81 replies to this topic

#1 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

I'm really annoyed now. I've spent over £200 upgrading my cooling system, with a new uprated 2 core radiator, silicone hose kit, as well as a recent service including new oil filter, oil, HT leads and 88c thermostat.

Ever since L2B the cooling on my car has somehow become worse. Even in mild conditions if overheats.

Last week, it got pretty bad, the temp gauge would always stay above the norm and creep up if faced with a hill or fast stretch. So after fitting the new oil filter, getting some expensive good quality oil, and fitting a new thermostat, i took it out for a spin, and the cooling is just as bad ;D

It's driving me mad. This car consumes most of my income and everything i do on it ends up making it worse. There's no water leak anywhere in the engine bay, i checked. Oil levels are fine. I thought the upgraded radiator, new hoses and new thermostat would improve cooling a lot, but it hasn't changed a bit.

What could be wrong? I have to know because i'm falling out of love with my car :-

#2 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

If the 2-core rad dosen't keep it cool, then the car is making too much heat or water isn't circulating correctly. those 2-core rads will cool a turbo a-series making over 150bhp.

My first thoughts are that your water pump is no good, it's not unknown for the pressed impellor to rust and become ineffective. Only way to check is by taking it off.

Ohter things could be a lean mixture or incorrect timing or a head gasket failure.

#3 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

Timing and mixture are spot on, the car was RR'd a weeks before L2B. The water pump may be the answer, if hasn't been replaced in a while and it didn't enjoy the freezing winter very much. They're not very expensive to buy so i'll order one and see if that does the trick. If it doesn't i'll snoop about and see if any oil is leaking from under the block head. Thanks ;D It just drives me mad when i've spent a lot of money on something and it doesn't do anything!

#4 duds_12

duds_12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

Timing and mixture are spot on, the car was RR'd a weeks before L2B. The water pump may be the answer, if hasn't been replaced in a while and it didn't enjoy the freezing winter very much. They're not very expensive to buy so i'll order one and see if that does the trick. If it doesn't i'll snoop about and see if any oil is leaking from under the block head. Thanks ;D It just drives me mad when i've spent a lot of money on something and it doesn't do anything!

i had this problem
it might be silly but when the water pump was changed are you sure the mechanical fan is the right way around?
i had that problem doh

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

Ermm ... sure the gauge / sender isn't borked?

#6 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

Try a lower thermostat (74) for summer - and flush out the block with drain cleaner - or just with a hose. I had to fit the earlier smaller waterpump pulley to keep mine cool - it did make a good difference. But I agree - it could well just be the gauge - has it ever actually boiled up ?

#7 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

I had an 88 degree thermostat in mine when it was warm recently and my car liked to stay above the normal mark on the gauge. I changed it to an 82 and it now runs on the normal mark (even at 4000 rpm and 70 mph for long runs). Could just be the thermostat. Try an 82 or a 74 depending on your driving conditions.

Cheers,

Andrew

#8 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

Sorry i didn't reply back to this thread quicker, i've been sick as a dog ;D It may be the thermostat too, as it's summer i'll try using the 74c.

Which way round should the fan go? My dad was the last person to fiddle with the radiator/fan so i can't remember which way it went. There's a smooth side, and a side in which the centre has lots of little indents.

At the moment, the smoother side is facing the radiator and the indented side facing the block. Is that the right way around?

#9 Yoda

Yoda

• Traders
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

Thats your problem i think, turn the fan round and all should be good

#10 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

Thats your problem i think, turn the fan round and all should be good

So my fan is the wrong way around??? :shifty:

#11 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

Since there are many fan types and styles, I find it easier to look at the blade shape when trying to determine if a fan is on the right direction.

engine --------- ( --------- Radiator

Roy, can you elaborate a bit on running drain cleaner in the block? What does that do to the radiator?

#12 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Posted Image

This is my fan. Should the side shown in the photo be facing the block or the radiator?

#13 E-Tizzle

E-Tizzle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

put a picture up of the fan when u get a chance so that peeps can compare

edit : sorry i was a bit slow typing that out

Edited by E-Tizzle, 12 June 2010 - 01:17 PM.

#14 E-Tizzle

E-Tizzle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

im pretty sure that top face is suppose to be facing the rad - but ill go have a look.

yeah i was right. im uploading a picture for you.

when looking from front of car. engine .... \ .... radiator

Posted Image

Edited by E-Tizzle, 12 June 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#15 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

Okay, i'll switch it around when i'm fitting the new water pump. Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users