#31 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

As always, top work there Kev, already looking forward to the next update.

#32 G-J

G-J

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

looking great ;D

#33 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

Hows progress Kev? Hope youve got some more news than me, still saving for the next stage here!

#34 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:55 AM

Hows progress Kev? Hope youve got some more news than me, still saving for the next stage here!

Hi Ben,

Things are moving forward so I can’t complain really, I had a couple of weeks where I was in limbo as I was waiting for bits, but that was last month and the bits arrived during the April bank holiday breaks; which I fortunately had off, so managed to get a fair bit done, although it seems to take ages to do what seems like such a simple task!!

Frames all fitted and bolted together, but I think I’ve mentioned that before….. dash trial fitted and pretty much ready for the mould to be taken from it; just the last few bits to final fettle and then that can move towards production.

Pedal box all fitted, steering column fitted although not cut down to size as seats haven’t been completely fitted and also lacking steering wheel and QR boss, but its not a major issue so that can wait. Modified the front frame to take my charge cooler also :techsupport: . Custom radiator mounts made and fan shroud too; just waiting for 2 more brackets and the whole front assemble (cooling) should be done which means I can move onto the ducting, wheel arch liners, fuel filler and bonnet mechanisms.

Accelerator arm manufactured and fitted to pedal box assembly, although I need to trim the physical pedal slightly as it almost hits the arch tubs and will definitely hit once the carpet is in. Accelerator cable fitted from throttle body to front arm and currently working on the cable assembly and guides from the pedal to the said arm; 90% done with this, just need to make a bolt up to clamp the cable up and test the beauty out.

Gear cables and brackets all plumbed in and working (I think) as they should, handbrake cable also in and mounting brackets made and welded in place, although I do need to mod the guide / pull bracket as its currently too big to fit within my centre console and tunnel; which have also been made and ready for CF ones to be made. Handbrake itself is causing issues, but I think I have a resolve for that, just waiting for a few items to arrive so I can confirm it’ll work as intended, so keeping that under the hat until I know for sure ;)

Cable gland also sorted in its basic form so all the cables mentioned above should stay pretty tidy. Engine bulk head also measured up and ready to be made, but once again no rush so I’ll do this whilst the paint is drying.

I’ll post some pictures up when I get a minute or two, but it’s really not a priority of mine, which is bad as I’ll regret the lack of pictures throughout the stages if I don’t. Note to self, make time to take more pictures!!

Money really tight now, and still have some BIG items to buy, luckily most of them do not hold up progress and aren’t needed just yet, but still not looking forward to buying them lol

Still haven’t had the alignment done so the rear arches and skirts are still waiting to be fitted and final trimmings to make to both them and the body, but if the weather stays good and everything sort of goes to plan.... I’m hoping to strip it all down and paint it towards the end of next month! A bit optimistic maybe but you have to set targets lol

Been looking into the engine a fair bit recently as I’ve come across a few pipes and connections and have no idea where they go or what they do / did! Modifying the fuel rail so I have a return line too as the standard Volvo item does not have that feature.

So what stage is yours at now? You saving for the bodywork and paint ?

#35 BlueminiJohn

BlueminiJohn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Haha, in the picture on page 1 of the frame on the pallet, you can just about make out a bit of my volvo frame to the right of it.
Ahh, memories...

#36 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:35 PM

Seats were really bugging me, I have some Recaro’s to fit, but size was a serious issue, luckily during a site visit this week I managed to stumble across the answer:-

Posted Image

I know they height will be an issue and they are quite dusty, but I think they’ll look schweeeet.

Damn! I was gonna use those seats but in purple! I'll have to use my old buckets now.

#37 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

Looks like I need another shell so not feeling too good about the project at the moment!

Sounds like youve been very busy.

Glad its all going well, look forward to seeing some pics if you get any. It sounds like there going to be some interesting bits going on there aswell. Good luck.

#38 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

Damn! I was gonna use those seats but in purple! I'll have to use my old buckets now.

Feel free to use your purple ones as upon returning to site to collect "mine" they had actually gone.... to say I was gutted would be an understatement :D

Looks like I need another shell so not feeling too good about the project at the moment!

Not nice to hear that Ben, if I see or hear of anything I’ll let you know.

Pictures to follow the weekend, was going to do them last weekend, but I just didn’t get around to it.

#39 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

A few snaps (as promised) of what’s been going on and mentioned above; don’t expect any more for a while though lol

Enjoy >_<

As you’ll see the dash has progressed from this:-
Posted Image

To something more…… complete and dash looking
Posted Image

Posted Image

A quicky of the pedal assembly, but this will be changing due to a slight oversight on cable length and throw ratios!!
Posted Image

Good old duct tape and cardboard bulkhead
Posted Image

Also been gapping / profiling the arches; a necessity when you see how they fitted as standard (fronts not good as the wing profile has changed), plus the external hinges sort of make it a must also.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A couple of the centre console and tunnel; still early-ish days as I haven’t finalised the top profile just yet; trying to incorporate a few “extras” here and there without them looking after market!

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here are a few of the car in general
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

what was the dash from???

and tis llook fabulous!!!!!!!

YetI

Edited by yeti21586, 27 May 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#41 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:49 AM

A zeemax kitted zcars mini with starmags. This will be a nice car.

#42 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

what was the dash from???

Its a cut and shut Honda S2000 dash; never seen one in a Mini so thought I'd give it a go :withstupid:

A zeemax kitted zcars mini with starmags. This will be a nice car.

Thanks Alburglar, but not sure about the starmags myself :thumbsup:, everyone that has seen the car loves them! I only got them as I needed to roll the shell around... plus they were a bargain with the tyres. I've got some other wheels in the shed, but not sure how they will go down; they seem to have a love or hate following! so I guess time will tell

#43 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

I vote keep them, they look smart with that kit

#44 rustandoil

rustandoil

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

Not much of a fan of body kits, but this looks lovely, just lovely :thumbsup::)

Colour?

#45 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

Have Z's changed their supply of radiators or are you doing some extra charge cooling with the rad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users