#31 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

okay so the boot is now pretty much finished i just have to add a few plates underneath the rear seat and then a spreader plate over the subframe mounts just for my peace of mind more than anything else, but anyway here is some photos of the completed boot floor (besides a recess for a fuel tank)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and one of some welding because it ended up so pretty looking :thumbsup:
Posted Image

after college today i managed to get the T-piece made for my exhaust and started welding them up, sorry for the lack of pictures of how i did it but im sure most people can guess.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

Very good! What clean, tidy welding and repairs.

Hugh

#33 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

okay so a bit more got done today as i was off college, firstly i used some of my exhaust wrap and put it round the T-piece i made to pretty it up a bit. looks a lot better IMO.
here it is layed in the car just to show where its going.
Posted Image

now onto the slightly more important bit, the corner of the N/S doorstep was so badly repaired it had rotten away totally, so after much thought i decided that seeing as i needed to replace the flitch panel aswell i decided to brace the shell and cut the whole corner out. i know its a bit mental but its easier for me to fix this was and i can make sure theres no rot left.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
top of the flitch/windscreen surround
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

bit overdue on an update but not a lot has gone on. i was hoping that the weather would be lovely seeing as i had a week off, but no, britain sucks as usual and its rained all week!
so ive managed to get some more small bits done.

got some penals from minispeed,
Posted Image
mmm turbo
Posted Image

okay so the only thing i managed to get some on the shell was to cut out and clean up some more rot ready to weld in the repair sections.
Posted Image

i began work on the engine by stripping the rest down and cleaning up the block ready for it to get machined,
Posted Image
any guesses on the colour scheme of the car?

then after reading on TM i decided to hack away at my subframe in prep for the turbo lump.
first some added strength
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
and finally painted the top and bottom arms
Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

so the nearside flitch is almost complete besides a small plate on the top for the sindscreen surround (pictures tomorrow)
i got the top dash rail in then took the remainder of the offside flitch off so that i can replace that later in the week.
work got a bit boring at that stage so to keep it interesting i went to my pile of bits and picked out the turbo box.
started off by cutting out a nice big hole in the car :w00t:
Posted Image
then after a some more cutting and shaping i managed to get the box to fit nicely
Posted Image
as you can see ive got an angle to give room for the pipework so will have to fab a small plate up to cover that over.
then it was seam welded in
Posted Image
quick coat of primer to protect the welds and i put the scuttle on to check for fit and just because i wanted to really.

next little task of to finish of the N/S flitch, replace the O/S flitch and then start work on my miglia style bulkhead (awaits bungle to teach me about IVA's)

#36 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

woo update!!

right so i started today by cutting out ad much as possible to get me ready for when the metal comes which should be in a few days.
so heres a few photos of whats gone on.
started off by trimming down the inner wings and cutting out the bulkhead
Posted Image
Posted Image
then in between all the rain i started to make come CAD so that i can cut out the metal as soon as i get it
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and then i decided to paint the head just to finish of the tin i had
Posted Image

#37 Adzz1992

Adzz1992

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

Goin well buddy cant wait to see frumpy on the road!!
how much more metal work before fun bits start?

#38 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

Looking good Benjy, that boot floor's pretty smart. What are your plans for the bulkhead?

#39 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

finally decided to comment on this then adam haha, erm to be honest once the front is done there isnt too much else. theres a few small patches around the rear wheel arches and then the valence and closing panels, then its just all the CF bits to go on and the exhaust tunnels :dontgetit:

tupers - the bulkhead is going to be my take on a miglia style set up, it will be full length and hopefully totally level with where the crossmember is. im not using the standard brake and clutch masters as im looking at buying a "top mounted pedal box" similiar to those in demon tweeks which will have bias adjustment front and rear and all 3 reservoirs will be mounted on the inner wing along with the batter and washer bottle

ive been set a lovely deadline for the shell of around 3 weeks as i now have an operation to my knee on the 29th and i would like to get the car primed at least to stop the rust forming while im incapacitated.

#40 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

[b]UPDATE!![/b]

managed to get my new bulkhead made up at college today so i can crack on with that tomorrow and finishes off the drivers side flitch aswell :(
finally the shell is coming to a point where its close to being done! dare i say it but i dont think its going to be much longer now

heres a few of the bulkhead ready to go in
Posted Image
Posted Image

and heres a photo i found a hile back which is near enough what im going for (its not my picture so if the owner wants me to get rid of it then just let me know)
Posted Image

#41 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

so a HUGE part arrive for me today and was waiting in the garden when i got home.

Posted Image
Posted Image

sprayed with etch primer
Posted Image

then a bit of fiddling with my bulkhead box revealed that id measured it up wrong :) ;)
essentially i made it 2 inches too tall because of where i measured it as i bent it, but nothing major i cut 2 inches out and welded it back together. pictures of that tomorrow.

#42 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

sadly this will be my last update for at least 3 months :D unlessi manage to find things to do that dont involve my moving my leg around.
so feel free to keep bumping this thread (Y)
apoligies for the size and amount of photos, i went a bit nuts today

okay so first of the exhaust is finished, all it needs is the tunnel made up and its totally done!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

also got the bulkhead box welded in, i just need to make a joining piece to the turbo box and its finished.
Posted Image

things to do:
front O/S flitch
N/S floor and sills
few various patches
recess the boot floor for fuel tank
modify bootlid and surround for a funky new fuel cap design (thanks for the idea matt)
exhaust tunnels
fibreglass roof
fibreglass front end
hinge kit for front end (reverse style)
mount the cage

and on a less sunny note, ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES AND GOOGLES!!!!!
the one time i didnt this happened!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

The exhaust tips look good Ben, what does you're hand look like under that bandage?

#44 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

The exhaust tips look good Ben, what does you're hand look like under that bandage?

if you can imagine slicing into the back on your thumb (the fatty bit) about 5 times at a 30 degree angle with a stupidly blunt, jagged edge then you pretty much just saw the back of my hand!

#45 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

just a photo for chris.
Posted Image

and now that my op has been cancelled because of this grinder incident i might be able to get some more done on frumpy :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users