#31 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:45 AM

So far so good. Did another 2.5-3 hours last night in the garage. I managed to finish off the passenger side deseaming and did the whole drivers side too so that is all the deseaming done, I just need to filler and smooth it all but that will be done once most of the welding is done. I also made the bracing for the back part. I decided to do it differently than most people so instead of just going straight across the back I put in diagonals. The angle between the straight back piece and the angled bits at the side is 45 degrees, as they say triangles are stronger than straight lines. Anyway its all nice and solid now so isn't going anywhere. Next thing to tackle is the plating around the top over the bracing, which I will hopefully get done tonight. So here are the pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

Another couple of hours done but not that much progress. I managed to get most of the factory sound deadening off as I thought any little weight saving thing will be good. I flipped up the shell and attacked the drivers arch with the drill and wire wheel. Not as solid as I would have hoped so I think I will replace the whole top part of the arch. Also there are a couple of other rust patches I will need to cut out and replace.

The wheel arch

Posted Image

More rust. Do I really need that bracket at the bottom of the pic?

Posted Image

Removed sound deadening

Posted Image

#33 miniminded

miniminded

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

Looking good!

I have got a similer project back home. Have not workt on it for a month or so, but it will be picked up soon.

Will be watching your progress!

Greetings

Edited by miniminded, 14 September 2010 - 08:30 PM.

#34 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

miniminded - your trailer looks good. Are you going to chop out the side bins and the seat lip? and how are you going to finish off the front of it?

#35 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:53 PM

A few more hours done now. I have finished removing the sound deadening, removed both bins, removed all the left over metal from the rear seat and bins etc. I've also added in the strengthening to the front of the floor and bracing and cut off the remaining front waste material. I've chopped out the RH closing panel in front of the arch and started chopping out the arch itself, only problem is now the spot weld drill is starting to get a bit blunt so it's slower going. I have chopped out some rusty metal from the floor of the RHS near the subframe mounting and replaced half of it, I just need to finish off the mounting panel itself.
I was trying to keep the spend on this project as low as possible but thought a couple of new panels were in order to help keep things on time. I've ordered a rear boot rail (bottom part with hinge holes), LHS lower boot corner (below light) and RHS outer arch plus the small closing segments in the front bottom of the arches. They are from M-Machine so hopefully, if peoples opinions on here of them are right, they should be ok.
Pics to follow soon.

#36 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:26 AM

Looks like you are making good progress on this. Something that's on my list for after the restoration on mine (if I can face more welding!)

JR

#37 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Here are the latest pics

Scrap metal pile growing!

Posted Image

Rust patch cut out and 50% repaired. I might just cut out the whole subframe mounting panel end and replace it as 1 piece, probably be easier.

Posted Image

Another patch to do

Posted Image

Bracing at the front

Posted Image

Center bracing (not the best welding but I was rushing a bit)

Posted Image

Rust in the guard and closing panel cut out.

Posted Image

#38 miniminded

miniminded

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

miniminded - your trailer looks good. Are you going to chop out the side bins and the seat lip? and how are you going to finish off the front of it?

Thx! I think i leave the sidebins and seat lip/bottom in place. Than weld a plate to the front and sidebins, so it can be used as storige.

Your progres is looking good!

#39 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:53 AM

Not much done in the last week as I've been working and have rejoined the gym (working on my body instead of this 1!)

I have got rid of 75% of the sound deadening still stuck to the seat and floor. Filled in a few little holes where I got a bit heavy handed with the spot weld drill and grinder and smoothed them out, Kurust'd all the exposed metal/surface rust and had a major tidy up of all the bits in the garage as it was getting a bit untidy. Hopefully over the next week I can get the subframe board repaired and when my parts turn up (they ran out of boot hinge panels off the shelf) I can make a start on repairing those parts.

Until next time . . .

#40 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:27 AM

Looking good mate :thumbsup: keep us up dated >_<

#41 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

I've GalvaZinc painted all the bits I Kurust'd and cleaned off the seam sealer under the mudguard I'm replacing, plus made up the replacement plate for the subframe mounting board. I'll grind back & Kurust the other rust patch as it's mostly surface rust. I'm still waiting for my parts to turn up from M-Machine so I can make a start on repairing the boot :D
I will have a few hours tomorrow so will be welding in the plate and tidying up a few more little holes before starting back on the subframe repairs.

#42 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

Been on holiday for a couple of weeks so not a lot has happened. But here's a few pics anyway

The Rusty sill cut off

Posted Image

The rusted ared cut out and now welded in. You cant see it in the pic but there was actually a hole there so lucky I did cut it.

Posted Image

Rust forming behind the subframe mounting panel & nuts

Posted Image

Floor section repaired. I've actually cut away the whole piece to the right of the repair and the rest of the closing panel/segment area including the bracket with the nuts on as I thought it would be better to have fresh metal there. I have now got to fabricate replacement parts and get it all back together before I can start on the other bits, including doing it all again on the other side.

Posted Image

Edited by Brams96, 16 October 2010 - 04:11 PM.

#43 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

Bit slow going at the moment as I had to pack the trailer into the corner of the garage to get the sis-in-laws car in to remove the engine so we can change the gearbox over and it's still there! Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll be able to do a bit more on it, especially as I have all the repair panels now.

#44 DaveJH

DaveJH

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Any progress with your trailer? Looking forward to seeing it finished.

#45 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

I've got the engine back in the sis-in-laws car now so that is all out of the garage. But I now only have 1 week before I'm going to NZ and an empty welding bottle so I wont be doing a lot until I get back. Actually in saying that I probably wont get a lot done for the next few months as the L2B is coming up & I have a few things that need adding to Fern before then, plus she needs the front tracked & aligned before then. I will post any progress on the trailer as & when it happens so dont loose hope!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users