#136 OZMINI

OZMINI

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

Great Project.

I've just read the lot, whilst sitting here shaking my head at every step you take. I was thinking about put my clubman project on here, but I might be a bit embarrassed after seeing how much work you guys put in.

Love your work

Steve
Goulburn
Australia

#137 Wingman77

Wingman77

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:43 AM

Great Project.

I've just read the lot, whilst sitting here shaking my head at every step you take. I was thinking about put my clubman project on here, but I might be a bit embarrassed after seeing how much work you guys put in.

Love your work

Steve
Goulburn
Australia

Hey Steve its Steve from Canberra Small world :)
I think the big difference for these guys is the rust they get, not so much of an issue where we are :lol:, throw it up.

Back on topic, about the awesomeness this thread has, what he said, I wish I had the skills that you guys all seem to have :D

#138 hoody99

hoody99

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

Awesome work big fella just hope the clubby I just bought ain't in the same shape as it's the same age lol keep it up bud looking forward to seeing this finished

#139 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Thats rearly good metal work going on there...........good job keep up the good work...............

#140 jbj

jbj

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

Been a bit quiet on the updates, hope you haven't given up / got bored ;)

#141 Zac

Zac

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

Seriously impressive stuff!

#142 Sam14

Sam14

TMF Mug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

Inspired

Shall keep my eye on this

#143 PaulColeman

PaulColeman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:01 PM

What's the reg of your Mini? I was the first owner of a yellow 1979 Mini Clubman reg no KVV640V which is still out there somewhere but hasn't been on the road for years. Probably lurking in a barn somewhere but I'd like to see what state she's in now after all these years.

Paul.

#144 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

Any updates? How did the wedding go?

#145 Miniryan09

Miniryan09

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:40 AM

Impressive stuff so far! any more updates?

#146 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

Hi! I'm back!

Been a bit quiet on the updates, hope you haven't given up / got bored ;)

jbj: Never!

PaulColeman: This is not your mini. Mine is a 1979 T reg. Good luck finding it though.

Daviewonder: The wedding was most awesome thanks!

So, I haven't touched the mini in what feels like ages. I did however manage to sort out this particular piece of metalwork...

Posted Image

Fortunately, thanks to our very generous parents the wedding didn't entirely bankrupt me, so I got the project rolling again by ordering these bits from M-Machine.

Posted Image

Heritage boot floor skin and m-machine heelboard! For my first non-genuine panel, I was a bit apprehensive as to what the fit would be like, but it appears to be OK. Only minimal fettling to the floor to get a close dry fit.

Posted Image

I whipped it off again to treat the enclosed surfaces with POR15. The mating surfaces on the old panel had suffered very badly from rust, so the more protection in this area the better, I think.

Posted Image

I ordered a boot floor without the battery box and fittings on purpose to save cash, so I set about making up a battery box using measurements from the old (unusable) one. Here is the cardboard model inserted into the new panel to check the dimensions.

Posted Image

When I was happy, I cut the pieces out of steel...

Posted Image

I started folding the metal to form the box, but by this point I was feeling the burn of the first full day of work in the garage for 2 months and decided to go and have a sit down instead!

Posted Image

Next step after this is to get the new heelboard welded in. Then I need to rebuild the lower part of the rear bulkhead where I have drilled it almost to pieces. I should then have 3 solid surfaces (including the newly repaired rear panel) on which to fit the boot floor. Not sure yet whether the wheel arches will be removed before or after the boot floor goes in.

As ever, if anyone spots any glaring errors or disasters about to happen, I'm all ears! :) Feels good to be making progress again!

#147 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

Congratulations pal on the metalwork, like the ring too ! Lovely fabrication work on the battery box, very neat, keep the pics coming.

Graham

#148 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,919 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

Well Rich you've gone and done it now, congrats on the wedding. Just think 25 years time you will be celebrating your silver wedding like i have just done.

Liking the battery box fabbing.

#149 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

Congratulations on the wedding!

Lovely fabrication work as well.

#150 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

Great to see you back Rich. And congratulations. A wife is an amazing blessing! So are children! Sorry not rushing you!
I do love to see your work. You are one of these people that have the touch. There is just an inbuilt skill there. I don't have it. More like inbuilt disaster!

Hugh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users