Photo

1988 Immaculate Mini - How Much Is It Worth?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#16 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: Cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:03 AM

I think £2000 is way too low if the car is in the condition mentioned.

Take a look at some of the cars in the classifieds (not just here) and see what they sell for, a good friend of mine sold a fairly standard mayfair in good condition last year for over £5000, prices haven't dropped that much yet!!!

#17 minijules

minijules

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Local Club: A's of Herts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:15 AM

Take a look at some of the cars in the classifieds (not just here) and see what they sell for, a good friend of mine sold a fairly standard mayfair in good condition last year for over £5000, prices haven't dropped that much yet!!!

Good point. but most cars for that money have been upgraded

#18 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: Cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:22 AM

Upgraded isn't always good for keeping value in a car, one persons idea of good is often someone elses nightmare.

Valuations of classic cars (which is what this is) fall to the floor if unoriginal unless they're something actually special (eg radfords or wood and pickett minis from the 60s) in this case this should be worth more as it is now than a home modified version of the same car.

#19 Libby

Libby

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

Hi All,

Keep the ideas coming, many thanks.

I believe that this car has original paintwork which shows no sign of rust or damage apart from a small dent in the boot which I have told them to get repaired. The re build as far as I can see was a refurb of the interior seats and carpets. This was done by the Car museum in Calne. I have just phoned and asked my mate to find out. I also believe the car has been kept garaged for most if not all of it's life.

We will arrange to get more photos perhaps at the weekend.

It occurred to me that a possible way forward would be to get one of the magazines to do an article and then state at the end that is is for sale. This might create a good deal of interest.

Best regards

Chris

#20 minijules

minijules

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:55 AM

"I am told that they sold 6,400 tickets at £4 a go! Now that is a lot of money eh!"

I think you should do a raffle you could make a fortune selling half the amount of tickets..

#21 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

Upgraded isn't always good for keeping value in a car, one persons idea of good is often someone elses nightmare.

Valuations of classic cars (which is what this is) fall to the floor if unoriginal unless they're something actually special (eg radfords or wood and pickett minis from the 60s) in this case this should be worth more as it is now than a home modified version of the same car.

Cambiker is bang on, its a bit of a common misconception that the more money and goodies you chuck at a mini the more its worth.

A good standard and un-molested car such as this will fetch a premium, if its as nicely restored as it looks then it will sell easily.

Upgrades aren't always a good idea, in fact a lot of things I see are a step backwards, big wheels, big exhausts, loud air filter, oversize brakes. stiffer brakes, uncomfortable seats all uneeded and usually make the car worse.

I bet a few people would be surprised at just how nice that little car is to drive, chuckable smooth.

If its as nice in the flesh as the picture then its gonna get just as much attention as a modded car.

#22 minijules

minijules

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

Cambiker is bang on, its a bit of a common misconception that the more money and goodies you chuck at a mini the more its worth.

A good standard and un-molested car such as this will fetch a premium, if its as nicely restored as it looks then it will sell easily.

Upgrades aren't always a good idea, in fact a lot of things I see are a step backwards, big wheels, big exhausts, loud air filter, oversize brakes. stiffer brakes, uncomfortable seats all uneeded and usually make the car worse.

I bet a few people would be surprised at just how nice that little car is to drive, chuckable smooth.

If its as nice in the flesh as the picture then its gonna get just as much attention as a modded car.

When did i say Modded? i said upgraded! I agree that its nice and that, and that original is better than modded. I just think that if the Mini City E was still being produced today it would fetch about £5000ish new and one that has 13k on the clock would be a lot less than that. Not only that, you can buy a nice mk1 for £5K so who would spend £5K on a city E? you'd have to be mad.

#23 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

When did i say Modded? i said upgraded! I agree that its nice and that, and that original is better than modded. I just think that if the Mini City E was still being produced today it would fetch about £5000ish new and one that has 13k on the clock would be a lot less than that. Not only that, you can buy a nice mk1 for £5K so who would spend £5K on a city E? you'd have to be mad.

yes I agree, It is a city E and therEfore has a upper limit and cannot be classed in the same league as some other models,
Is the car unwelded, restored, patchwork quilt? Unless you show details of the floors and panel joints it is impossible to accuratly value.

I reckon from what I have seen circa 2K

#24 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

if it is original paintwork for me it would add value and if it's never been welded I would be very interested in buying, feel free to PM.

#25 Minimainiac

Minimainiac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

Has she sold this car yet?

#26 jay30

jay30

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:49 AM

Often, some of the lower models go for high prices, due to so many of them being "only an E, only a City, etc" and get discarded and left to rot. An example of basic or standard model are often much rarer as they don't get considered as anything special.

I agree that £2000 is way to low and would expect it to fetch £3000 plus if as smart as it look in the pictures.

#27 Libby

Libby

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

Has she sold this car yet?

Hi Minimainiac,

As far as I am aware it has not gone up for sale properly yet. I have been asking for confirmation that when it was re built no work was done to the body which is in excellent condition due to being garaged.

Best regards

Chris

#28 gmcmeeking

gmcmeeking

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

This car must be worth between £3000 and £3500.
Depending on how good the resto was.
Is the engine bay as clean as the outside of the car..?????

#29 Minimainiac

Minimainiac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

This car must be worth between £3000 and £3500.
Depending on how good the resto was.
Is the engine bay as clean as the outside of the car..?????

I'm not so sure it's worth that much, you can get a really nice restored mk1 for around that.

#30 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

if you wanted a new shell it would cost more than 4k, that car has to be 3k of anyones money, if you want a clean mini, a city e is the trim and the diff, that car has the ability to be left as is or modified to a good project, and when you see what people spend 1500quid on a rotten old cooper, stick it on ebay with a proper reserve, and see what the market tells you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users