#16 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Local Club: AutoJungle

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

Would appreciate some feedback... slightly different situation.

I rent a garage which is away from people and animals so neighbours are no issue. I have sprayed with celly before, but as I didnt keep the car its hard to see how well the paint lasted, I did find it was easy to spray and a few runs that I found were easy to get rid of...

I see you can buy non air fed 2k filter masks, the general concesus seems to be they are okay but only have a really short working life... which would be fine for spraying 1 car... garage is a bit of a state, but I could easily seal it to ensure dust ect. is kept to a minimum...

My car will also be a fair weather only car, what would you use. And just out of interest how long do the fumes hang around with 2k... just intrigued more than anything else...

I have asked the question on facebook groups, but seem to find alot of people only recommend using 2k... Thoughts please :)

#17 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:27 PM

I used 2k gloss on my project and actually found the smell didn't carry anywhere near as bad as cellulose, I did use an airfed mask and wouldn't spray it without one. 2k primer is better high build than cellulose but I also found high build epoxy very good and that needs only a filter mask. 2 coats of gloss and the jobs finished and a very good gloss, only problem I had was as it dries slower and goes on thicker the dust is more of a problem and once it's hard the flatting and polishing is much more difficult than cellulose. A nice compromise for home use would be epoxy primer followed by solvent basecoat and upol 1k smart clear. This polishes very easily but won't be as hard wearing as 2k. If you seal the garage to prevent dust the fumes will take ages to clear so you will need filtered air blown in and filter the air going out remembering to use an explosion proof fan.
To help I also only use a devilbiss sri pro touch up gun as over spray is far less but fan coverage is still a good 150mm so with a 50% overlap a mini is not difficult to paint.

#18 simply

simply

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:31 PM

2K is a realy harmfull paint so must be used with caution as for sealing the garage is the worst thing to do as the fumes are not good, 

you are better having doors and any windows open providing no wind, also do not spray on a damp day as this can cause a lot of 

problems. I have myself on a good dry day painted outside with 2k and had good out of the gun finnishes, provided there are not a lot 

flies about.I'M not saying this is the correct way to do it but with out a air fed mask a lot safer. Maybe some help here

simplynewbies.com

ps/ I would bbe happy to give you some advice.

#19 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Local Club: AutoJungle

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for your advice, I think its best in this case to stick with the slightly more human friendly paint, I was very happy with the finish of the cellulose paint, and although longevity is untested in my case, I think I would prefer to respray in a few years over causing injury or death to me or those around.. I think long term it may be nice to have it sprayed proffesionally if required.

#20 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:03 PM

If your garage is far enough away that neighbours are not an issue then I wouldn't worry about it, when I paint my next car I will still use 2k. I will however build a plastic tent type booth inside the garage and put a filtered extraction on it, this will help me inside and reduce dust and prevent over spray being an issue to others. The danger is the overspray and paint most whilst spraying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users