One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Minis

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

Update 05/18/10

Quite a nice little update.

My mate came over to double check on the engine and the cam,clutch and general look of the engine and it looks very good and turns over. Spent £70 quid on a cambelt kit, oil filter and waterpump which he also fitted and wouldnt take a penny off me!
Anyway ,saved myself £130 quid so i employed my mate for a few houirs to help me shed some weight off Kermit.

Total weigh saved
removing boot build 2x 6x9s 2 subs amp etc etc 80kg saved
Rear bins,abit of carpet and rear bench 5kg saved
Fibre passenger door 11kg saved (more to come)
Carpets and sound proofing 3kg saved
Fibre bonnet 3 1/2kg saved
to do-

webasto roof for a carbon
fibre boot foor
fibre boot
weigh polycarb windows
frontend
seats
and whatever else i can!

Few pictures of todays work as usual anyhow .
Back at work on nights for 4 days then im off for 4 again so wont be any updates untill then.
Thanks for looking :mmkay:

Ben

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 vini

vini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: no never again

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

nice project mate.got the same conversion as me.plenty of torque and power plus reliability at the same time.Dean.
Posted Image

#18 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

I notice you havent converted the clutch to hydrolic, are you planning to do this?

if not how are you going to get the cable system to work in the mini?

Thanks

Chris

#19 Stevee

Stevee
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: #

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Looking good :P this things gonna be a beast!

im gonna do one better than you now ;]

Rover K Series 1.6 16 valve project soon :P

#20 james105

james105

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

Great project! Will be watching.

What digi dash was/ is it running? and how easy was it to set it up and getting it to work with the A-series lump?

#21 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

Looks lush mate :thumbsup:
how do you know what to do?
haha
i'd be lost

#22 josh.evans

josh.evans

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

any update mate?

=Josh

#23 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

Awesome project. Love the attention to detail and colour coding :D

#24 BenH

BenH

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

Great project! Will be watching.

What digi dash was/ is it running? and how easy was it to set it up and getting it to work with the A-series lump?

It its an ETB digidash, best piece of kit iv ever bought and dead easy to install, know a few people with them and they are the bees knees!

#25 MarkGTT

MarkGTT

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hi, nice looking project - seems like a good engine conversion.

How do you get round the clutch and gear linkage - and fitting this to the mini items?

I looked at a few engine conversion (briefly to be honest) the above was what worried me (amount of work wise)

#26 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

How do you get round the clutch and gear linkage - and fitting this to the mini items?

I looked at a few engine conversion (briefly to be honest) the above was what worried me (amount of work wise)

hmm, is this your next project idea? lol

looks good ben, like the ol colour coding and neatness

#27 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

Gear linkage is kept standard, and a small bulkhead box is welded in.
Posted Image

Theres 3 options for the clutch.
Install the vuaxhall hydrolic slave, and run it off the standard mini master cylender (its the right size) with a custom hose.
or modify the mini's pedal box to take the cable clutch.
If fitting a 16V like alexcrosse, you have a pedal box, with the same options as above.

:)

Chris

#28 BenH

BenH

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

23/08/10

Ok been a while since i updated. When i come on here and see people with project threads still uncompleted 6 years down the line i always used to think why the heck it took so long! But since deciding to do this project i can realise how much works involved, it could of been a quick project but i want everything to be just right.
At the end of the day this is the dream mini that iv wanted so it needs to be right.

I had to give up my rented garage since the break in which has left me working outside and god has done his very best to ******* me off to say the least, the cars getting soaked every-day and it really gets me down since its been garaged for so long before.

I started cleaning up the floorpans and boot area and found Rust and holes everywhere, also didnt realise it had been fitted with oversills! i now need inner/outer sills both sides, outer steps both sides and the 1st ridge of floor for the back on one side.also need a new section under the rear light drivers side.
After finding all this it just really got to me, i considered getting a new shell. After my 3 years of messing with Minis, i hadnt spent a full year on the road, with a really dodgy unreliable first mini ,a driving ban, high insurance premiums, my year waiting for my 1330 for kermit, my girlfreinds mini slowing starting to deteriorate and now this i thought long and hard and decided that id tuck the allspeed gear and frame away,flog kermit and have a few years out.
I rang my grandad (where the cars kept) and told him it was going..He agreed it was a good idea
Then i told my Mum and Dad who have hated me spending ,what could of been a house deposit on a car and have continuosly told me to flog it over the years,but suprisingly they told me it was a silly idea! They said why get rid of something that id spent all that time and effort on, my mum said'' you cant do that because its part of the family!'' Id been on pistonheads scouting for cars...why is it that everytime i go on there looking for a cheap runnaround i end up looking at ferraris and all the dream cars! The final straw was when i was at my local and one of the indian waiters (an 18 year old) with a brand new top of the range bmw convertable came over and was like''get a proper car'',''whats the point wasting your money''I was adamant that i was done miniying for a while
So low and behold....

My recent order for parts :)

carbon fibre exposed weave miglia arches
fibreglass boot floor
fibreglass mk3 bootlid
fibreglass battery box
fibreglass parcel shelf
Fibreglass Rear valance
Alloy 4 gallon tank

to order

Panels for floors/sills etc
Carbon fibre exposed weave roof
fibreglass drivers door to match my passenger one
polycarb rear window to go with my side windows
Sytec fuel pump
lightweight seats

Since my last update iv done some work on the girlfreinds mini, new arches mudflaps new grill new seats etc

On mine iv cut out the rear valance,parcel shelf and the dodgy bit of floor on the drivers side and removed the webasto roof which has been sold on.
Inside has been hammerited in black,still abit of cutting to do inside but il give it one last coat of hammerite after,just didnt want any rust to come up off the bare panels.
fuel lines,brake lines and power lines are running throught the inside of the car all nice,new and shiny
Will post photos tommorow as its quite late now.

Untill the bootfloor comes i cant hack the old one out or fit the alloy tank
Just need to sort some wiring out,order my fuel pump andabit of welding and then il get onto firing the engine up.

Why did i decide to keep the mini?
because of my mum mainly as iv fought for years to get her to understand! Then I was with my girlfreind in her mini and another mini drove past,flashed and waved, went to a show on sunday too and saw 2 vaux minis. And to really ******* the people off that said i couldnt do this conversion!
Things that you couldnt do driving an ''everyday car'' even if it is a brand new beemer.

Thanks for looking,il have your pics tommorow guys!

Ben

#29 MarkGTT

MarkGTT

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

hmm, is this your next project idea? lol

looks good ben, like the ol colour coding and neatness

haha - not sure i have the skills mate!

#30 BenH

BenH

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

OO cheers for the comments guys,was writing the post above so missed them all,

Im going with a modified pedal box but running a cable clutch supplied by allspeed. to be honest iv heard mixed opinions on this setup and most people have gone for hydraulic set up but as the cableclutch conversion was all supplied with the kit i bought im going to try it first. Its flip fronted so f the engine needs to come out then itl have to come out! perfect oportunity to cam it then too!
to be honest if my shell was mint,and i wasnt bothered about everything being brand new and shiney,itd have been running in the first 2 weeks!

i could of just bunged an mpi tank in,connection the 4 wires to the mini loom and the starter cables and jobs a gooden!

the kit i have has pretty much all the parts needed to get it running.
Well see how it goes once iv fitted my tank and fuel pump aha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users