51 replies to this topic

#16 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

so the sub is good but you say the speakers will need more power of the head unit, i don't think you understand maybe i warmt clear enough.if i do not run the sub the kenwood amp powers the speakers but when i have a sub i use 2 channels 4 the sub and the other 2 for the speakers. My worry would be that the sub does not get enough power, 200 watt and thats what its rms is and i thought it was good for the amp to use more power than the rms. e

#17 pbrain

pbrain

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

so the sub is good but you say the speakers will need more power of the head unit, i don't think you understand maybe i warmt clear enough.if i do not run the sub the kenwood amp powers the speakers but when i have a sub i use 2 channels 4 the sub and the other 2 for the speakers. My worry would be that the sub does not get enough power, 200 watt and thats what its rms is and i thought it was good for the amp to use more power than the rms. e

the amplifier you chose is a 2 channel amplifer...2 outputs = 1 left & 1 right. I presumed you where going to have it in bridge mode and power the sub.
That amp will not power a pair of components AND a sub at the same time. (well actually you can, but it involves using a high power 2.1 passive crossover).

What you're describing, you need a 3 or 4 channel amp. 2 channels for the components (Left + Right) and another 1 (or 2 in bridge) for the subwoofer.

have a look for a second hand, quality 4x50wRMS or 4x100wRMS amp, check the details because sometimes the bridged output doubles the combined wattage (i had a JBL 40.4, 4 x 40wRMS into 4ohm, but when 2 channels became bridged they output 160wRMS into 4ohms)

#18 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

Pbrain

He listed two amps. A 2 channel for just a set of comps or a 4 channel if he was going to run a Sub.

He’s not planning to running anything off the headunit.

#19 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

hmm, im having trouble with talk audio, i am now registered but cant look at the sale section. It says that they would like me to read the rules but i cant find any stupid rules

#20 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

yes ruckus is right :)

#21 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

i like the look of this: http://caraudiosecur...s_id/10922.html
i thought the extra 50 watt would put less strain on the amp, your thought

#22 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

hmm, im having trouble with talk audio, i am now registered but cant look at the sale section. It says that they would like me to read the rules but i cant find any stupid rules

Go to the TA site in another window and log in.

then click this link.

http://www.talkaudio...um/46-for-sale/

what a happens?

I've confirmed with the Team that new user do have read only access to the For Sale and Wanted section.

plus just ignore the Pink Rules banner thing, it will go away and it does not stop you accessing anything.

#23 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

yup its started working thanks :)

#24 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

what would you recomend for £600?

#25 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

what would you recomend for £600?

http://www.theminifo...x...t&p=2143778

:)

#26 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

ic...

#27 chalkie

chalkie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: LOOKING!!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

I haven't read all of this thread but sounds like your new to sound system. Therefore keep it very simple! Don't buy silly wattage or great power just buy good quality e.g kenwood vibe or clarion or Sony. You can't go wrong. £600 is loads to do a whole system run 2 speakers in the front using speaker pods found at any good mini parts place and wire them to the head unit they will act as your high profile. Then buy some 6" bass speakers pop them under the rear seat again using a board designed for this. Amplify the back 2 using a 2 channel amp and bolt it under thenparcel shelf. If too big mount it to the back of the rear seat seat. Drilling is required to feed a couple of wires to the front but it's worth it as they will then be completely hidden. Also don't be afraid of using lots of tape to keep te wires down to the floors and don't leave excess everywhere.
Good luck with the build and send us some pictures of your car.

#28 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

I haven't read all of this thread but sounds like your new to sound system. Therefore keep it very simple! Don't buy silly wattage or great power just buy good quality e.g kenwood vibe or clarion or Sony. You can't go wrong. £600 is loads to do a whole system run 2 speakers in the front using speaker pods found at any good mini parts place and wire them to the head unit they will act as your high profile. Then buy some 6" bass speakers pop them under the rear seat again using a board designed for this. Amplify the back 2 using a 2 channel amp and bolt it under thenparcel shelf. If too big mount it to the back of the rear seat seat. Drilling is required to feed a couple of wires to the front but it's worth it as they will then be completely hidden. Also don't be afraid of using lots of tape to keep te wires down to the floors and don't leave excess everywhere.
Good luck with the build and send us some pictures of your car.

Eerr thanks for that...

Please if your going to 'help' make the effort and read the advise already given!

Avoid Sony unless it old skool, new stuff like there xplod is utter crap.
Subs (99%) should be installed in a enclosure not just on a board even if it is 'designed' for it.
Amp the front speakers first then add a sub.

To be honest we covered all this with matty in this and other threads but you wouldn't know that...

#29 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

yup i am completely new to the world or ice. My plans follow nearly the same lines as your recommendation but with a two channel amp powering the speakers up front and an active sub in the boot. I will be gettinsome sound proofing, dynamic super light sheets, just wonder if i can put it in the doors, looks very thick. Im only going to get a simple stereo, only want it to play cds. I will probably go to someone to istall the system so it is done well and there are no problems. I am going to go for well known quality brands. one question i have which is anothee of my stupid ones is. Woild speckers in the door create sound stage? Ive just heard some different things but i dont think it would the soumds going into ur feet right?

#30 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

hahahahaa dont be rude ruckus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users