34 replies to this topic

#16 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:01 AM

how do you mean jammy? what did they think was wrong?

#17 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:07 AM

I'm not sure, I'll see if I can dig out their posts, I think someone was unsure of the trailing arm design and someone else wasn't sure about something else.

*trots off to find post....*

#18 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:18 AM

*back*

Ok, someone was unsure of the top mounts for the coilovers only being one bolt, someone else questioned the rear suspension arms, a couple of other people thought the frame maybe a little weak for road use and most of them thought it was way overpriced.

Looking at this objectively, I don't think any of them have had real experience of a Z-cars kit, but all those who made comments certainly know about subframe design, so take from it what you will.

#19 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:47 AM

ive gotta say 1 thing thoug, with the lsd and the new frond end that puts it up to a woping 6.2 k!!!!! although the kit is of excellent quality i as disapointed that front hubs are not in with the price i bbrought my shell, hubless thinkin they were in the kit.... yet another £500 then! its seems to be getting a little out of hand. what hubs do the cad 4 pot cooversions fit? does anyone know where a reasonable price front kit from?

#20 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:06 AM

KAD 4 pots use mini hubs. But you do need to grind the corner of the pads they use, and I had to shave a bit off the side of a spacer they provided that goes around the caliper to hub bolt. Its not a big deal, but if they made the spacers 0.3mm smaller they'd be fine!

#21 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:18 AM

cheers jammy

#22 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:14 PM

wow, that front subframe looks pure sex...

got a pic of the rear honda mini here somewhere off the internet..

Posted Image

i took that pic at MITP this year :grin:

#23 hayman9644

hayman9644

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:03 PM

I would like to see the pros and cons of the two cars/engines. I can definetly see the advantages of the motorcycle engine but theres no replacement for displacement. I definetly prefer the motorcycle sequential shift.

#24 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

ive gotta say 1 thing thoug, with the lsd and the new frond end that puts it up to a woping 6.2 k!!!!! although the kit is of excellent quality i as disapointed that front hubs are not in with the price i bbrought my shell, hubless thinkin they were in the kit.... yet another £500 then! its seems to be getting a little out of hand. what hubs do the cad 4 pot cooversions fit? does anyone know where  a reasonable price front kit from?

How much was the front end (Tubular subframe) as my kit(£5000) was £5900 with the reverse(£400) and the LSD(£500) How much extra was it?? Bear in mind though that you still gotta buy adjustable bottom arms and tie rods for a standard subframe whereas the new frame comes complete with everything bar the hubs/brakes.
The tubular subframe has different fixings for the radiator so it must be for the honda RWD model as that has a different fuel tank & radiator setup.

You mention £500 for the hubs??? How about Under a £100 if you get a set from e-bay and recondition them yourself and fit new bearing etc???
Front brakes are personal choice!!!! You could use std 2 pots if you are on a budget but metro 4 pots are available for under £100 aswell on e-bay.

Anyway what engine are you running? When is the kit ready for you aswell??
Also where did you get the side scoops/ducts from?

Mark :wales:

#25 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:27 PM

If you go to find a part .co.uk type send a request for early metro vented disk hubs and 4pot calipers. Breakers then e-mail you. I got mine for £100 delivered. I bought bearings for £10 and my local garage fitted em for £20 cash. Z-cars recond. my 4 pots for £50 I think.

#26 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:32 PM

I don't knoe if I like the look of that type r kit. Plus the whole point of bike engines is light weight, mid range, rwd with the added bonus of a 6 speed sequential. Type r looks heavy. Any one know what it weighs?

Surely a Hyabusa is still a better option, although type r wont be chain drive.

#27 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:34 PM

Nearl forgot dean, dont cut you floor to the exact measurements in the DVD as you end up with a gap across the tunnel :) leave about 1/2" extra along the edge and cut it when you have trial fitted the kit :smartass:
Just a tip for you from expierience and if you look closely on the DVD it is also a gap on there car aswell!!!!!!

Like this one........

Attached Files

#28 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:37 PM

I don't knoe if I like the look of that type r kit. Plus the whole point of bike engines is light weight, mid range, rwd with the added bonus of a 6 speed sequential. Type r looks heavy. Any one know what it weighs?

Surely a Hyabusa is still a better option, although type r wont be chain drive.

The type R is a bit more of a friendly road car compared to the Bike engine but it wont be slow by any means :P :P

Ps i think chris will have the type R and the ultima and maybe the monte busa at the autosport show??? :)

#29 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

Where is the autosport show, the NEC?

#30 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members