I have been completely blown away by all the support I've had recently. This forum and the others I am on are full of like-minded people who have problems with what they're doing too. Everyone's kind words and encouragement has rejuvenated me. If I could I would bring a couple of crates of beer and just say "help yourselves". I think that the "knocking it on the head" rant I had last weekend has done me the world of good. I've had a long think about what I have achieved and that little set-backs ALWAYS have a solution. Just for the record though, I will NOT be rushing to get this finished in time for the 10th anniversary of me getting it. I'd rather do it properly. Dom, the selector has been extended by 3 3/4" as per the Midas Manual - the issues I have had is simply to do with the tunnel being the wrong shape for the selector - see my update below.
Which brings me on to my next update, and it IS a better one. I have re-attached the gear selector properly, and has made quite a difference. I jumped on to the Mini Spares website as they do have a bracket to attach a rod change selector to a remote change tunnel (which is much more "rounded" for those that don't know). I had initially rejected the bracket due to its cost and made my own (it was out of stock back then), but as I am working from home and not commuting at the moment, I bought one and had it DHL'd to my eager waiting palms.
First thing I noticed when getting the bracket out of the packet was that it didn't quite line up. That was a really easy fix - a gentle tap with Clyde the Club Hammer saw everything brought back in line. The second thing I realised was just how much smaller the bracket was in comparison to the one I'd made. Yes, I'd used the bigger cotton reel mounts on mine, but there was quite a significant difference. This would really help with fixing the issues with exhaust clearance. The new bracket is also angled to the rear of the car, so new holes needed drilling. But I am not that untidy - I spent some time filling in the old holes so I wouldn't get road spray when it rains.
I then lined up the bracket having attached it to the bottom of the selector, made some marks and drilled some holes. I bolted up the brackets first then slotted the bolt through the selector. I then made sure that I could easily select all gears. SUCCESS! In the words of a guy called Tony who used to work on my Mini back in the 90s: "Well I ain't takin' that f***er off again!" There is SO much more room there for an exhaust now. Very pleased.
I am now waiting to hear back from Maniflow as I also shot them an e-mail last Sunday. I expect that they're on a skeleton staff at the moment. I will chase it up in a couple of weeks.
Difference in brackets quite substantial.
Holes filled in
Nuts have appeared and are holding stuff in place!
And doesn't it look neat all tucked up there!