Photo

Whos Rollered Their Car?

Best Answer leadly , 11 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Still need to get my finger out and test rollering out on my old bonnet to see what I can acheive. Alot of roller projects look great on the net but I still don't think i'v seen a good job in the flesh yet....unless they were that good I didnt realise it was rollered. lol Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#16 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

My mate roller painted his caddy with gray floor paint that he got given. Came out pretty well lol.

Posted Image

#17 Surfbluegarage

Surfbluegarage

AKA mini_mad_daps

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Local Club: Notts About Minis

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

see darkscamps scamp took it 14 minutes to repaint it.lol

#18 flamenco

flamenco

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Local Club: Malta Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

I've painted my mini (daily runner) with a roller and it still looks good two years later. Fixing and painting a wing is now much cheaper than ever!! All I've used is locally sourced gloss enamel paints!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 eeae6000

eeae6000

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

what did you use for rollers and clear, did you prep alot before hand?

#20 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

I can appreciate all your work but to me.....Tamiya models get model paint.......house masonry gets masonry paint.......faces get face paint.....so why should a car get anything other than car paint? Seeing as its designed for the job and all.......

#21 MJWarren

MJWarren

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

I can appreciate all your work but to me.....Tamiya models get model paint.......house masonry gets masonry paint.......faces get face paint.....so why should a car get anything other than car paint? Seeing as its designed for the job and all.......

Im in the same position as mini 360, Pictures look ok finish wise im sure if i saw the car in the flesh my opinion would be different.

#22 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

Think you are being a little harsh lads. Some can't aford for a top paint job, me included, or have the facilities to doi it at home, me included, so little choice than to roller. I think that Sonik showed in his thread how a wrinkly paint job can be polished out, same with rollering. Dolly the camper has a mint roof, I think rollering just needs more work!

Edited by grahama, 02 October 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#23 flamenco

flamenco

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Local Club: Malta Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

I used high density 4 inch foam rollers. With regards to prepwork, you obviously have to make sure the car is spot on prior to painting as every small mark shows up after painting...I gave it 2 coats of primer and then about 6 coats of paint, sanding between each 2 coats.

With regards to the finish, I agree it doesn't look as professional as a spray job, but in a country like Malta were roads are so small and the amount of cars is high and keeps on increasing...you wouldn't want anything other than a little mini with a cheap paint job...it so easy to get a dent over here especially were I work (at the University, so many new drivers, believe me they're scary!!!). So I won't have to worry on getting dented, it would only cost about three hours job and about 10 euros of paint & rollers!.

The two other minis I have on the road are sprayed using proper 2K paint, but for the daily driver, it does the job just fine, and looks great from a couple of meters away!!

#24 Foxy10

Foxy10

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Local Club: Crewe's Missiles

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

i did mine :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Swainy

Swainy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Local Club: Sexy People Only Mini Club

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

Some good work! Very tempted to do this myself!

#26 minimo

minimo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm there dude!

#27 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

I've rollered Pootle with Rustoleum and got a really good finish. I'll try and get some decent pic's at the weekend, but after flatting back with 1200 and then running the mop over it with G3 cutting compound I am really impressed with it.

This was prepped
Posted Image
this was 2 days after the 2nd coat was applied
Posted Image
and this was post mopping (but before i put the polish on last night :) )
Posted Image

The biggest issue I found was dust getting in whilst it was tacking off (can take a couple of hours, but much quicker if you use celly thinners instead of white spirits). and it does take more time, if I had got the compressor and gun out it would have been done inside and out within a day, rolling has taken about 6-7 days of work (but my time is free :P)

Finish wise (and depth of paint), much better than I have ever got with rattle cans, and so much less mess than spraying (plus no need for any special equipment.

There is a rolleredon forum, some of the finishes they have achieved is quite amazing

Edited by craig 1010cc, 05 October 2011 - 11:35 AM.

#28 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

Have a look here for info and inspiration

http://rolledon.foru...com/f2-projects

#29 ROB1380

ROB1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

thought it was about time i got a couple pics of mine up as yet it hasnt been polished so what do you think peeps?

#30 leadly

leadly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Local Club: [] D.C.M.O.C []

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:49 AM   Best Answer

Still need to get my finger out and test rollering out on my old bonnet to see what I can acheive. Alot of roller projects look great on the net but I still don't think i'v seen a good job in the flesh yet....unless they were that good I didnt realise it was rollered. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users