and go option looks really appealing. I don't really have space to keep a compressor set up in the garage anyway.

Will take some pictures when I get in and attempt to post this evening.

Cheers

BM

#22 guyfo

guyfo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

any update on this? im really interested in seein how good of finish they can achieve as i have a retro car ill soon be workin on and need to spray!

#23 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

After covering the car in primer I had a change of plan and went for the Smooth Hammerite in red. it has covered really well BUT and this is a big BUT it looks a matt finish. Not sure what to do about it to be honest.

I know others have had good results with this type of paint but mmm not happy.

However on the plus side I now I have a car sitting covered in a good few coats of Smooth Red Hammerite AND have just done a test panel with some celly I had left over and it has not reacted in the slightest so at the very least I have a cracking undercoat!!!!!!

Oh and I cant upload pictures!!!!!

#24 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

It all depends on the kind of finish you want to achieve. You can get an "ok" finish with the electric sprayers, a finish which some people are perfectly happy with. I personally think the finish is very bad, very peely and requires alot of buffing to get it to look near to a spray gun finish. If you're just doing a one off spray job and aren't fussy, then it's ok. If you think you might spray again and want to learn a valuable skill, then you can get a good gun and compressor for about £300, and it'll last forever. Use it once and it pays for itself.

#25 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

I can get get the paint (hamerite) smooth and mark free its ust flat not glossy? Any Ideas?

Can do celly with my electric gun even celly metallic and it goes on a treat just thought I would try something new and now wishing I hadnt.

#26 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

if it's finishing with a matt finish, it could be that you're either applying too much at once, or not allowing each coat to dry. I've never sprayed hammerite, so don't know what the best finish you can get is like. Failing that you could just try buffing it up after it's dried?

#27 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

thanks for that , will leave it alone for a week before touching again and see what happens, cheers BM

#28 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

size of a 10p piece.

Will attempt to take some pictures and post of car in primer then finished as long as nobody gives me too much grief!!

Who on earth would give you grief ?

#29 mk3cortina

mk3cortina

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

painting you car in hammerite is just a headache, well, a headache if anyone is going to paint over it. the eejut who owned the car before me painted it with an enamel based paint like ahammerite and i have to completely paint stripper the car before i can respray it as enamel reacts with spray paints.

#30 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

size of a 10p piece.

Who on earth would give you grief ?

Those who dont know me !!!! :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users