#1 Spud_133

Spud_133

mmm potato and cheese....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:50 AM

Hi. I was just wondering whether anybody had done a 2ltr pinto conversion into a mini? I have been curious about this and wondered if anybody has done this? My plan would be to run it with a type 9 gearbox, custom prop shaft and and a moggy minor rear axle. I am yet to do any measurements but was curious to
see if if has been done before.
Cheers, Spud

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

Would be a lot of work for a boat anchor of an engine. Pintos are fine in Fords but not the thing to do to a Mini especially when there are the likes of type r engines, R1's etc that give you a lot of horsepower without the need to modify the engine plus in the case of the R1 conversion no bodywork mods. Oh and lighter by a hell of a lot.

I like the Pinto but not in a Mini but somebody will have no doubt done one.

#3 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, as above, it's too big, too heavy, too old and doesn't produce enough power!

Go with a nice modern lump :techsupport:

#4 Spud_133

Spud_133

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

Just though it would be easy as we've got a lot of pintos sitting around as I race sierras with pintos but not to worry. Next idea... Hmmm

#5 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hi. I was just wondering whether anybody had done a 2ltr pinto conversion into a mini? I have been curious about this and wondered if anybody has done this? My plan would be to run it with a type 9 gearbox, custom prop shaft and and a moggy minor rear axle. I am yet to do any measurements but was curious to
see if if has been done before.
Cheers, Spud

Minor axle would be a bad choice as they are so weak. If you want to keep a live rear axle then a chevvy axle cut down is better. For an independant rear axle, the mx5 has a useful frame to be modified
The ford pinto is a tall engine so would be a struggle to fit under a mini front, k series or ford zetec unit might be better is they are not so tall

#6 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

why not go for a RWD A SERIES engine like the mg/austin etc??.... i like the old ford engines but the 1600 is a much better engine and lighter too...... there is also a reason why hotrods are built with jag rear axle/suspension setups, they can handle the power and plentyfull....

i think people overrate the power potential and reliability of the more modern conversions..... NOT EVERYONE IS LOOKING FOR THE SAME RESULTS FROM THEIR CONVERSIONS.....

#7 Spud_133

Spud_133

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

I personally love RWD and it cannot be beaten in my opinion. I like the sound of an a seires rwd

#8 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

as far as i know there are the b series variants too but am unsure of the differences but i think their fairly similar... maybe someone else here might be able to make it clearer because it could be an interesting build....

#9 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

i think people overrate the power potential and reliability of the more modern conversions..... NOT EVERYONE IS LOOKING FOR THE SAME RESULTS FROM THEIR CONVERSIONS.....

Only suggested the ford or rover options as he already considered a ford engine, both these engines have been successfully used on the type 9 gear boxes

#10 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

Only suggested the ford or rover options as he already considered a ford engine, both these engines have been successfully used on the type 9 gear boxes

i know and i didn't mean it like that mate. i agree with your sujestions as they work well with the type 9 as does the vauxhall redtop, all are worth considering but what i ment was that all the power and reliability isn't everything if thats not what you want in your conversion and was aimed at the people who say why not stick with the more modern/reliable/overdone/non origional honda/vauxhall/bike etc conversions.... :techsupport:

#11 Spud_133

Spud_133

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

2lt zetec sounds like an idea. Then a 5speed gearbox. Lovely jubbly

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Or get a MANX gearbox which is a converted mini gearbox which fits onto the bottom of the x-flow/lotus twincam engine so the pinto may fit aswell...

#13 project mini chris

project mini chris

have a break, have a...

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Designer Register

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

why not even try the BOB cossie lump? thats been done before?
We run 2 pinto powered capri's and are prone to many ignition and carb propblems, to fit to a mini aswell you would have to put in hard graft to fit the prop tunnel.
Keep us updated on what you decide to do :teehee:

#14 Spud_133

Spud_133

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

I've got 'til august to decide because I should be getting some money for my 18th. I've seen people carb a zetec so that could be an option if I go with the zetec. Or leave it on injection and a remap. Hmmmm

#15 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

I was planning something similar and it's still there as a possible future plan. I like Pintos but as people have said they are very tall and I don't think it would fit under the bonnet with any decent ground clearance for the sump - they don't tend to make mega power but the torque is awesome which makes for a really nice road engine (they can make a Sierra hustle so in a lighter car they are never going to be a slouch).

Zetec is a relatively easy fit onto the Type-9 box as is a CVH. Vauxhall XE is pretty easy too but the bell-housing can be pricey which can be the same for the K-Series. I've a couple of friends with A-Series on the end of Type-9 boxes too if you want to keep a nod in the direction of originality - I was leaning towards this option with a BMW K100 head.

BOB is a bit of a pain from a management point of view as their ECU's all ran PATS in a form that is very difficult to bypass. Most people run them on BOA management (or just use a BOA to start with). Both give you in the region of 200 gee-gees out of the box but are serious boat-anchors.

For the rear axle I was planning to go independant with a Sierra diff mounted in a cage which formed a replacement rear subframe. Using a modified version of the original Mini rear subframe's front cross-member I would make a pair of replacement radius arms which mount on the same pivot points but replicating the Sierra trailing arms so the hubs and brakes mount to uprights on the arms whilst allowing the driveshaft to pass above them. Marlin did similar I believe. Coilovers to the original upper Mini shock mounts (suitably re-inforced) would mean the rear suspension geometry hasn't been messed with from the tried and tested stuff.

The part I hadn't worked all the way through yet is the steering rack as the current location would have it passing through the bell-housing. It would have to be under the engine as per most RWD cars so again the steering arms to the hubs would be different.

Iain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users