#62 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Local Club: a's of herts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

also whilst dad was with his beloved angle grinder cutting off the sills i got to work on saving the front pannel with filler a sander some rust eater and a pannel straightning techneque my dad taught me
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#63 minimuk

minimuk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Yr Dad loves cutting by the looks of it, just dont cut all out before bracing here and there. ;D Looking good though!

#64 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

nice little project! the wheels look ace! im sure a blasting/coating company will be able to tell you what the best way to do them would be... have you asked in the technical section? another way to check if they are magnesium or not is how light they are... there will be a considerable difference.

got any other plans?

Ed

#65 Jonesey

Jonesey

previously known as paaulz

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Loving this project.

#66 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

hi my plans are for it to be the original colour with a black roof,custom rollcage, custom made aluminium fuel tank with twin exits,motobike silencer,and a tunned 1098 with twin carbs built to produce around 80 bhp and i brought some old type classic bucket seats witch i havent got round to taking a picture of and the wheels arnet the lightest around does this make them magnisum or not , also keeping the four seats and as much as i can i will keep original but it will be stripped out no carpet hedlining and no dash board just the centre binicle and a cheeky rev counter, also making it a cooper s lookalike with the badges, nuberplate housings and sliding windows and external door hinges and the mk1 grill and bonnet but leaving some hints to its mk3 background hopefully this is what it will turn out like ive got a few years so there is no rush its just about the funds now is o because im not having to buy much but when it comes to the paint and engine im guna be skint but it will be done

harry

Edited by minimk1, 02 January 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#67 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

also forgot to mention that i will be using kad 6 pot brakes on the front, and the rear kad disc conversion on the rear with in turn saves weight and increases the stopping power ,plus looks alot better than the old drum brakes .me and my dad are going to purchase a welder soon as when we go to bingley hall soon, we will source alot of pannels from there, cant wait to start welding the car back together as it is one step closer to being completed.

#68 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

hi all sort of update because my dad just broght a mini!!! its a 1962 mk1 mini cooper 997cc twin carb it great condition for dirt cheap ;D ,ive allways loved the mk1 so was kinda gealous when he got it home and cleaned it up but o well at least i can help him restore the girl to her original beauty :kiss: anyway i will edit this later putting the link of the topic on and will explain things in more detail on there

#69 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

its called 1962 mk1 mini cooper resto>>>>>>> http://www.theminifo...i-cooper-resto/ <<<<<<<< :gimme:

#70 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

hi tryed fitting my magnesium minilites on yesterday and the studs arent thick enough do i need thicker ones ? help needed thanks

#71 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,658 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

hi tryed fitting my magnesium minilites on yesterday and the studs arent thick enough do i need thicker ones ? help needed thanks

Are you using the correct nuts? IIRC early Minilites use a nut similar to wolfrace/dunlop wheels which have shank to fill up the extra diameter of the hole, rather than a taper nut .

Hope this helps :)

#72 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

Are you using the correct nuts? IIRC early Minilites use a nut similar to wolfrace/dunlop wheels which have shank to fill up the extra diameter of the hole, rather than a taper nut .

Hope this helps :)

thanks alot this really helped cheers

#73 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:13 AM

Going to bingley soon, going to buy some panels and parts anyone else going up there ?? Love the bingley show I've been two times so far but every time it has got better and better and it's a great source for second hand goodies :)

#74 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

hi not updated this forum in a long time and in that time I have done allot to my little mini and have also brought a MIG welder its a sealey mini MIG 130 gas. since the purchase of the welder i have cracked on with the cutting and welding of panels needed to be replaced on my car and in the process have leant how to weld ( well there not the neatest ever but they do the job) and discovered that i need to convert my welder to a larger gas system to achieve more appealing welds but once smooth and covered with filler the weld does not need to be the prettiest thing ever also me and my dad went half's on this 60 pound engine hoist anyway here are the pictures of practise welds and the inner wing repair also the beast of a hoist.
oh and a picture of me and paddy hop kirk at the mini sport stand in bingley hall also pictures of all my new panels and picked up a genuine Leyland wing for 45 pound and two genuine A panels for 30 !!!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

For my first time ever welding think i did a pretty good job and i am only 14 but i don't think my welds are getting enough gas so i am going to get the conversion kit to a larger gas bottle so my welds are smoother and the small gas bottles cost a bomb and do not last long at all other than that my rear light conversion is good still needs final sanding to make it perfect but the penetration all seems good and i even made my own metal plate to fill the hole at the top of the inner wing and welded that up too more pictures to come soon as ill be cracking on with the welding and oh here is the hoist
Posted Image

#75 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hi Just been thinking about my engine plans and did some research on different ways to tune a 998 at first I thought I would bore it out to a 1098cc but after reading about them, I think I will keep it a 998 to keep the revs nice and high. also it will save me some money that I can use to spend on getting my 998 fast, going for about 70 to 75 bhp and be high revving. Will be using a 12g295 or a type of cooper head and all other parts will be upgraded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users