#16 rusty789

rusty789

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

good boy :thumbsup: but only problem is its expensive to tune the VVC engines ):

I doubt a 1.8 would need any tuning in a mini.. i think the 1.8 standards are 140bhp and the vvc versions are 160bhp..

And after watching them on eBay you can pick them up for between £400-£800 pound..

Or

Get a whole donor car for like a grand..

#17 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

Goggles

Ahhh legend, thanks for that. I had a quick look but failed :thumbsup:

#18 Stevee

Stevee
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: #

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

go to a scrapies might be one kicking around :thumbsup:

#19 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

good boy :) but only problem is its expensive to tune the VVC engines ):

I doubt a 1.8 would need any tuning in a mini.. i think the 1.8 standards are 140bhp and the vvc versions are 160bhp..

And after watching them on eBay you can pick them up for between £400-£800 pound..

Or

Get a whole donor car for like a grand..

As far as im aware, the 1.6's are 110 bhp, the 1.8 solid cams are 120, and two versions of the 1.8 VVC at 143bhp, and 160.

I may be wrong though.

#20 daveeeeee

daveeeeee

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Pretty rusty! You've got a nice head start with that frame etc though - cool buy.

#21 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

even though ur 19 if i was goin to go to all that effort i would get a 2.5 rover kv6 from a rover75/mg zr/zs/landrover freelander cus if you get a standard 1 im pretty sure itl have bout 250hp then u can tune it nd work on it nd stuff nd get loads more nd then give it to your dad for a cuple of years till u can get insurance cus thats wats im doin for my nxt mini xcept not the same engine, mines a secret =D and a kv6 is 24v

Edited by Mini Mad Drakeley, 09 October 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#22 rusty789

rusty789

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

As far as im aware, the 1.6's are 110 bhp, the 1.8 solid cams are 120, and two versions of the 1.8 VVC at 143bhp, and 160.

I may be wrong though.

I think i'm also right in saying that a toyota celica engine fits in aswell.. if so there's a model thats 190..

even though ur 19 if i was goin to go to all that effort i would get a 2.5 rover kv6 from a rover75/mg zr/zs/landrover freelander cus if you get a standard 1 im pretty sure itl have bout 250hp then u can tune it nd work on it nd stuff nd get loads more nd then give it to your dad for a cuple of years till u can get insurance cus thats wats im doin for my nxt mini xcept not the same engine, mines a secret =D and a kv6 is 24v

The problem is with that is the weight, this arguement came up alot with my old car (106), a lot of people did conversions on them, but most kept to the smaller engines, if you add too much weight up front it'll bugger up the handling.. atleast that was how it was with the 106, and im sure it would be a very similar story with the mini, albeit more power i dont think its the best engine for the car.

#23 blakie

blakie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

The idea of using a K-series is that it fits quite nicely under the front of a Mini with a bit of a squeeze. (may be thats what Rover would have done if they kept "Mini") Using a KV6 is be far to big to fit under the front so the only option would be a rear engined RWD I would have thought. Also when did the MG ZR come with the KV6? I must have missed that one..........

Back on track, looks like you have found a good buy. I never got very far with my K series project before I gave up and went back to an A series so good luck!!!!!

I think I have a pair of R56 driveshafts and a gear linkage lying around if there any use to you?

blakie

#24 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

Aye up chap.

have you tackled the wiring yet?

ive just made a start on cutting the bits out of my loom that are not necessary. if you have already done that could i pick your brains on a few things?

#25 rusty789

rusty789

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

Aye up chap.

ive just made a start on cutting the bits out of my loom that are not necessary. if you have already done that could i pick your brains on a few things?

Haven't really got anywhere, YET!

Got a local mini genius coming round saturday, he's going to have a look and see how long he thinks it will take him..

Basically, i think it was going to take me years to get it done on my own, so hopefully this way i'll learn alot then be able to 'properly' work on my other mini..

#26 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

Aye up chap.

Haven't really got anywhere, YET!

Got a local mini genius coming round saturday, he's going to have a look and see how long he thinks it will take him..

Basically, i think it was going to take me years to get it done on my own, so hopefully this way i'll learn alot then be able to 'properly' work on my other mini..

Brian?

#27 rusty789

rusty789

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:33 PM

Of course.. Even after breaking his flywheel tool, he is still willing to help me with my car..

I literally love him.

#28 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

Yea I love that man too. He knows many things. Need to take my engine out and get it to his house so he can help me change the box.

#29 rusty789

rusty789

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

So finally my first bit of real progress I guess, sorted out what panels I needed! The essentials, then added a few more just for good measure..

Extended door steps for both sides, and all new seam covers..

Posted Image

New flitch panel (I actually ordered the wrong side..) :loser:

Posted Image

New heritage A panels (didnt get these confused!) :)

Posted Image

And some new wheels, albeit they wont actaully fit this mini at the moment as its got metro running gear, but the plan is to get the flanges modified to allow me to run normal mini wheels..

Posted Image

No all I have to do is wait until the guy who is helping me with the welding to sell his other mini then the fun can begin! :)

#30 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

And if anybody actually uses the PPE, try these goggles they're awesome!

Posted Image

Posted Image

ive got those goggles there meant to be for work wen its sunny so we cant have our visors down but havnt used them at work ive used them more camping lol while chopping wood as they dont fall off therebrill

Edited by yeti21586, 06 December 2010 - 03:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users