65 replies to this topic

#1 Jayme 1275

Jayme 1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hi guy's finished restoring my mini their just before Christmas and personally think mini's look the b@#*s slammed

I want to hear from my fellow mini entusiasts who have done this maybe a picture of your car and a small summary of problems you have encountered or any damage this has caused to your arches

Another thing is that I dont intend to tub my arches and am running 13 inch wheels and sportspack's which means I won't be running stupidly low as I still want the thing drivable and be able to get full steering lock without wheel's rubbing

Thanks jayme

#2 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Local Club: mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

Alright jayme! Man to be honest if u want it slammed go coilovers but trust me if u have it slammed the handling is awfull and the ride would shake the teeth outa ya and the exhaust runs way to low and scraps everywr u go! U would need to cut the arches more to be safe but im pretty sure sportpacks arches were cut at the factory, i run the gaz coilovers at the front and hilos at the back

Edited by Cian 'the pain' MPI, 05 March 2011 - 04:08 PM.

#3 crazycoleman118

crazycoleman118

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

I run mine preety low (not as low as it has been or will be though) my only issue at the moment is clearence between the arch..... I've only caught the exhaust on huge speedbumps when carrying passengers other then that its fine :)

Edited by crazycoleman118, 05 March 2011 - 04:24 PM.

#4 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

Running it lowered will not be a problem, a bit harsh as most people tend to leave the lowering to gravity, and let the cones collapse. Also some scrapage can occur if you have a wild country lane or speed bumps.
As long as there is clearance between the bumpstops and the top arm (i think its 1 1/4") you shouldn't have any issues handling. Obviously you will need to cut away part of the wings/front panel and maybe move the wheel arch to allow clearance for the wheel. Hilo's are the easiest way to lower the mini on standard suspension, but having the cones machined down is another way although this can take some guesswork and time getting it right.
Coil overs are another option, the standard cones will need removing to make these work. The spring poundage and lengths will need to be fine tuned and can give a very uncomfortable ride (both ends soggy/bottoming out a lot or crashing over bumps) Adjustable dampers combined with these can be set up to fine tune them to your needs or mask the problems in some cases.

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

I don't think the term 'slammed' is appropriate with sports pack arches and they have not been tubbed. I ran mine low, to the point you could only just get your fingers between the tyre and the arch. It scrubbed like a good un on corners and wore away the plastic of the sports pack arches.

I have just finnished tubbing the rear arches and cut the sportspack arch to allow more bump travel, nearly 2 1/2" more, fitted bump stops, fitted braded brake hoses from wheel cylinder to subframe tucked under the radious arm and fitted a rear anti roll bar, so I can now actually slam it. Next problem is exhaust to ground clearance :thumbsup:

#6 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

you will find us mini owners a bit more grown up than the VW ones

in the VW world they just can't see to get beyond slamming their car's and making a car undrivable

where as in mini land we lower our car just enough to help handling but don't run them on the floor in a slammed look

#7 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Well said bungle well said!

#8 DaveVader

DaveVader

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

you will find us mini owners a bit more grown up than the VW ones

in the VW world they just can't see to get beyond slamming their car's and making a car undrivable

where as in mini land we lower our car just enough to help handling but don't run them on the floor in a slammed look

Sod off, I'm as childish as any of the VW lot and got serious slamming plans for the future. Like nothing you've seen before!

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

i drive a VW i have seen it all before

VW's stuck on speed ramps

VW's beached in fields

VW's stuck on curbs

VW's with sparks coming off their floor plans

VW's that can't change a wheel as it sits too far up in the arch

VW's that have worn through their front beam and the suspension has broken

your going to have to try hard to be more stupid than them

#10 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

I used to drive a slammed mark 3 golf as my daily drive and everything you said happened to me! A low height is good but when you slamm it everything else is compromised handling etc!

#11 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

I thought it was difficult to make a mk3 golf worse whilst in standard form.

#12 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

LMAO!!!!! it beat walking lol will never go down that route again for a daily drive

#13 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

I have to admit, the VW lot do definatly lower their cars more. A friend of mine has 'slammed' every single one hes had, all with awfull effects on handling, reliability and ride quality.

The way most VW are though means they can go lower, as they have wheels sitting inside, very high wheel arches means they can get alot lower.

The tyres of a mini will hit the arches before your halfway to going as low as a VW without body modifications.

EDIT: this is about as low as I could get mine, but it scrubbed too much.
Posted Image

I had it that low again with my gaz shocks, but they kept bottoming out. Raised up again now

Edited by mini_mad69, 05 March 2011 - 07:30 PM.

#14 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

85TeGq2cUBE&feature=player_embedded

KGB0G-quZFs&feature=player_embedded#at=20

#15 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

Mmmm first time i have seen a Hovercraft masquerading as a VW bus :thumbsup: :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users