19 replies to this topic

#1 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

Could someone give me some advice on getting my G/Fs 1293 mini setup in south wales. The car returns just 65miles to £10 petrol and also overuns when the ignition is cut. Another issue with the car is that it will cut out when brought to idle.

The car has Electronic ignition fitted, but with the car came and aldon Yellow distributor Brand new ready to fit and a Lucas Sports Gold coil. Should i fit these to get better economy/ performance from the engine.

:wales:

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

The Yellow dizzy and coil may offer you increased performance, but I am not sure about improving economy.

£10 is about 2.5 gallons aint it? So that's not great economy is it. Erm, what spec engine is it? Has it just had the rebore or has it had a load of other mods too? If it is a mild tuned engine then (assuming average driving conditions) it should do better than that. The 'run on' could be related to the timing being out. Has the car been set-up to run on unleaded?

As far as tuners are concerned, I am not sure about ones in South Wales, but there are a few in the midlands that could probably help.

#3 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

Heres the engine spec...
1293cc overbored fitted with forged flat top pistons, Cooper S rods, lightened and balanced crank and flywheel, 4 bolt centre main strap, Kent 266 cam, 1.5 ratio rollertip rockers, Stage 4 Head: 36mm inlet 31mm exhaust valves fully ported and flowed. Hiff 44 1"3/4 SU carb fully ported flowed and polised, K+N cone filter, Maiflow inlet manifold and large bore LCB, Playmini large bore stainless steel side exit exhaust.

#4 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

be Jesus! That's a nice spec motor!

Erm, well. I'd say get it to a tuner and get it rolling roaded (still not sure what's in your area but am looking), but with a higher spec engine like that, economy isn't normally the highest priority on a builders list.

#5 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

All the engine work was done when we bought the car, to be honest my mrs isnt interested in performace, and i drive a cosworth so it all seems a bit of a waste.

So you recon fit the dizzy, and coil and get it RR setup. It seems a shame to remove the electronic ignition, because points hate the rain. What is the best way to protect them from moisture?

#6 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:50 PM

you can have my engine and then i will have yours!!! :lol:

Mine is running ok!!

Best bet is to get a rolling road tune up but not sure where in wales is good.

#7 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:05 PM

if you were closer mate I would probably do that!

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

I would check with aldon as to whether you can use a sports coil with thier electronic ignition. I doubt they will say yes. This may be one issue to rectify before you take to the rollers

#9 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

sorry mate, the car is fitted with metro electronic ignition now, I am going back to points with the aldon yellow dizzy.

#10 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

stick with the electronic ignition!

#11 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

so is it possible to dial in the elcetronic ignition more accurately?

#12 SCURVY DOG

SCURVY DOG

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:14 PM

what needle are you useing

i am running a engine same exept a 276 cam and only stage 2 head

i am using a BBA that was fitted on a rolling road

i am using electronic metro dizzy

need to check you maximum advance

mine was 54 degrees way to much

they set it to maximum 36 degress at about 3500 rpm which is then 14 degrees at tick over

check with vacum pipe diconeted hope this help

was set up at southam minis near warick

#13 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

thanks for that help scurvy, I am not sure what needle is in the car, but with the car came a BDK needle. What sort of power are you seeing from that setup?

#14 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

I have almost exactly the same engine spec as you, except I'm running closer to a 280 degree cam (Morspeed trackday cam) and a few other engine mods, and mine returns 40+ mpg (depending how its driven - at 70 on the motorway its very economical, on the back roads slightly less so!) and makes roughly 95-100bhp.

I run an Aldon yellow non vac dizzy with the ignitor, lucas sports coil, HIF44 with BDR needle set to 11.9deg BTDC at 1000rpm, mixture at 3.5% CO at idle if I remember rightly (was rollered in August so those figures are from memory!).

If you have a strobe timing light you will be able to set the timing quite accurately, and a colourtune will help you get the mixture somewhere near, although you will need to find a needle thats somewhere near. Simon @ Morspeed suggested the BDR for running mine in, and it seemed to be the right one when it was rollered too.

Hope that helps a bit :lol:

#15 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

how hard is it to get to the needle in the carb to check what is in there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users