lol :lol:

#18 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:55 PM

whats going on with the ringers on ebay usa then????

#19 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:04 PM

They wre made by MBM or Broadspeed on the whole specifically for export. There is one state (I think it's Georgia) which has slightly less than vigilant vehicle import and classification laws and very lax emissions laws. People use this state to get the cars into the country and then thay can take them where they like. Then as long as it's registered as being old enough to pass the relevant emissions test of any state it can be taken there permanantly. They have to be really old (or give the impression of being really old) to get into California, but other states are easier.

#20 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:08 PM

they look they are brand newish cars though refurb r not!

How do they prove it is an older car?

i take it they buy things like minimadjonesy historical documents and do it like that?

not saying you were selling for this reason MMJ. Just that the more unscrupulous people might have bought it for this reason?

#21 DaveCoxon

DaveCoxon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:24 PM

The MPi's are desirable out here as they're bloody nice minis! All leather, shiny paint, big blinging wheels, etc...

Interestingly, touching the VIN on a vehicle in the USA is a federal offence (prison). All of these 'mid 70's sportspacks' will have been tagged in the UK.

Whilst i have no problem in general with 'pop rivet restorations' the fact is the MPi mini must rate amongst (as a percentage of the production run) one of the most stolen cars of recent times. We know places are available to re-set the immobiliser unit, a new ign lock/barrell kit isn't going to break the bank, and a set of lock barrels are easilly changed.
All that's needed is a set of tags, a V5, and that MPi will NEVER be seen in England again. :lol:

All sold on for an exceptionally healthy profit and with little risk of being caught. Once it's on that container, and you're not bringing it into California, you're pretty much home-free...

If i had a nice MPi mini in the UK (or any nice mini infact) , I'd be getting the windows etched with the VIN number, using a disclock whenever I park up, and a Non-Rover alarm system with a battery backup. If you have the moolah, Tracker or equivalent will always help pin-point these scrotes to the law.

#22 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:22 PM

so if i re-register, my car/shell as an 1800, with the golf engine number will that be ok?
its still gonna look like a mini, just gonna have a wide track and big arches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users