Photo
- - - - -

De-Icer in the windscreen washer bottle?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:24 AM

Would it be possible/sensible/safe/funny to put De-Icer in your windscreen washer bottle?? I mean just think, no more standing out in the cold scrap ice off your windows and onto yourself, just put on the windscreen washer a couple of times, a couple of turns of your windscreen wipers and your spreading De-Icer all over your windscreen?!

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

What I've been tempted to do in the past is run a coil of cooper pipe through the washer bottle and connect it to the heater pipes, that way you should get heated washer water :cheese:

#3 PikeyMini

PikeyMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:33 AM

good thinking batman!

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:35 AM

Or, an even more radical idea, have part washer fluid, part alcohol/meths/petrol in your washer bottle. The have a small lighter just in front of each washer jet, connected to the swtich for the washer jets. When you hit the switch for your jets, lighter comes on, highly flamable liquid comes through the jet. Flame thrower on pointed at your windscreen, instant de-icer!

#5 eddyg

eddyg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Local Club: London and Surrey

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:39 AM

ingenious.!! and any soot that would result on the screen would be washed away by the screen wash content of the spray!!!

#6 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:45 AM

What I've been tempted to do in the past is run a coil of cooper pipe through the washer bottle and connect it to the heater pipes, that way you should get heated washer water :cheese:

Ive thought about that myself.

#7 PikeyMini

PikeyMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

oh dear this is getting stupid now, BUT you could also have the washer jets that could be moved about so when the buggers who try and clean your windscreen at the lights or if someone is going to break into the mini you can aim it at em and flamethrow them! :( :(

#8 jamieoliver

jamieoliver

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:48 AM

Halfords do one already made up for you. Its buy 1 get 1 free at the moment so its 10 litres for £6.

#9 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:49 AM

I lived in Germany for a couple of years and at some of the yank bases you could buy washer fluid that would de ice your windows, it was ace. Also you could get vodka as cheap as £3 a bottle, i heard stories of people mixing that with there washer fluid but i never bothered to try.

#10 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:49 AM

Nip in to Halfords, they do something called night before de-icer...

I had never heard of it before until a couple days ago when I was in there I heard someone ask for it..

Rub on the windows at night and hey presto, frost free in the morning..!

Until you spray them and they ice up that is.. but jammy_basturds flame thrower would take care of that..! :(

#11 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:59 AM

Halfords do one already made up for you.  Its buy 1 get 1 free at the moment so its 10 litres for £6

Don't buy it - its a marketing gimmick. All it is is coloured water, trust me, I worked there for 3 years.

And its £5.99 a bottle (ok, so its buy one get one free at the moment, so £3.00 a bottle). For that money you get 5 litres per bottle. For the same money you can get the concentrated fluid (5 litres), which at a ratio of 6:1 will do 30 litres of fluid, if you skimp with the fluid and do 10:1 you can 50 litres of washer fluid! Much better value for money. Halfords just prey on the lazy people who can't be arsed to mix their own fluid.

#12 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  • Local Club: Central Minis

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:21 AM

Also you could get vodka as cheap as £3 a bottle, i heard stories of people mixing that with there washer fluid but i never bothered to try.

Mate of mine tried to smuggle back 3 litres of Gin in his Jag washer bottle (before all the de-restrictions). Was alright till he got to Dover, forgot about it and sprayed his windscreen just before he got into the Customs Hall. They ripped his car apart because it stunk of Gin!!! :(

Of course keeping your mini in a garage overnight helps :(

#13 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:50 AM

I just walk when its cold. It seems to be colder in the mini than on the street!

#14 minipixie

minipixie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local Club: Lincoln TMF and Notts TMF

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

I just walk when its cold. It seems to be colder in the mini than on the street!

snap! plus it' quicker, once uv stood around de-icing etc etc

#15 mini1071s

mini1071s

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:10 PM

What I've been tempted to do in the past is run a coil of cooper pipe through the washer bottle and connect it to the heater pipes, that way you should get heated washer water  :cheese:

Done already by volvo, more or less free from the scrappy on 440's and other models. Have one in another car, (not a mini). they are amazing. Not that we ever need them down here :( They are electric.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users