Mine is a 1990 and has one.

#33 Davidmt

Davidmt

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 09:22 PM

Mine has just been recarpeted by the previous owner and yes - the rear ashtray is still there so can't knock it out without leaving a hole in the carpet.  I have just ordered the clock and USB for the front dash ashtray and will check if this also fits the rear.

I am hoping that in the 13 years since this post was last updated someone has made some cool accessories to replace the chrome ashtray.....anyone?

Edited by Davidmt, 12 November 2023 - 09:25 PM.

#34 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 15 November 2023 - 11:38 PM

Mine has just been recarpeted by the previous owner and yes - the rear ashtray is still there so can't knock it out without leaving a hole in the carpet.  I have just ordered the clock and USB for the front dash ashtray and will check if this also fits the rear.

I am hoping that in the 13 years since this post was last updated someone has made some cool accessories to replace the chrome ashtray.....anyone?

The size of the front ash tray it totally different to the rear one.

Years ago I was working on a 3D printed cup holder and power outlets that would go over the rear ash tray. I printed a test and basically forgot about it, I should look at it again.

#35 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 12:03 AM

I think like with most cars these days ash trays are a bit of a thing of the past, and in particular with this one the position was a bit daft anyway, being on the floor.. I know the options were a bit limited in the mini for where to put things but as someone else already said it's just going to get kicked all the time

if you're looking at other things like cupholders, USB charging, storage of any kind, surely looking to the companion bins is the way forward.  an arm rest that lifts up and storage beneath it maybe, something along those lines

I removed my ash tray holder almost straight away because every time I got in there to disassemble something I banged a knee on it or leant on it accidentally and used a few choice grown-up words

Edited by stuart bowes, 16 November 2023 - 12:03 AM.

#36 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 16 November 2023 - 12:31 AM

I think like with most cars these days ash trays are a bit of a thing of the past, and in particular with this one the position was a bit daft anyway, being on the floor.. I know the options were a bit limited in the mini for where to put things but as someone else already said it's just going to get kicked all the time

if you're looking at other things like cupholders, USB charging, storage of any kind, surely looking to the companion bins is the way forward.  an arm rest that lifts up and storage beneath it maybe, something along those lines

I removed my ash tray holder almost straight away because every time I got in there to disassemble something I banged a knee on it or leant on it accidentally and used a few choice grown-up words

I was always trying to work out what to put there and I guess that was the issue (I didn't want to modify the body). I should've just removed it during the restoration, it is just something to injure myself on.

Edited by 68+86auto, 16 November 2023 - 12:32 AM.

#37 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 16 November 2023 - 12:33 AM

My first mini was a 1963 850 and the side bins in the back had Ash trays fitted at the front of each bin where the seat belts are now fitted.

Allan

#38 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 23 November 2023 - 08:05 PM

I saw this on Instagram this week - basically a 3D printed cover that replaces the ash tray (and uses the original bracket). You get 2 cup holders & the middle is a coin slot or you can remove that to fit a phone. Also a usb charger port

Attached Files

#39 71Pickup

71Pickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 November 2023 - 09:07 PM

That’s actually quite cool

#40 Davidmt

Davidmt

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 November 2023 - 11:01 PM

That’s actually quite cool

I agree. I have just bought one from their eBay store. I will report back when it arrives but got to be better than an ashtray and even very useful.

Thank you to Timmy850 for finding and posting.

#41 Davidmt

Davidmt

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 05:37 PM

Well it arrived today and will do the job realy well - needs a bit of fitting and wiring to make it sit over the carpet etc but a nice addition and saves removing the ashtray and recarpeting.  

Attached File  20231128_160636.jpg   46.53K   2 downloads

#42 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 29 November 2023 - 02:25 AM

Thats neat.
Can the cupholders be reached from the front seats?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users