28 replies to this topic

#16 simonwalters1

simonwalters1

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

with the gearing i was gonna just pick up a honda gearbox, would that not do it? ill defeantly have a loook into fd, please if anyone has helpful info fire away im gonna need help lol

#17 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

the diesel gearbox would give you low ratios in order to run the 10's but even then there too high i think. Also with this box, it means you can run lower rpm on motorway crusing. The box will also take much more abuse than a petrol box considering the torque the diesels give out compared to the petrols.

but yeah get yourself onto this forum http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/ and there will be a numerous threads about gear ratios and stuff, and alot more vtec builds to give you the insperation and ideas for yours :D

#18 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

Depends what engine you want, there's no diesel boxes for the B series engine so you'll have to look into getting an FD to swap.

#19 simonwalters1

simonwalters1

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:56 AM

Depends what engine you want, there's no diesel boxes for the B series engine so you'll have to look into getting an FD to swap.

it will be a b16

#20 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

it will be a b16

B16/B18 engine and gearboxes are all interchangeable so no worries there, I think the JDM B18 type-r has a taller FD ratio though of around 4.7 whereas the normal type-r has the 4.4 so best bet get a box with the 'normal' 4.2 honda FD as found on the usual 1.6 boxes

With your B16 engine and box just get the Watsons final drive, if you get a new ratio custom made from somewhere else which aint on there shelf it will cost you (alot) unless you can get a group buy but that can be alot of hassle, the 3.4 Watsons FD is proven to work with 12" steel wheels and makes first and second usable, trust me I know first hand :thumbsup:

I reckon it would also work fine with 10" wheels but I don't know anyone that has used it with a 10" wheel (yet ;) ) but can't see a problem with first or second, it'll spin in first yes but thats what throttle control is about, a bog standard mini will spin in first.......

Edit: Correcting info on gear ratios

Edited by Kam, 05 February 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#21 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

Kam....

Ive got some steelies cluttering up my loft if you want some more :-

#22 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

Cheers mate but I think the eight I got here is enough for one car ;)

#23 bakker110

bakker110

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

There was a cabrio type thing in a mini mag a few months ago that ran on those gianni potenza wheels that had a vtech in i'm sure of it.

#24 bakker110

bakker110

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

I was right issue 176 mini magazine. Title sunshine machines page 46-51 says he sourced a rare 2.95:1 ratio that works with 10 inch wheels.

#25 MinBinPat

MinBinPat

Passed Test

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hi all,

Wow that sounds really interesting 2.95:1 would be perfect for 10" I reckon. Did you find out any more about it?

MinBinPat...

Edited by MinBinPat, 16 November 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#26 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi all,

Wow that sounds really interesting 2.95:1 would be perfect for 10" I reckon. Did you find out any more about it?

MinBinPat...

Dude that post was like 2 years old!

#27 MinBinPat

MinBinPat

Passed Test

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Does anyone have experience using the fiesta brake conversion 7.9 single discs with servo on a honda vtec mini? might make a good budget brake for 10" wheels.

#28 MinBinPat

MinBinPat

Passed Test

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Sleepy Stu...that's why I asked the question, 2 years is quite a while to find out about it dont you think.

#29 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Sleepy Stu...that's why I asked the question, 2 years is quite a while to find out about it dont you think.

What do you need to find out about it, the question has been answered? Andy answered it by reading out what was in the mag - that the guy had sourced a rare 2.95 diff?

Heres a list of the gear ratios on D series engines (D not B series) finding a 2.95 on the net is easy, finding it in the real world is a tad more difficult

D series ratios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users