#1 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:40 AM

my car is a 1973, but thats when it was registered, tacking a slight guess that it would have been made before 06-11-1973 when it was registered, unless they made it and sold it all in one day :tongue: i was told a while ago that if you can prove when a car was made then you could become tax exempt, is this possible??????

cheers Gaz

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:44 AM

Yea, it should say on your V5 when your car was manufactured. Not sure exactly how you go about claiming the car is tax exempt though. Ring the DVLA, they should be able to tell you.

#3 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:45 AM

British Motor Heritage can do you a heritage certificate to prove the date of manufacture. Your Mini needs to have been made before January 1973 I think to get tax exempt status.

But as a quick way to check. Does your Mini have a remote gear change or a rod change? This changed in 1973.

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:54 AM

If it was registered on the 6th November 1973, then there's cop all chance it was made before 1st Jan 1973...

I think you may JUST get away with one registered in January 1973..

V5 only show registration date not manufacured date.

#5 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:54 AM

doesn't say on the log book when it was manufactured, only first registration, only have the shell so dont know about gear change, i can give engine number 770993
or chassis number xa2as11096642a, its registered as a 1380cc

if any one knows of the year codes

#6 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:33 AM

The front tunnel section on the floor is different on remote change and rod change. For remote change (pre '73) it'll be round like the section behind the cross member, with a lump for a push start on the floor. For rod change (post 73) it'll have a squared front tunnel section, and no lump for a floor starter button.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:45 AM

There are no year codes.

You will have to pay BMH to give you the certificate to get proof that the DVLA will accept.

And you aren't exempt from road tax, you still have to have a tax disc for this year on your screen or you'll get fined or the car will be crushed (and the car still has to be SORNed at the moment or they can fine you too by the way even though you just have a shell). It's just that your tax disc is free.

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:47 PM

How much of the car do you actually have ? as if you have just the shell you're scuppered anyway.

#9 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:37 PM

what do you mean GW how much do i actually have? i have full shell, log book, and loads of various bits from the car

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:51 PM

You need to have more than a certain amount of the original car or brand new replacement parts in order to retain it's identity. It's to stop people doing the old thing of buying a logbook and plate then pretending that their twin point is actually a mk1 Cooper S to avoid paying tax and to try to con people. The rules are on the DVLA website in the section about kitcars and customs.

#11 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:16 PM

do the guys with the r1 conversions keep the same reg, been reading the dvla website and i'm a bit confused, it says that you have to keep a certain amount of the original car and at the mo i'm only keeping the shell, will i have to re register???

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:32 PM

I honestly think the guy a z cars are walking a very fine line, but technically it's not a rebuilt vehicle, as it comes to them as a mini, it's just highly modified...

As for yourself, aslong as your not trying to missrepresent what the car is, ie it is rebuilt as what the v5 and shell are then there probably will not be any issues...

It's just like as Dan says, it's there to stop "bodgit and run motors" taking a 2001 MPI sooper sport and slapping a 1969 commision number and v5 on it claiming it's a MK3 cooper...

Actually most of them end up in the USA anyway.... it's amaiing what you see on ebay.com !! :nugget:

Edited by GuessWorks, 25 November 2005 - 09:37 PM.

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:38 PM

Do they not need to take the SVA then? I just assumed they would since you can't really call it the same car as it was originally.

If you do take the SVA you can get an age related plate but how would you determine the age of this car?

I'll bet that these new rules have got a lot to do with the demise of MBM. I think they produced quite a lot of twin point Mk1 Mini Cooper's of dubious heritage for the American market.

Edited by Dan, 25 November 2005 - 09:41 PM.

#14 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:50 PM

examples....

1976 twin point *cough*

1973 twin point *ha ha ha*

Hmmm..... 1974... yeh ding dong... oh there goes my other leg

And the best of them all... a 1972 "Jet Black"

#15 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:53 PM

and as for MBM....

The mini 30 I had had been "Fully restored by them" I have the original receipt..

yets just say, teabags have less holes in them !!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users