#16 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

just a small update, ive started to fill the hole in my bootlid because i want a smoothie look but retaining the numberplate recess, im going to use my old bonnet hinges to hinge the boot internally and im going to try and find a sutable modern bonnet catch to use as an internal release.

heres a few pictures.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Adzz1992

Adzz1992

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

Projects goin good there buddy
If i knew ur rear subframe was like that i wld hav thought bit more b4 i got in lol
See you tues dude

#18 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

small update, lots of photos (Y)

finished welding up most of the bootlid except for the hinge holes, gave it a coat of primer once i had taken all the old paint and filler off.
Posted Image
Posted Image

then i move onto the boot floor itself, which was horribly repaired in the past.
i got her upside down on the spit and began by taking off the valane to look under the closing panels
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

AHH RUST!!!!!
Posted Image

as expected both closing panels are pretty rotten but im going to concentrate on one side of the boot at a time to make things a bit easier, im going to have to replace the whole arch on the passenger side as its rotten thought the turret :techsupport:

here are the numerous bad repairs to the boot floor, complete with rivets and screws
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Ratbag

Ratbag

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

Good luck with the build, looking good so far :techsupport: horrible finding all the grot...I know that feeling oh so well!!!

#20 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

just a small update, ive started to fill the hole in my bootlid because i want a smoothie look but retaining the numberplate recess, im going to use my old bonnet hinges to hinge the boot internally and im going to try and find a sutable modern bonnet catch to use as an internal release.

heres a few pictures.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

hey mate just wondering are you using non gas welding???

#21 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:32 PM

hey juggles, no im using the disposable CO2 bottles but ive only been welding a month or so.

#22 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

was just wondering because i was using non gas and its alot harder :) looking good tho... good luck with the project :P

#23 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

the rear subframe mounting on the heelboard have been replaces (no pictures as yet) but im just waiting on new wheel arches then i can get on with replacing those. after that hopefully i can begin to make my new bootfloor and exhaust tunnels :thumbsup:

quick question, has anybody ever had any trouble with a deseamed roof? i dont want to do it if theres going to be water leakage problems

#24 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

nothing new bodywork wise as im still waiting on some panels, but ive just received all my exhaust bits except the manifold so i can start to mock up my new tunnels

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

started work on the rear L/H wheel arch as it has stupid amounts of holes, so ive only manage to get it cut out today.
hopefully i can weld in the new one monday as the weekends going to be pretty hectic with my 18th

got her off the spit and onto an old matress
Posted Image

arch cut out along with some of the floor
Posted Image

one of the heel board repaired
Posted Image

and one of the rear seams that ive started to weld up
Posted Image

#26 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

okay so its been a while, nothing has been finished to be honest but ive got little bits done here and there.

firstt i patched some of the holes and rot on the rear seat base
Posted Image

then i put the new arch into place and lined everything up. this photo is taken after its pretty much in hence only two vice grips
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

next step was to prepare the boot for the new flat floor, which is easier said than done as i found out.
i started by cutting as much of the floor out as possible but leaving the rear seat base.
Posted Image
Posted Image
then i found that the other arch had some rot around the lower lip so i started to patch that up
Posted Image
Posted Image
then i went for some lunch and decided to start on the floors for a bit of a change
repaired the bottom of the flitch with some lovely new metal
Posted Image
Posted Image

then it became apparent that it would be easier to repair the rest of the floor with the car back on the spit so i thought i would weld in some plates on the back of the seams for when i finish deseaming the car.
Posted Image

#27 minisebastian

minisebastian

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

cracking job so far mate im gonna start welding myself in the next month or so just gathering parts at the mo,look forward to the next update :o

#28 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

cheers buddy, yeah its well worth learning to weld, i suggest going to a scrap yard or metal factors and asking for any offcuts then just have a go at welding loads of bits together. thats all i did about 5 weeks ago.

hopefulyl i should have the boot floor welded in over the weekend and then back up on the spit.

#29 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

okay so not alot has gone on with the car but i did splash some money of a new base engine, its a metro 1275 with around 30,000 on the clock

so here it is after we got it home
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
after an hour or so the head was off and all anciliaries were boxed
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
the head is going to be kept and put onto my 1014 once this engine is finished and in the car :P so then i have the choice between a hot small bore or a hot large bore (which may go turbo down the line)

and finally a box of bits from the engine
Posted Image

#30 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

okay so after a lot of messing around and checking with the subframe ive finally got most of the boot floor in place and i have to say it looks awesome
feel free to ask questions about it and i can take more photos if anybody wants some.

just a rear view to show the rough shape
Posted Image

welded in a curved piece to allow the subframe to sit at the right angle
Posted Image
Posted Image

then used some card to get the right curve onto the next piece to bridge the gap
Posted Image
Posted Image

then finally welded in to complete the floor.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

then a few with the old subframe in place
Posted Image
Posted Image

hope you all enjoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users