22 replies to this topic

#16 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:19 PM

so does the allspeed frame fit in a standard bell nose?

he says on the site that it does but i thought it hasnt been done yet?

#17 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:28 PM

AllSpeed have very recently released the kit that they say will wedge a Vtec engine into a standard round nose front. HOWEVER, I'm not sure whether anyone has figured out where the alternator or radiator goes with this kit, and no, I don't think anyone has finished their Allspeed conversion yet.

R1MM: try this link http://www.16vminicl...orums/index.php

#18 marc

marc

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:29 PM

News update: after spending an hour talking to rob at allspeed and looking at the kit and a fitted up clubman, i have purchased the 1.6 vauxhall subframe, driveshafts, mounts and his own race spec tie bars and bottom arms!

#19 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:34 PM

Congratulations. Everyone seems to be upgrading :rolleyes:

Wish you the best of luck!

Tom :rolleyes:

#20 DaveCoxon

DaveCoxon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 04:29 AM

You'll not go wrong with what you've got!
Lots of info on this site:

http://www.1.6mini.co.uk

I've done the C16SE conversion already - there's quite a lot of emails, and diagrams from me on the above link. (or here: http://www.1.6mini.co.uk/?p=4 - use the >> at the top to advance the pages...)

If you want somet that's a bit more oriented towards a 'daily driver' i definately reccomend you purchase a tranny from the Corsa TD - the 5th in this is like having a 2.7:1 in your mini - ie perfect cruising. The wider ratio's are nicer for 'round town' driving aswell - it's not like the C16SE is short of torque that you'd notice the difference in ratio's either - especially in a 750kg mini!
oh (another tip) - if you do get this box, you need to remove the 'inner' CV's from the C16SE box and fit them into the TD one...

For the future; 150hp is relativly easy to get from these engines with 'traditional' tuning techniques... It really is a good, compact engine.

Just make sure you buy a 'goodun' however. The headgaskets seem to be a weak point; I looked at nearly a half-dozen 'scrapyard' engines that clearly had gasket probs, or looked suspiciously so. I ended up getting an engine from a chap on Migweb who took it out as he was doing the 16v conversion. Only had 50k from new - I paid just over £100 for the engine, trans (ok - which i never used :nugget: ), ECU, loom and a few other bits.

Do a search for C16SE on this site, as i gave someone quite a bit of info a few months ago!

#21 DaveCoxon

DaveCoxon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 04:30 AM

I'd also advise you (to save messing about) to purchase the gearchange mount, and bulkhead box. It really isn't worth the hassle of making your own! :grin:

#22 marc

marc

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:08 PM

I'd also advise you (to save messing about) to purchase the gearchange mount, and bulkhead box. It really isn't worth the hassle of making your own! :grin:

Doh! Didnt order that as i thought i'd make my own, suppose it is a lot easier and there not expensive.

I went out in robs 1.6 round nose that had the td box in, did drive really nice, cruising at 70mph is about 3000rpm. Thanks for the advise, just about everything that rob said as well. I'll have a look round that site, £100 for engine etc is a bargain.

Cant wait to get started on it.

Thanks.

#23 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:38 PM

Have you got a projected completion date (god I sound like my manager!) on this?!

Would be great to have another 16 valver on the BH2N run! Thats if I begin to get my finger out! At this rate 2 years will pass before mines near completion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users