Photo

Looking To Launch A Blow Through Supercharger Kit

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Gauging demand for a blow through kit (134 member(s) have cast votes)

If the option of a blow through or suck through supercarger kit was available, which one would you choose?

1. Suck through Kit (17 votes [12.69%])

Percentage of vote: 12.69%

2. Blow through kit (117 votes [87.31%])

Percentage of vote: 87.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

don't forget to register as a trader if your going to start selling on TMF :techsupport:

#17 MiniPower1275

MiniPower1275

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: MSCN

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Are there any body changes needed?

#18 oliver122

oliver122

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

i was wondering the same , as i have seen the bonnet altered on the mini with the blow through , but i wouldn't want to change the looks of a mini to that extent , but more than likely want to still run an intercooler

#19 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

i was wondering the same , as i have seen the bonnet altered on the mini with the blow through , but i wouldn't want to change the looks of a mini to that extent , but more than likely want to still run an intercooler

The bulge on my car was from the suck through kit i had fitted. It was the Vmax weber kit which meant the weber stuck out through the bonnet. We are in the process of checking clearance of our kit to make sure it fits under a standard round nose. If there are to be any body mods, there may need to be a slither of metal cut from the slam panel. But as i said the development is on going so we will be in the position to advise on this by the time we are at Bingley.

#20 mini.cooper998

mini.cooper998

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

johny i am going down this route myself and wouldnt mind buying a set of pulleys of you. i would also buy the alternator mounting mechanism that you have, i already have the same small alternator so would just purchase the brackets and coupling to the water pump housing
Andy

Pm me with prices if you are going to do it as parts

#21 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

johny i am going down this route myself and wouldnt mind buying a set of pulleys of you. i would also buy the alternator mounting mechanism that you have, i already have the same small alternator so would just purchase the brackets and coupling to the water pump housing
Andy

Pm me with prices if you are going to do it as parts

Hi Andy.
Every part of the kit will be available to purchase separately as we are anticipating that people that have a suck through setup will look to switch to blow through, so not every component of our kit will be required.

We are still going through final design and checking the drawings of all parts before running our first batch at the end of the week, all being well. So until we are happy with the final design, we are not in the position to give any prices on parts quite yet but will have prices available by the time we show the kit at Bingley. So far, we think there will be three different kits to choose from to help cater for a variety of customers requirements.

#22 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

Thanks to everyone thats taken the time to vote so far. I would be very interested in hearing from people that have voted for suck through to help us get the blow through kit to be the prefered choice when looking to supercharge the A Series. After all, this thread was started principally to form part of our market research and we want to use it to complete the kit to meet customer expectations and ensure we have not overlooked anything in delivering a quality product, be the market leader in our field and provide ongoing customer support.

So tell us what was the deciding factor for choosing suck through was. Does our kit seem too complex? Is it the fact that there are not that many blow throughs around so you haven't had the opportunity to compare the two variations? Is it that you think the blow through option might be costly? Is it that you think there might be extensive body mods required to fit the blow through kit?

We need to know what peoples concerns are to help us direct promotion and marketing of the new kit to reassure customers that it is simple to fit.

Feel free to PM me if you would rather not add to the thread.

Thanks again everyone

Edited by johnnysti, 09 January 2011 - 09:21 AM.

#23 mini.cooper998

mini.cooper998

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

looking forward too seeing you at bingley, will be spending plenty of time looking this one over.

#24 Scholes2012

Scholes2012

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local Club: NONE

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Looks like a very well thought out kit to start with, I have not had a Turbo or Super charged car but you seem to have overcome some of the issue's people have had with suck through kits (Limited power potential) and extensive body mod's (Bulkhead cutting) with the Turbo route. I think that if you can supply a quality kit at the right price this would do very well. Good luck getting this off the ground.

#25 mini.cooper998

mini.cooper998

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

i agree with scholes, if you can produce a kit that fits without modification you should be on a winner.

alot of people are put of turbo charging because there are no kits and welding is required.

think thats why so many went suck through as kits are available and fittable even to the partially skilled

hope it works out for you

Andy

#26 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

Looks like a very well thought out kit to start with, I have not had a Turbo or Super charged car but you seem to have overcome some of the issue's people have had with suck through kits (Limited power potential) and extensive body mod's (Bulkhead cutting) with the Turbo route. I think that if you can supply a quality kit at the right price this would do very well. Good luck getting this off the ground.

i agree with scholes, if you can produce a kit that fits without modification you should be on a winner.

alot of people are put of turbo charging because there are no kits and welding is required.

think thats why so many went suck through as kits are available and fittable even to the partially skilled

hope it works out for you

Andy

Thanks guys. Thats what we are hoping for, a kit easy enough to install that anyone with even the smallest amount mechanical knowledge will be able to install.

I couldn't sleep last night with all the ideas that kept coming. Had to get up and write them all down and even turned pro at bowling on the Wii!!! lol All the creative juices were flowing!
Just got to get them all done and ready to show by the time Bingley comes around.

We are also planning to have a half block with the kit fitted to it on display so people can take a better look around the product.

The aim is to bring the cost of the basic kit in at the same rate as the suck through but as stated previously, we will have a better idea once the first batch is made this month with the intention to give a definitive price for Bingley. There are plans to try and offer the kits anodised in a range of colours and for people looking to try and keep weight down, offer a titanium version of the kit.
But this is an ongoing development and new ideas are evolving all the time so the kit you see now may well not be the same as the kit in twelve months time as we are always looking to improve and stay ahead of the game.

#27 afoggo

afoggo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

i just watched your videos on youtube, love the noise of the car sounds awesome!

would be interested in the kit so long as there are very minor to no body mods needed done to the car, not to keen on that.

but youve been putting a lot of thinking and effort into this i hope it works out well :shifty:

#28 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

quite interested in this too, been looking at the VMAX kit lately so if you come in at a price very close to that i would probably go for your kit.

#29 spiyda

spiyda

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: 16 valve mini club

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

I've recently built an M45 setup in a mini, albeit on a G13b suzuki engine...
I cast several of the parts as fabricated components look naff

I would recommend having the options of

a) a choice between no intercooling air/air and water/air

b) a hefty bypass on plenum vacuum state.. otherwise the M45 can cook eggs

c) supplying replacement end plate for the M45 without the water pump take off

ps a video of the supercharged suzuki engined mini here

Edited by spiyda, 10 January 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#30 almichie

almichie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

This could be a very good seller, Rover didn't build a blow through (turbo) setup for nout.

With blow through you get better throttle responce, better starting and idle, less chance of carb icing, the charger stays cooler and lasts longer, you can run an intercooler meaning more boost...

I hated my suck through charger setup, the kit was poorly thought out and i had sooooo many issues with it, in the end i got rid of it. If there was a blow through kit - i may be tempted into going back down the charger route...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users