33 replies to this topic

#16 TfcIan

TfcIan

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

Out of all my younger friends and ones who have now passed the magic premium reducing 25, only one of them has ever claimed on his insurance and that wasnt even deemed his fault so his insurance didnt have to pay out. The insurance companies make everyone believe that every young driver will have an accident costing them thousands. This is simply not true

Too true. Are they trying to tell me that I'm more likely to have an accident than, for example, my 80 year old grandad who hates driving at night, doesn't like driving on motorways and according to both him and my nan, other road users come 'whizzing' past. I passed my test under 6 months ago with 1 minor, my grandad not long before that had to go to one of those sessions they do after you've been caught speeding (accidental... but surely that's even worse if you don't realise you are over the limit?). He has years more experience but I've been taught to drive the way a car is supposed to be driven today, not how you were taught decades ago. Because of my age, my reactions will be a lot better than his. And, even if he's not involved in an accident, he's more likely to be the cause of others having accidents - not too long ago he pulled out from a t-junction on a dual carriageway and turned left and made a u-turn at the roundabout, rather than go across to the central reservation and turn right because he doesn't like doing that. A van had to swerve to miss them as soon as he pulled out, apparently, it 'came out of nowhere.'

I can see the reasoning for a new driver to have an accident - especially with mates in the car - but not all of us are bad drivers. I think a fair system would be to charge us a high amount, but, if we prove in that first year we are good drivers by having no claims, to refund some of the money they overcharged us for insurance and make it cheaper for the next year. It wouldn't punish new, safe drivers as much as the system which is in place at the moment does.

#17 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:18 AM

just called peter james, 998cc, mods are alloy wheels, bucket seats and uprated brakes. They wouldnt give me a quote to my age and modifications.

#18 samsfern

samsfern

• Members
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

adrian flux just quoted me 960 for a 998, with alloy wheels, uprated brakes, bucket seats. And ill build up a no claims bonus with them, so im just going to phone footman james and get my claim free bit of paper and tell them to stick it.

#19 samsfern

samsfern

• Members
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:46 PM

insurance expires friday, so im searching around, how come aviva can insure me for £561 with the same mods ???

#20 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

im going with peter james 86 city e, full respray, 1275 mg metro, hi-los, gaz shocks, wellers, interior, fg panels and so on £1059 fully comp

#21 samsfern

samsfern

• Members
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

peter james didnt want to know when i answered yes to modifications.

asda quoted £875

Edited by samsfern, 03 April 2011 - 01:08 PM.

#22 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

Don't ever renew your insurance. They offer the best prices to new customers, even a new policy with the same company will be cheaper!

Tescos were significantly cheaper this time round for me - even the same policies I was offered from other brokers.

#23 mattw92

mattw92

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

im running a standard mayfair1.3 for £1300 a year with footman james( fully comp). my first car im 18 and i specified 4500 miles a year lol:

i just finished my fuel test i managed 38 MPG :thumbsup:

only thing they wont insure me with is bucket seats but i know for a slight big more i canadd wide wheels and role cage. but i want my beast to be standard

#24 RobFox

RobFox

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:08 PM

Last year after I passed my test the best quote I got was Adrian Flux with £2300

Since my insurance will be in a month or two I have started checking around again accounting for 1 year NCB. Even just doing the comparison websites I have been getting quotes of £1000 for a 1.3i Cooper.

So im hoping my renewal with Adrian Flux would be lower and if I put my TMF+ membership aswell I could be looking at much cheaper :)

#25 plantfitterRich

plantfitterRich

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: not sure yet!

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

Iv just done my insurance with HIC. 1293 turbo. All mods declared, wheels,interior,brakes,etc. Declared accident and my no claims couldn't be mirrored because of the accident. Premium was £203! I asked them to double check it as it sounds too good. Cam back saying £203! I was very happy to say the least!

#26 mattw92

mattw92

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

Last year after I passed my test the best quote I got was Adrian Flux with £2300

Since my insurance will be in a month or two I have started checking around again accounting for 1 year NCB. Even just doing the comparison websites I have been getting quotes of £1000 for a 1.3i Cooper.

So im hoping my renewal with Adrian Flux would be lower and if I put my TMF+ membership aswell I could be looking at much cheaper :)

hey erm whats TMF+ ?

thanks

matt

#27 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

Don't ever renew your insurance. They offer the best prices to new customers, even a new policy with the same company will be cheaper!

Tescos were significantly cheaper this time round for me - even the same policies I was offered from other brokers.

Slightly wrong, My renewal was £10 cheaper than my first year with Peter James :) I actually checked on a new policy with them first and it came out slightly more than last year, so i just said i'd take out the renewal instead :)

OMG, maybe they are an insurance company who looks after their existing policy holders.

#28 RobFox

RobFox

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

hey erm whats TMF+ ?

thanks

matt

If you become a TMF+ member on here, ( I think only £10 a year ) then you can get discount off numerous companies, not just insurance.

For Adrian Flux I think you get 15% off when you give them your account number :)

#29 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

just got a quote for my renewal for my beasty, with more modifications added it still managed to fall to £519 from £630 last years
valued at £10k due to modifications...soooo just need to scrape the cash

#30 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:07 PM

hey erm whats TMF+ ?

thanks

matt

If you become a TMF+ member on here, ( I think only £10 a year ) then you can get discount off numerous companies, not just insurance.

For Adrian Flux I think you get 15% off when you give them your account number :genius:

Better still...only £5

To join you need a paypal account. Go to "My Controls" then under "Options" click on "Purchase Paid Subscriptions" and follow the instructions. You also get loads of discounts on parts etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users