#31 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

Matty - Try www.the12volt.com and have a good read about the basics of resistance, Ohms law, crossovers, sub enclosures & wiring and if your feeling adventurous How to make a fiberglass enclosure

It is a very good site and can teach you a lot about the questions you seem to have. Hope that helps.

#32 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

oooh thanks i will have a good read in sure it will be helpful

#33 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

yup i am completely new to the world or ice. My plans follow nearly the same lines as your recommendation but with a two channel amp powering the speakers up front and an active sub in the boot. I will be gettinsome sound proofing, dynamic super light sheets, just wonder if i can put it in the doors, looks very thick. Im only going to get a simple stereo, only want it to play cds. I will probably go to someone to istall the system so it is done well and there are no problems. I am going to go for well known quality brands. one question i have which is anothee of my stupid ones is. Woild speckers in the door create sound stage? Ive just heard some different things but i dont think it would the soumds going into ur feet right?

As long as you aim the speakers a little then yes door installs for the mids can work.

My IASCA competition car (S2000) had speakers in the doors and tweeters on the dash and it imaged the sound stage well enough to get to very good results.
Also my M3 at the moment has the same set up and the stage is better than my mini...

Edited by Ruckus, 03 June 2011 - 08:18 PM.

#34 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

hahahahaa dont be rude ruckus

Well don't really mean to be but... It's hard to stay calm when are 5 miles down the road and a post takes us back 2 miles and on different road! LoL

by the way is that focal sub active??
Edit]
No it's not will need an amp. More I look at that focal sub the more I like the look of it. I might get one to have play. :)

Edited by Ruckus, 03 June 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#35 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

well thats the thing there is an 8 inch active one which looks good 2, run the speakers of 2 channel kenwood and have the active sub. Its nice and small 2. I think thats the suit to go. And thats good about the door thing pointing it up, i dont like the pods under the dash unless they sit flush like yours

Edited by matty1275, 03 June 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#36 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

well thats the thing there is an 8 inch active one which looks good 2, run the speakers of 2 channel kenwood and have the active sub. Its nice and small 2. I think thats the suit to go. And thats good about the door thing pointing it up, i dont like the pods under the dash unless they sit flush like yours

If you don't mind having no boot space get the 10 and a 4 channel amp. You will love the bass :)
I promise.

#37 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

If you don't mind having no boot space get the 10 and a 4 channel amp. You will love the bass smile.gif
I promise.

Ah, but with some clever planning & thinking you can keep all your boot space with a 10" installed. :)

I managed it by putting the sub in the passenger rear bin & the amp in the drivers rear bin. Get the right sub & you don't need that much volume (box size) so they do fit. (Check my project thread to see)

#38 minilester

minilester

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

If you don't mind having no boot space get the 10 and a 4 channel amp. You will love the bass :)
I promise.

this is what i had... very close to what Ruckus has in his boot.. but a tad more "humble" shall we say.
i had
2 x 6.5inch co-ax in the parcel shelf off the HU
2 x 6x9s on 1st and 2nd channel of the amp on a high pass cut off set at 250hz
and the last 2 channels bridged going to a 10" sub in the boot on a low pass set at 250hz
.. it sounded bloody fantastic.. the co-ax i got with the car as well as the 6x9s so i only paid for the 4way amp and the sub plus wiring!

£150 for the amp and £60 for the sub........ and almost £80 for the wiring (i chose the upgrade the big three)

#39 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:20 AM

I've spent less than £250 on components (1x1ch & 1x4ch amps, 6.5" comp's & 1x10" sub) but I did already had the HU. It just proves you dont need to spend mega-bucks to have an awesome setup, just utilise what you have to it's best ability with positioning etc.

#40 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:13 AM

If you don't mind having no boot space get the 10 and a 4 channel amp. You will love the bass smile.gif
I promise.

Ah, but with some clever planning & thinking you can keep all your boot space with a 10" installed. :)

I managed it by putting the sub in the passenger rear bin & the amp in the drivers rear bin. Get the right sub & you don't need that much volume (box size) so they do fit. (Check my project thread to see)

Matty is trying to keep this first install as simple as possible. A pre built and factory tuned box is his best option. But yes not the best use of space.

#41 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

i plan on saying around that but i will also be getting sound proofing and a new head unit. ruckus you would in 4 the 10 inch powered by 2 channels rather than the 8 inch active ok. By the way i dont mind not having boot space, i have back seats

#42 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

i plan on saying around that but i will also be getting sound proofing and a new head unit. ruckus you would in 4 the 10 inch powered by 2 channels rather than the 8 inch active ok. By the way i dont mind not having boot space, i have back seats

#43 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

this is what i had... very close to what Ruckus has in his boot.. but a tad more "humble" shall we say.
i had
2 x 6.5inch co-ax in the parcel shelf off the HU
2 x 6x9s on 1st and 2nd channel of the amp on a high pass cut off set at 250hz
and the last 2 channels bridged going to a 10" sub in the boot on a low pass set at 250hz
.. it sounded bloody fantastic.. the co-ax i got with the car as well as the 6x9s so i only paid for the 4way amp and the sub plus wiring!

£150 for the amp and £60 for the sub........ and almost £80 for the wiring (i chose the upgrade the big three)

Glad you like the system, but I must add a couple of point of reference for the masses.
Subs should be crossed over as low as possible, no more that 120hz. Most SQ systems will have the sub bass crossed at about 70 or 80. My mini system is crossed at 63hz. Over a 100hz is mid bass really.

Also if you have to install full range or comps on the rear shelf. Then you must give them an encolsure of their own IF there is sub in the boot. Subs move BIG air... those little speakers sharing the air space will just get pushed around by the sub. At best this will mess up the sound coming for the full range speakers and at worst it's will kill them!

Edited by Ruckus, 04 June 2011 - 08:31 AM.

#44 pbrain

pbrain

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

Pbrain

He listed two amps. A 2 channel for just a set of comps or a 4 channel if he was going to run a Sub.

He’s not planning to running anything off the headunit.

Doh!!!

my bad, i didn't see the link to the 4 channel amp...i'll get my coat :)

#45 matty1275

matty1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

dont u meqan glasses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users