#1 faithy5690

faithy5690

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

I just came back from going to get lunch from work and on the way back my run flat light came on. I stopped and got out of the car but all the tyres seemed fine so i drove carefully back to work. I got out the car and the tyres still seemed ok. Unless it is a slow puncture is there any other explanation that the light came on or has anyone else had this problem before?? I am going to top up the pressure when i finish work to see if that helps.
I have a 2006 mini one by the way.

thanks. much appreciated

faith

#2 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

If they are run flats they will look completely normal even if one is flat (in this case meaning no air not physically flat). You need to check them to make sure one isn't completely empty of air or it will be damaging the tyre driving with it like so, a decent garage should be able to spray it with some fairy liquidy water to look for leaks and tell you if it is a slow puncture or a fast one.

Basically get it checked out asap or you could risk damaging the tyre and needing a new one which could be avoided by getting it checked!

Edited by C4NN0N, 07 April 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#3 Andywade

Andywade

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

Runflats will only look slightly different if they have a puncture - go to a petrol station and check the preassures using the air thingy.
You should be ok to drive for about 50 miles on runflats - and if it is just a small hole they can repair the damage (unless the damage is to the sidewall) in which case they will have to scrap the tyre.

If you haven't got any punctures the sensor might be broken.

The sensor works by measuring the speed differential between the two wheels - if one is going faster than the other one due to having a reduced circumference it means the tire has deflated

You may get better answers from people with experience with runflats as this forum is mostly for the classic Mini and not the modern BMW Built car

try http://www.mini2.com/

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

My MINI runflat light occasionally comes on without my having a puncture, either a tyre needs a little air added through natural losses or sometimes if a wheel spins in the wet or on ice it seems to fool the system and so I just cancel the light after checking.

#5 faithy5690

faithy5690

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, i took it to garage to check the pressure and one of the rear tyres was only at 11 pressure where as it should be around 30 so it is definately that tyre. I filled it up and reset the run flat light.
Still unsure whether or not it is a puncture though, i have looked all round tyre and no signs :thumbsup:/ so later i am going back to garage to see if the pressure has gone down again (if thelight does not come back on in the meantime!)
keep you posted.

#6 Andywade

Andywade

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, i took it to garage to check the pressure and one of the rear tyres was only at 11 pressure where as it should be around 30 so it is definately that tyre. I filled it up and reset the run flat light.
Still unsure whether or not it is a puncture though, i have looked all round tyre and no signs :thumbsup:/ so later i am going back to garage to see if the pressure has gone down again (if thelight does not come back on in the meantime!)
keep you posted.

11 psi is very low! you probably do have a slow puncture. see what level it stays at in 24 hrs - it shouldn't lose any pressure in just one day.

#7 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

Slosh a load of soapy water over the whole tyre/wheel, you will see bubbles forming where a leak or puncture is.

#8 faithy5690

faithy5690

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

keep you posted.

11 psi is very low! you probably do have a slow puncture. see what level it stays at in 24 hrs - it shouldn't lose any pressure in just one day.

That's what i thought as well, it's hard to believe that it would drop so much in one day without a puncture. I am going to test it later and if i has gone fown again then i will get it seen to asap.

keep you posted

#9 faithy5690

faithy5690

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Slosh a load of soapy water over the whole tyre/wheel, you will see bubbles forming where a leak or puncture is.

Might try that later when i try pressure again.

#10 faithy5690

faithy5690

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

Hi,

Another slight problem to rack your brains is my trye size?? I have been pricing them up incase i need a new one. When i put my reg in tyres websites etc it says that there are two possibilites which are 195/55H16 or 205/45V17. However here is my problem when looking at my tyres actually on the car they are neither of these sizes, they are 175/65R15???
Furthermore i telephoned a tyre company to price me a run flat in this size and as i suspected they do not exist :/, this begs the question of do i have the correct tyrs on the car and are they run flat and if so why and how did the run flat light know?????
Very strange...............

#11 Andywade

Andywade

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

Did you buy your mini second hand? some mini's come with run flats some dont, but the sensor is present with or without the runflat tyres - the sensor doesnt care what tyre your using it just knows that the wheels should be turning at the same speed.

I went on http://www.blackcircles.com/ and typed in the tyres you stated 175 65 15 and selected the run flat option and it said there aren't any.

Want to post up a picture of your tyres? (with the info off of the sidewall) I'll be able to tell you if they are run-flats or not.

#12 faithy5690

faithy5690

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

Did you buy your mini second hand? some mini's come with run flats some dont, but the sensor is present with or without the runflat tyres - the sensor doesnt care what tyre your using it just knows that the wheels should be turning at the same speed.

I went on http://www.blackcircles.com/ and typed in the tyres you stated 175 65 15 and selected the run flat option and it said there aren't any.

Want to post up a picture of your tyres? (with the info off of the sidewall) I'll be able to tell you if they are run-flats or not.

Hi, sorry it has been a while. Indeed andy you are right i do not have run flat tyres after finding out that they do not do them in that size!! ooops!
However, it was still strange as i drove on the tyre for two days and it didn't go flat! hence the reason i thought they were run flats ^_^/ Anyway after checking the pressure again it was obvious i had a puncture so i managed to get it repaired on saturday morning and didn't have to fork out for a new tyre! good news! by the way i would recommend etyres who came out to repair it they were really efficient and good value.

thanks for all your help guys.

toodles for now :lol:

#13 Andywade

Andywade

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

glad you got it all sorted - seeing as you don't have a spare wheel/tyre in your MINI I'd suggest getting one of them emergency repair kit thingies

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165664

Something like that should do you right, might find it cheaper elsewhere i just googled it and that was top result.

also when are you gonna get yourself a propper mini then? those BINI's are nice and all but you know you want a real one right :lol:

#14 faithy5690

faithy5690

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:17 PM

glad you got it all sorted - seeing as you don't have a spare wheel/tyre in your MINI I'd suggest getting one of them emergency repair kit thingies

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165664

Something like that should do you right, might find it cheaper elsewhere i just googled it and that was top result.

also when are you gonna get yourself a propper mini then? those BINI's are nice and all but you know you want a real one right ^_^

That looks good, might invest in one of those. I didn't realise that mini's don't have spares until my tyre went pop!!

LOL I do like the older mini's but also like a bit of luxury and shiny new too! ^_^ :lol:

#15 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

I thought MINI's had a tiny compressor and repair kit in the boot under the mat, where the spare on most cars would be, at least my girlfriends one did...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users